Pet Shenanigans

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You clearly grew up in the boonies!

Me? No. I'm from suburbia.

Next shenanigan:

Back before we were married, my wife had her own apartment for a while. One evening, after spending the day with me, she returned home to find one of her two cats... missing. Her other cat was present and unconcerned. Her door had been closed and locked when she arrived, and there was a stairway and another closed and locked door between her place and the outside world. She checked, and her landlord had not been in the apartment that day. Nothing in the place was disturbed.

Now, this was a tiny apartment, I think under 600 square feet, including the bath. There wasn't much of a place for a cat to hide. She checked under and behind furniture, and still no cat. She checked if windows had been open (they weren't). She started looking up in the drop ceiling, because she couldn't think of anywhere else he could be. Finally convinced that he simply could not be in the apartment, she decided she should start looking outside and in the neighborhood. She went to her dresser to get something warmer to wear, opened the bottom drawer, and there was the cat, curled up and now blinking blearily at her because she had interrupted his nap.

Apparently, he had managed to crawl under the dresser, pop the back of the drawer off, and crawl inside the nice dark, warm soft fabric filled cat nesting spot.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Our aforementioned non-hunting Maine Coon did something similar. He found a way to get into the cabinets where the Tender Vittles were. He started by opening a drawer, then climbing into the space behind it, and crawling through the gaps behind the other cabinets & drawers until he found the one he wanted.

We probably never would have found this out, but he got stuck one time. Basically the housecat equivalent of:
Has-Santa-come-early-No-its-just-a-thief-stuck-in-the-roof.png

I'm from suburbia.

Huh. Most cities & suburbs don’t let you keep live animals for slaughter within city limits. Back in the 1970s, the people living across from my grandparents in NOLA kept chickens, bu that was (mostly) for eggs.

No chickens there, these days.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
At my parents' house, we once had a baby bat fly into the upstairs bedroom. It was flying up at the ceiling, circling round and round the lampshade. Our cat got up on the bed, and was watching the little critter, clearly fascinated, as we were figuring out what to do with it.

And then she simply did a six-foot vertical leap, and came down with the bat in her jaws. Impressive and tragic all at the same time.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Some animals are just freaky...[video=youtube_share;HK4M14SpY7U]https://youtu.be/HK4M14SpY7U[/video][video=youtube_share;93xRBQHPfWs]https://youtu.be/93xRBQHPfWs[/video]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And then she simply did a six-foot vertical leap, and came down with the bat in her jaws. Impressive and tragic all at the same time.

And, here I must note to our US readers - in North America, rabies is endemic in bats. If your pet has been exposed (like, say, by biting a bat) take them to a veterinarian *immediately*. Better yet, do not let your animal come in contact with bats.

Remove ads