Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Many do not have FLGS near them. It would be nice if these people could buy the books online, if not from Amazon, then from the publisher.

Which is a valid complaint. But not one raised that complaint. No one was complaining about not being able to get to this edition, but being forced to buy it without a discount.

You can certainly get the regular slipcase box at Amazon prices, just not this collector's edition variant.
Well... there are quite a few FLGS who sell online. So a little bit of searching ahead should be able to get you one. I recommend Noble Knight or Miniature Market. Keep an eye on those and pre-order when available. Emailing ahead to ask if they're getting extras would not hurt.

rknop

Adventurer
Uh.... the rules that are necessary to play if you're going to play the full game beyond what's in the Basic Rules.

In other words: sure, you can get some of the supplements and adventures as PDFs. This is held up as evidence that WotC likes PDFs. But you can't get the core rulesbooks as PDFs, which are the primary ones everybody would want. If the Basic Set was good enough, then nobody would want to have the core rulebooks in hardcover either, and that's patently absurd.

unknowable

Explorer
Damn, I want the alternate covers... and now wish I had gotten the other alternate covers along the way.

I never got them because I always felt it would be a waste with them not matching the rest of the set... But now...

This said, I was planning on selling off my pathfinder collection (it just doesn't fill a niche I feel like running anymore)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Please tell these are not real photos of the alternative covers. Because me and my wife agree they are bad.

They are and you and your wife have no taste.

I KID! I KID!

But I do really like these alternative covers--a lot. Not enough to spend $170 on in my current situation, but if I was a little more flush with funds, I would love to have these on my bookshelf.

Lucky for you, you have a choice. You can buy the standard covers, buy a digital version, or not buy at all.

Though, as I write that, I realize I'm being a bit too snarky. If you are a collector, perhaps buying alternative covers from prior editions, and are disappointed with this editions alternative covers, I can understand your disappointment. I guess I figure collectors buy them because they are less common and to be completionists, whether they like the items or not.

Anyway, each to their own. Sorry you don't like them. If someone buys you a set, I'd happily buy them from you at a discount. :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There is also an Android app, which means it is available on Android phones, tablets, and many Chromebooks. Apple is playing with running iOS apps on their macs as well. The D&D Beyond apps, which are still in beta at the moment, are currently e-readers only, but the team is working on expanding functionality to mirror the online website.

I have downloaded all of my purchased material to the app, but I prefer the site right now. I don't have any trouble with lack of wifi where I am so offline capability is not a concern of mine, but I know it is a big deal for many folks.

Right, didn't look it up. So they really just need to get a windows app out.

I've never enjoyed reading books from a laptop and especially a desktop. I use the DnD Beyond website when prepping my games or to look something up or have reference material/monster stats in different tabs while running a game. But I much prefer reading the books on the app on my iPhone. Same with Kindle. I should probably get a new iPad. The one that I have is fist gen and too old for most apps now and too heavy to enjoy reading for long periods of time. Heck, maybe with a good tablet I might come to enjoy reading PDFs. :)

I won't debate functionality with you. Because in a way you are right, if all I want to do is get to my neighbors, shoes work really well. But if I want to get 20,000 KG to my neighbors, or I want to go 20 KM shoes suck. So if all you want to do is read formatted text then PDF does that for you. Good for you.

which is why every other game company releases all their stuff as PDFs.
Is flat out wrong. You're attempting to strengthen your case with an absolute that is a fallacy. No point in discussing that further.

While all of these may do some things that PDFs do not, none of them serve the purpose that a simple PDF would serve. That is, having a file in a non-proprietary format that you can read on whatever device and with whatever software you want to read it with. A simple electronic copy of the text and layout that does not require regular subscription fees to maintain.
Another pair of fallacies,
1) you can not read a PDF on whatever device you want with whatever software you want. I can not read one using Discord nor can I read one on my microwave. Again, you are trying to strengthen your arguments with absolutes that are not true.
2) not all digital versions of 5E products require a subscription. Here you are just misinformed or uninformed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases