Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

I was curious about the errata as I've bought a second PHB that says it includes revisions, 3 in my local FLGS said the same, first printing but includes revisions...but all still have the 4th bullet in the dungeon delver feat. What printing should I be looking for for this normal PHB?

Im almost ready to order these for the errata and covers being a cool secondary bonus. My books are still in great shape 3+ years later.

To see which print run it is you have to look at the code underneath the print info; "9 8 7 6 5 4 ..." every print run they remove one number.

Printings and print runs are two different things. There have been multiple print runs of each printing, for all we know. The most recent errata document I can find on the WotC site lists updates for the 6th printing of the PHB.

delericho

Legend
...and you know what format you still can't get the core books in? PDF! When is WotC going to realize that we're in the second decade of the 21st century?

I'm with you. But unfortunately it's pretty clear now that WotC won't be putting any of their current-edition material out in PDF form. So it doesn't look like we'll ever be seeing PDFs of these books.

(Well, until the next edition... but I don't think there will ever be another new edition either.)

Though, fortunately, my record on predictions is... poor.

KentDT

Explorer
Well, I've held off on the the other special cover books but these I'm thinking I've gotta have.
But, I live in Japan. Anyone else living out of the USA had a good experience with a direct order to a game store for any of the easier special covers? Any recommendations on what game store to order from?

Well, I've held off on the the other special cover books but these I'm thinking I've gotta have.
But, I live in Japan. Anyone else living out of the USA had a good experience with a direct order to a game store for any of the easier special covers? Any recommendations on what game store to order from?
I’m in Australia and have had nothing but fantastic dealings with Noble Knight Games. I’d definitely recommend them.

pukunui

Legend
I'm not sure we actually have any FLGS left in the country! Cards stores, warhammer stores but no actual rpg stores, some will sell DnD but certainly not special editions. So either online or drive 3 hours for me, that's if I can get them to stock it! Unlikely to even make it to NZ
The shops here in Auckland sell the special edition covers.

darjr

I crit!
WotC does indeed have current edition stuff available as PDF. The Magic setting books for instance. There are others. WotC does release and depend upon PDF releases, they do like the format.

Nice covers! Hopefully they don't fall off like mine did. :eek: (shots fired!)

Also, before anyone mentions a free replacement: I'm outside of the USA, and shipping costs are ridiculous.

rknop

Adventurer
WotC does indeed have current edition stuff available as PDF. The Magic setting books for instance. There are others. WotC does release and depend upon PDF releases, they do like the format.

But not the core books -- the ones that are necessary to play.

A Stray Cat

Villager
AFAIK DnD Beyond's offline reader is only available for iOS at this point. So for offline use, yes, you are quite limited to which devices to use (iPADs and iPhones basically). But, I have to say, that reading the DnD material in the DnD Beyond app on my iPhone X is an excellent experience. I actually read the entire Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes on my phone and have barely done any reading in the physical book. Also, I can created foldered book marks so that I can organize rules in a way that makes sense to me across all the books. I can also search across all my downloaded content and see the results from multiple sources listed together.

PDFs have their role as an archive format and it is more likely that I'll be able to access my old PDFs 20 years from now than DnD Beyond, but that is why I buy the books. For digital content, I want something that is easy and pleasant and convenient to use. I don't really worry about whether I'll be able to use it years from now.

There is also an Android app, which means it is available on Android phones, tablets, and many chromebooks. Apple is playing with running iOS apps on their macs as well. The D&D Beyond apps, which are still in beta at the moment, are currently e-readers only, but the team is working on expanding functionality to mirror the online website.

I have downloaded all of my purchased material to the app, but I prefer the site right now. I don't have any trouble with lack of wifi where I am so offline capability is not a concern of mine, but I know it is a big deal for many folks.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads