How big's the RPG market?

How big is the RPG market? Pretty damn tiny, is the answer. As of 2016/2017 it's about $35m in size, according to ICv2. That's of a Hobby Games market currently worth just over a billion dollars. The RPG segment is a mere 2.9% of the overall Hobby Games market, which includes boardgames, miniatures, hobby card games, and collectible games. Of course, the competition for RPGs isn't just boardgames or card games, it's entertainment; and on that scale, the RPG market is a tiny niche of the Hobby Games market, which is a tiny niche of the global entertainment market. Note that these figures are US and Canada only, and include Kickstarter sales.

UPDATE: the below $1.19B figure has since been revised upwards by ICv2 to $1.4B in 2017, with an RPG segment of $45M.

hobby_games_market_size.png

The hobby games market as a whole is the size of one major movie blockbuster. The global film industry market was 38.3 billion in 2015. Putting that into perspective:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.50.56.png

The video game industry is even bigger, at $91B in 2016.

video_game.png

However, the entire hobby games market is growing year on year. Just look at the latest stats: the market has grown from $700M in 2013 to $1.19B in 2016/2017. Of that, RPGs have more than doubled in size, from $15M to $35M. Boardgames have over tripled in size. There is definitely a tabletop boom going on right now, powered by a number of factors ranging from Kickstarter, to the introduction of US West Coast media (shows like Tabletop and outlets like Geek & Sundry have helped to mainstream tabletop gaming), and more.

Data from ICv2 and other sources.

SaveSave
SaveSave
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Freeloaders bother me.

They aren't freeloading. Freeloaders are people who take advantage of the generosity of others, but give nothing in return. I buy enough stuff for a group to play a game. They come and give me a game in return. I would not purchase *any* materials if I didn't have a group to play with. The large number of people who don't need to purchase are required to make the games run.

Ted Serious

First Post
They aren't freeloading. Freeloaders are people who take advantage of the generosity of others, but give nothing in return. I buy enough stuff for a group to play a game. They come and give me a game in return. I would not purchase *any* materials if I didn't have a group to play with. The large number of people who don't need to purchase are required to make the games run.
Players should have their own books that they need to for their characters. So they aren't constantly passing around one book at the table and can build or level them on their own.

I understand there are casual players. It surprised if they're such a vast majority.

Eis

Explorer
Players should have their own books that they need to for their characters. So they aren't constantly passing around one book at the table and can build or level them on their own.

I understand there are casual players. It surprised if they're such a vast majority.

its nice but I don't think that it falls under the category of SHOULD

I dm for my son's friends.....a couple of them have bought players' handbooks but not all of them have and it isn't necessary

Emerikol

Adventurer
Let's be honest here. There are very, very few hobbies out there as cheap to enjoy as roleplaying.

This can't be emphasized enough. Compared to almost any hobby RPG's are really cheap. I have two hobbies. Reading rpg rules and playing rpgs. The former hobby makes more money for the industry than the latter but it's a team effort.

Hussar

Legend

Why surprised? It's always been thus. The number of gamers who buy books is a tiny, tiny minority of players.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why surprised? It's always been thus. The number of gamers who buy books is a tiny, tiny minority of players.

I dunno if "tiny, tiny minority" is appropriate. If we say every GM, and then one in five players, on broad average, I think that'd be about right - and that's 20% of players. A minority, but not a *tiny* minority.

However, the entire hobby games market is growing year on year. Just look at the latest stats: the market has grown from $700M in 2013 to $1.19B in 2016/2017. Of that, RPGs have more than doubled in size, from $15M to $35M. Boardgames have over tripled in size. There is definitely a tabletop boom going on right now, powered by a number of factors ranging from Kickstarter, to the introduction of US West Coast media (shows like Tabletop and outlets like Geek & Sundry have helped to mainstream tabletop gaming), and more.

Just to put that into perspective 2013 was the absolute nadir for the RPG market - it was the year where WotC did not put out a single RPG book - none for 4e and 5e wasn't out yet. The goal for 4e was $50 million/year (it didn't make that, but that was considered plausible).

Hussar

Legend
I dunno if "tiny, tiny minority" is appropriate. If we say every GM, and then one in five players, on broad average, I think that'd be about right - and that's 20% of players. A minority, but not a *tiny* minority.

But, even of DM's, how many DM's are like me that buy the core books and maybe one book every two years? My "gotta catch'em all" days died in early 2e. Heck, WotC recognizes that most people aren't buying books and have a production schedule that is the slowest D&D has seen in decades.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I'd say over 50% of my players owned at least one book. I as DM always bought all three. The DMG and MM aren't for PCs anyway right? ;-).

I think we were old enough during 3e/4e that we could all financially afford it. In my younger 1e days, I was so desperate to get a monster manual, that I bet my dad I could swim the length of our pool underwater three times. The pool was 44 feet long. I didn't drown but I think I was in distress in a very bad way when I finally reached the final steps. Dad bought me the book.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases