How big's the RPG market?

How big is the RPG market? Pretty damn tiny, is the answer. As of 2016/2017 it's about $35m in size, according to ICv2. That's of a Hobby Games market currently worth just over a billion dollars. The RPG segment is a mere 2.9% of the overall Hobby Games market, which includes boardgames, miniatures, hobby card games, and collectible games. Of course, the competition for RPGs isn't just boardgames or card games, it's entertainment; and on that scale, the RPG market is a tiny niche of the Hobby Games market, which is a tiny niche of the global entertainment market. Note that these figures are US and Canada only, and include Kickstarter sales.

How big is the RPG market? Pretty damn tiny, is the answer. As of 2016/2017 it's about $35m in size, according to ICv2. That's of a Hobby Games market currently worth just over a billion dollars. The RPG segment is a mere 2.9% of the overall Hobby Games market, which includes boardgames, miniatures, hobby card games, and collectible games. Of course, the competition for RPGs isn't just boardgames or card games, it's entertainment; and on that scale, the RPG market is a tiny niche of the Hobby Games market, which is a tiny niche of the global entertainment market. Note that these figures are US and Canada only, and include Kickstarter sales.

UPDATE: the below $1.19B figure has since been revised upwards by ICv2 to $1.4B in 2017, with an RPG segment of $45M.

hobby_games_market_size.png

The hobby games market as a whole is the size of one major movie blockbuster. The global film industry market was 38.3 billion in 2015. Putting that into perspective:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.50.56.png

The video game industry is even bigger, at $91B in 2016.

video_game.png

However, the entire hobby games market is growing year on year. Just look at the latest stats: the market has grown from $700M in 2013 to $1.19B in 2016/2017. Of that, RPGs have more than doubled in size, from $15M to $35M. Boardgames have over tripled in size. There is definitely a tabletop boom going on right now, powered by a number of factors ranging from Kickstarter, to the introduction of US West Coast media (shows like Tabletop and outlets like Geek & Sundry have helped to mainstream tabletop gaming), and more.

Data from ICv2 and other sources.

SaveSave
SaveSave
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, the overall market is larger than WOTC's $35 M... Adding just a year's worth of KS projects... well, over on RPGG, there's a list of 2017 RPG-KS, and page 1 of 24 sums up (excluding meetups, accessories, and comic collections) over $200 K and over UK £100 K...

It's not "WotC's $35M". The $35M is the tabletop RPG market in North America. And ICv2 includes Kickstarters these days, and yes, Kickstarter is helping to drive that growth.

(Note that 2017 the current size is $45M, up since the above article was written).

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1984-Top-5-RPGs-Compiled-Charts-2008-Present#.WV45NMbMxBw

Last edited by a moderator:

Ted Serious

First Post
Dollars divided by players. It looked like 2 bucks per player, it's even less.

I pay more than that to play one game. How is it a hardship to buy one book a year. D&D would rival Magic with just that bare minimum.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes.
Freeloaders bother me.
D&D has supposedly been almost dropped twice for low revenue.

Have you never watched a movie at a friend’s house, borrowed a book, taken a ride in somebody else’s car, or played a board game belonging to somebody else?

Letting other people use your stuff is not freeloading, it’s normal. I’d hate to live in a world where it wasn’t.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I it's 15 million 5e D&D players and only 100k customers for supplements, why keep printing books 95% of your fans don't want to buy.

Optional tends to sell less than mandatory. A LOT of DMs make their own worlds and their own dungeons. Also, a LOT of people buy rules but never play. Books sold is no indication of games being played. I do think Roll20 though provides some good information because it's actually playing sessions.

I own a ton of roleplaying games I have never played. I enjoy reading rpg rules :).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads