Why I feel so abysmally let down by the "Ravnica" news...

mjsoctober

Explorer
This is going to sound crazy, but my fear (and the reason I don't support, and won't buy, Ravnica) is that Hasbro is directing WotC to squeeze more money out of their properties by not only crossing over between IPs, but merging them.

Yes, my fear is that they will merge D&D with M:TG and turn it in to "Magic:The Role-Playing Game".

Let MTG be its own product. Leave D&D alone.

If anything, Eberron (being an actual D&D world) should have got the resources to complete it and release it as a hardcover, and Ravnica should have been relegated to PDF/Digital.

Now, if we're talking about wanting something new then they should have given us something original because Ravnica isn't new or original, it has existed in MTG for years. Not new. Just new to D&D.

Reynard

Legend
For the life of me I can't figure out why WotC is wasting such a precious resource as EN World. It's obvious from this thread (and many like it, whenever a new product is released) that the real answers are here, and if Mearls had just asked what to make next he would have gotten the right answer forthwith. [/sarcasm]

More seriously: companies do sometimes make boneheaded moves, but more often than not the decisions they make are based on a degree of insight and experience and proprietary information that to the outside observer it seems spurious or strange. I think most fans would do well to remember that their particular preferences don't reflect any wider trends or reveal some subtle mastery.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Now, if we're talking about wanting something new then they should have given us something original because Ravnica isn't new or original, it has existed in MTG for years. Not new. Just new to D&D.

Yeah, but you have to look at it from their side. They’ve got worlds coming out if their ears (and IP they own exclusively), it makes absolute sense to mine both that property and the fanbase that comes with it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
What you're describing is category competition. WotC is selling two products that will compete with one another due to the nature of their content. This is not like Mordekainen's Tome and Volo's Guide. Both of those, while belonging to the same category of D&D product, complement one another. Two "endless city campaigns" does not. They're stand alone products. They could be very similar in content, as least similar enough to warrant one being used and another ignored. At this stage we're just speculating. The best we could hope for is two campaign supplements that are rich enough to plunder.

Or we could buy both and smash them together! :D

Ravigil?

Sigavnica?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This is going to sound crazy, but my fear (and the reason I don't support, and won't buy, Ravnica) is that Hasbro is directing WotC to squeeze more money out of their properties by not only crossing over between IPs, but merging them.

Yes, my fear is that they will merge D&D with M:TG and turn it in to "Magic:The Role-Playing Game".

On a serious note:

They can "change" MtG, they release the blocks and define what cards can be played in what style of tournament.

So yes, they could adversely affect MtG with "merging" it with D&D, as you fear.

The only way they can "change" my D&D game is to find my books and either burn them or replace them.

I run my game, if they stop publishing things I like, I continue to play without buying stuff.

-----------------------

Of course I realize, we dont game in a vacuum, and any change in our culture, however small, could ripple around and end up influencing our games. But I don't see "The Merging" as a likely scenario.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not saying the two won't complement each other, but needing to buy two $50 books to play the campaign setting seems like a problematic design. If the book doesn't contain enough information to run the campaign setting independently, it's a bad campaign setting.

Well, they are trying to experiment with doing settings differently, by all accounts. Seems that the D&D book will be crunch and Urban genre material, without doing a deep fluff dive. We'll see how it works: conceivably many people who have no intention to run the setting might want the rules material, and many people who don't play D&D will want the fluff and art. I could see this being a very viable business model.

Remove ads