Why I feel so abysmally let down by the "Ravnica" news...

Hussar

Legend
The fact that you're pointing to Dungeon Punk, which pretty much disappeared at the tail end of 3e, I think is telling. Now, cover art? I'll grant that. The 3e covers generally weren't great. But interior art? Naw, I'll put 3.5 up against pretty much anything for that. They had some fantastic pieces.

To each his own I guess.

Zardnaar

Legend
The fact that you're pointing to Dungeon Punk, which pretty much disappeared at the tail end of 3e, I think is telling. Now, cover art? I'll grant that. The 3e covers generally weren't great. But interior art? Naw, I'll put 3.5 up against pretty much anything for that. They had some fantastic pieces.

To each his own I guess.

What books do you have with good 3E art? Mostly I think the best of 2E is better than the best or 3E.

When people seem to think of iconic D&D art not much if any of it dates from 3E it seems.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't know what any of you are talking about, XKCD as the best art.

Seriously? Art is probably the most subjective medium in the world, are we really arguing over this?

Hussar

Legend
What books do you have with good 3E art? Mostly I think the best of 2E is better than the best or 3E.

When people seem to think of iconic D&D art not much if any of it dates from 3E it seems.

Well, I think I mentioned the 3e Tome of Magic. That book is just gorgeous.

Dragon and Dungeon of the time were also just chock a block with fantastic stuff too.

I mean, 99% of the 2e stuff was just that blue background line art or just black and white line art. You didn't get full color hardcovers until 3e really. I mean, even the rereleased 2e PHB has this gem on page 14:

15-2d5fc44b76.jpg

That's just UGLY.

Zardnaar

Legend

Dragon and Dungeon of the time were also just chock a block with fantastic stuff too.

I mean, 99% of the 2e stuff was just that blue background line art or just black and white line art. You didn't get full color hardcovers until 3e really. I mean, even the rereleased 2e PHB has this gem on page 14:

15-2d5fc44b76.jpg

That's just UGLY.

It's not that bad. Yeah AD&D interiors weren't that great but the 1995 books may have had more colour than the 2000 3.0 PHB. It has not aged well.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

15-2d5fc44b76.jpg

That's just UGLY.

I don't think it's ugly, it isn't terrific but I think it's pretty good. I certainly like it better than some of the 3.5 artwork. I guess this is the issue with art, it truly is subjective. One person's ugly piece of artwork is another person's favourite.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think it's ugly, it isn't terrific but I think it's pretty good. I certainly like it better than some of the 3.5 artwork. I guess this is the issue with art, it truly is subjective. One person's ugly piece of artwork is another person's favourite.

Yeah its not great but its not that bad. The monster is a Grell, the tone is dark and fearful, the proportions of the human are correct. I have a Gemni PC that dresses the same as the 2E Bard, put that picture up lol.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It's not that bad. Yeah AD&D interiors weren't that great but the 1995 books may have had more colour than the 2000 3.0 PHB. It has not aged well.

Man, I skipped 2e, but if I knew it has Jesus vs Grells, I would have given it a chance.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well that art has aged not to bad. Jesus doesn't have an 80's haircut for example.

Yes, very 70s hip Jesus. Or a Bee Gee whose clothes were stolen.

Someone needs to make a short film of the Bee Gees as a group of three wizards in a dungeon dance-off battle.

Remove ads