D&D 5E Your top 3 official 5E full book adventures.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
We have Planescape now. Shattered Obelisk. Dragonlance, Avernus, Icewind blah blah blah Giants and Dragons and stuff.

Keep in mind not the anthology stuff, like Radiant or Yawning.

Out of what you have ran and/or played. What are your top 3.

I am actually hard-pressed to list any. I've only played/ran a handful. I own the new Planescape but haven't read it yet. I'll probably like it. There are many I would like to try, like Avernus.

Anyways, based on what I know:

1. Curse of Strahd seems the obvious #1. DMed it. It's a great adventure based on one of the greatest AD&D modules made (DMed that one as well). I'm actually kind of surprised WotC can't catch lightening twice when it comes to this kind of quality.

2. Icewind Dale. I was a player in this. Although it takes a DM worth his salt to harness this into something a tad manageable and my DM TRIED it still came off.... wobbly. I love the setting though. I had a fun time with it. Although 10 Towns became 1 Town. Oops.

3. Storm Kings Thunder. DMed it. A lot of fun memories. I remember a few of the fights and encounters but not much else. The players made it fun.

I really want to try Avernus and Obelisk. Still need to try out Planescape as well.

On the opposite side: I really didn't like my time with Out of the Abyss.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Curse of Strahd is the only one I’ve run. I’ve played in it, too.

I’ve played in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. It was great fun.

That’s my complete list of played and run 5E full-book adventures.

ichabod

Legned
I've run Curse of Strahd, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Dragon Heist, Princes of the Apocalypse (early TPK), Storm King's Thunder. I haven't really liked any of them enough to put them in a top 3. In my opinion Mad Mage and Storm King are okay, Strahd is bad, and Dragon Heist/Apocalypse are atrocious. The best campaign I've had is Yawning Portal, which you don't allow.

delericho

Legend
Curse of Strahd, Rime of the Frostmaiden, Storm King's Thunder.

Curse of Strahd seems to be the best of the published campaigns. That said, one of the great strengths of the original was its brevity, which CoS lacks. And CoS (in common with the original) has some seriously aspects that are seriously problematic, especially in the handling of Tatyana. So, handle with care.

Rime of the Frostmaiden is the one that I haven't had chance to run, but really want to.

And Storm King's Thunder is the campaign that I've actually run. The book actually works better as a setting than as an adventure, but it made for the basis of a fun campaign. Still, I'm not sure I would actually recommend it to others.

aco175

Legend
I liked the Lost Mines of Phandelver (LMoP)box and Dragons of Icespire Peak (DoiP). They tied together and I was able to build upon the first campaign with the second. I'm still thinkiing of a Saltmarsh campaign, but will be playing the Stormwreck Isle box until next year and will see what the Vecna thing is about by then.

Stormonu

Legend
Lost Mine of Phandelver was simply good. It was my introduction to learn 5E and it absolutely nailed it as far getting me to love the edition.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh is a great update of the original. We only ran to the end of U3 - The Final Enemy portion of the adventure, but it was a good enough stopping point and could always come back to do the rest.

Curse of Strahd I only ran the Castle portion as a 1-shot adventure. The group loved it, though.

------------------
Unfortunately, I can't give a positive review of Tomb of Annihilation. Our group's experience with this adventure was lacking and we finally forced the DM to give up on it somewhere in the final tomb (after a badly bodged puzzle room). I don't know how much of our poor experience was due to the DM, but the module has so poisoned our group that though I'd like to try and re-run it myself as the DM, the rest of the group is adverse to retrying it.

I've also had an incomplete experience with Rime of the Frostmaiden. We only played for a short time - about six sessions - but my opinion was that it was going to be an enjoyable, but very difficult and unforgiving adventure.

Remove ads