D&D 5E D&D 5.5e; Your wish for 5.5e update.

oknazevad

Explorer
from 1999. D&D is under Hasbro and they didn't buy WotC just for flavor, but for profit.

Also from former editions the time scale between edition is reducing.

AD&D(1st ed) 1977
AD&D(2nd ed) 1989 - 12y
AD&D(2nd ed revised or 2.5e) 1995 - 6y
3.0E 2000 - 5y

trend is to reduce the time between editions.

There is no 2.5. The reissue of the 2e PHB & DMG with new layouts and trade dress (and the accompanying new cover for the MM, which was otherwise unchanged) did not change the core rules of the edition; the text was identical. The Players Option series that followed were just that: options, suggested variant rules that one could use, but never assumed to actually be in use by any other product, especially since it's actually impossible to use all of the options at once due to incompatibilities with changes made by them. They do not constitute a new .5 edition, and actually were largely unpopular. Only a few ideas had legs, and they wound up in 3e.

oknazevad

Explorer
Mist be interesting to have 5th edition player option books compared to those for people wh want more options.

Huh? I wasn't talking about 5e.

But, speaking of which, the entire thread is based on a faulty premise. A revised version of the 5e core books (outside of errata in more recent printings) is not happening for many years.

The idea that any patterns can be derived from 4e's release cycle is folly. Not only did 4e have at least one hardcover book a month, and therefore have a huge amount of material in a much shorter time than 5e's slower release cycle, the simple fact is that 4e crashed and burned. Sure, it sold well at first, but sales dropped precipitously throughout the edition's lifespan (with some releases rumored to have sold less than a thousand copies total), and it was surpassed by Pathfinder.

And then there's the "are people actually playing" factor. 5e is very much a game people are playing, including a whole lot of brand new players. (I don't know if the rumor is true, but supposedly the guys at WOTC realized it was time for 5e when they looked around the office and saw that no one at the company was actually using 4e outside working hours. If they weren't using it for their own games, how could they expect customers to?)

In short, the 4e release cycle vs the 5e one is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

akr71

Hero
snip

But, speaking of which, the entire thread is based on a faulty premise. A revised version of the 5e core books (outside of errata in more recent printings) is not happening for many years.

snip

And then there's the "are people actually playing" factor. 5e is very much a game people are playing, including a whole lot of brand new players. (I don't know if the rumor is true, but supposedly the guys at WOTC realized it was time for 5e when they looked around the office and saw that no one at the company was actually using 4e outside working hours. If they weren't using it for their own games, how could they expect customers to?)

Yes, this - please this. If you read Of Dice and Men it certainly seems to hint that Hasbro & WotC wanted off the Version Treadmill, realizing that it was pushing players away, not attracting them. 5e feels like a solid 'evergreen' product - leave 'improving' and tinkering in the hands of the players and DMs and let WotC publish new content.

I would like to see a "Revised Players Handbook" in a few years with all the errata and new player content from SCAG and the Elemental Evil Companion, etc. rolled into one book. Yes I would buy it (my PHB binding fell apart and I've been too lazy to get WotC to replace it).

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I don't think we need a 5.5E. But if there were to be one, I'd like it to be some of the modular stuff they talked about at the time of 5E's initial release--stuff that could be stapled onto the basic game but would not replace the original books.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The premise of this tread is flawed, but if what we are really talking about is "what would you like to be better in 5e?" Then...

I would like Monster stat blocks to not just list the names of the spells they know. I am not looking that up.

I don't like the skill list or how tools interact with it. It is easy enough to fix, but I play a lot of league.

Mmmm... That's most of it?

It's not bloated yet. If anything, it still needs splat. There are years and years left in this edition.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The premise of this tread is flawed, but if what we are really talking about is "what would you like to be better in 5e?" Then...

I would like Monster stat blocks to not just list the names of the spells they know. I am not looking that up.

I don't like the skill list or how tools interact with it. It is easy enough to fix, but I play a lot of league.

Mmmm... That's most of it?

It's not bloated yet. If anything, it still needs splat. There are years and years left in this edition.

It would be pretty absurd to recreate the spell descriptions in each stat block; just memorize the spells that are relevant during prep.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It would be pretty absurd to recreate the spell descriptions in each stat block; just memorize the spells that are relevant during prep.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app
You don't have to put the whole spell description into the stat block to be useful. Range/Damage/ST would be useful, though.

Strangely, I find everything they DO include on the stat block to be easier to memorize than the minutia of what the spells do.

Remove ads