D&D 5E D&D 5.5e; Your wish for 5.5e update.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Having read through the 5e based stargate rpg beta & seen how it changes up classes feats leveling & some pther stuff I'd be surprised if we don't see a mostly compatible 5.1 fork within the next couple years. That or someone will convert 5e using it as a base to work from

bmfrosty

Explorer
I see 5.5e or 5.1e or whatever as mostly a chapter 2-6 reworking. This is probably going to be a 2e vs 1e thing. 5e has been successful enough that they'll want to keep the math the same.

I would like to see more modularity built into the PHB as well as tagging. For instance, one could set up the races as such:

Basic:
Dwarf
Elf
Halfling
Human

Advanced:
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-Orc

Expert:
Tiefling
Dragonborn

It wouldn't mean anything except that it would be in the PHB, so a DM could say "Only Basic Races and Classes and Feats" and have it mean something instead of having to lay out specifics.

It's really a half finished thought, but I feel like it would ease communications.

I see 5.5e or 5.1e or whatever as mostly a chapter 2-6 reworking. This is probably going to be a 2e vs 1e thing. 5e has been successful enough that they'll want to keep the math the same.

I would like to see more modularity built into the PHB as well as tagging. For instance, one could set up the races as such:

Basic:
Dwarf
Elf
Halfling
Human

Advanced:
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-Orc

Expert:
Tiefling
Dragonborn

It wouldn't mean anything except that it would be in the PHB, so a DM could say "Only Basic Races and Classes and Feats" and have it mean something instead of having to lay out specifics.

It's really a half finished thought, but I feel like it would ease communications.

That would be great, but I would prefer terms like: Pulp (human only), Classic, Epic, Wacky, etc.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That would be great, but I would prefer terms like: Pulp (human only), Classic, Epic, Wacky, etc.
pulp does not require human only & it's a difficult enough term to convey meaning without muddying the waters. Dresden files is a good example of pulp without needing to be human only. Just a simple $setting races table with an x or x* for races present or present with a twist in that setting wold do it.

Stilvan

Explorer
Isn't the Theros book going to bring some radical new stuff - not exactly in the spirit of the OP (these would be additions more than alterations I think). Maybe that's their model for editioning - keep the core as sacrosanct but loose - then adapt or flesh out with setting books with new mechanics.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Isn't the Theros book going to bring some radical new stuff - not exactly in the spirit of the OP (these would be additions more than alterations I think). Maybe that's their model for editioning - keep the core as sacrosanct but loose - then adapt or flesh out with setting books with new mechanics.
there might be new classes/archtypes/races/etc, but new mechanics don't seem to be the thing there

Remove ads