Watch These 4 Trailers for Ravnica

Kite474

Explorer
Just noticed that MtG site has 2 Ravnica based products coming out as well, one in October and January. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Cross branding in effect for both.

Is there an active MtG board to see what those people are posting about the D&D setting book?

Theres the subreddit, though after the excitement they moved onto different topics as Reddit does. Though to be fair to them an hour after the Ravnica book announcement they got card Spoilers so their attention was refocused to that

I'm a bit surprised that games (both tabletop and computer) seem to be so bad at writing worlds, when there are so many great fantasy authors out there that do so well at it.

Ravnica has a lot of, if I recall correctly, Czech inspiration. The city is sort of like Prague writ large.

There's never been a *map* of Ravnica. The city could have a population of ten thousand, a million, or a hundred million. Who knows? I kind of like it better as a world that's the size of, say, Sao Paulo. Sprawling, but not an entire planet by our modern sensibilities.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Thx for sharing this videos its been a long time. Love them. About the other products maybe its the map pack and dice set that are also listed on amazon. Or maybe a new cardset?

Last edited by a moderator:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I am interested in all new settings and options. I can mine them for ideas, steal from them and quite simply just read them for fun :)

I did not like MagictheGathering as a game (but only tried it years ago). Doesn't mean I won't like their settings. I am actually happy to be getting some non-D&D settings. I love the old settings,but have a lot for them anyway. I have been looking forward to a new setting, so this seems new enough for me.

I have a LOT of reservations about a 'planet-spanning-city', but I can take stuff and scale that down to something usable.

Wizards certainly seem to be on a urban kick ATM. I wonder if that is on purpose? Whilst developing city stuff, how about we do this, sort of thing. Seems that these new FR adventures are set in a city - I wonder if there will be notes for adapting to Ravnica or Sharn. If not, I am sure they will emerge. (Ans yes, I understand Eberron is more than a city, but the DMsGuild thing looks to be focussing on Sharn, so that is essentially 4 Wizards books based upon urban adventure).

I am cool with that. Seems ideas from the next few books could inspire each other.

I just love new settings, so I am all for this :)

MidwayHaven

First Post
So for a non magic the gathering fan who knows nothing about Ravinca, what can longer term fans suggest DM's can expect in terms of crunch, I'm thinking specifically of DM's like me who tend to never play in an established setting but love cannibalizing anything they get their hands on. Classes? Races? Monsters? Items?

Races that Ravnica have that aren't common in other D&D worlds include the Goblin, the Vedalken and the Loxodon. The Vedalken are similar to Eberron's Kalashtar in the sense that they're very psychic and introspective. The Loxodon are basically minotaurs, but with elephant heads.

As for magic items, I expect to see the Guild signets come into play. There are also the artifacts unique to each guild (Sunforger, Moratorium Stone, Walking Archive, etc.). What I do want to see are the stranger items, such as the Bottled Cloister.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd love to play a game like Birthright amongst these rival guilds,

and it seems with the maze they have built guild rivalry and politics into the game - thats exciting

now lets learn more about Engineers

Last edited by a moderator:

Von Ether

Legend
Wizards certainly seem to be on a urban kick ATM. I wonder if that is on purpose? Whilst developing city stuff, how about we do this, sort of thing. Seems that these new FR adventures are set in a city - I wonder if there will be notes for adapting to Ravnica or Sharn. If not, I am sure they will emerge. (Ans yes, I understand Eberron is more than a city, but the DMsGuild thing looks to be focussing on Sharn, so that is essentially 4 Wizards books based upon urban adventure).

Seems to be the case or something close to it. I wouldn't be surprised if a D&D designer ran Dragonheist through their own Ravnica or Eberron game first and then adapted it to Waterdeep only to make the higher ups happy.

Seems to be the case or something close to it. I wouldn't be surprised if a D&D designer ran Dragonheist through their own Ravnica or Eberron game first and then adapted it to Waterdeep only to make the higher ups happy.

I believe Dragonheist prominently features Jarlaxle though, who is very much FR.

Coroc

Hero
Two things came to my mind, I like to hear your thoughts on this:

Ravnica - guilds Planescape - factions

Can this material be used to substitute a new planescape adventure? The idea sprang into my mind when someone wrote angels and demons are common sight in Ravnica?

Also world spanning city:

I have only seen one city where this makes sense in any meaningful way: Sigil. It makes sense because it is limited in size somehow, supplies come in from different planes so no problem here.

Ravnica otoh that seems a bit unbelievable, make cities as large like Sao paolo combined with some other metropolis maybe increase that by factor 5 that might work. Imagine a city with say 50-100 million inhabitants, you could make that work in a setting with logical consistency, no matter what magic / roof gardenfood or whatever shenanigan to feed the populace.

BUT: Even this 100 million people city will not take up much space on the map. Check out some megacities with google maps, they take less area than you might think. A metropolis and its surrounding space with suburbs IRL is normally an area which fits in a circle of 30-50 km diameter max.
Take that by five and it will be a circle 100 km diameter approx. This is 7850 squarekilometres . Earth surface is 510 000 000 squarekilometres!

That is 64000 of your megacities! with 100 km diameter and 100 million people each! That means 64 000 *100 000 000 people total which is approx. 1000 x the existing IRL earth population and earth is considered overpopulated with its IRL population.

Even if there are big areas of water involved the and the factors in my computation are reduced by a factor of ten or 50 this still does not make for a good explanation how this should work.

jgsugden

Legend
Ravnica is fine, but I am more interested in how they address core elements of M:tG. Planeswalkers, drawing mana from land.... do they brush it aside as was done with the Planeshift articles, or do they give us structures for those concepts?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases