Watch These 4 Trailers for Ravnica

Watch all of them to really get a feel for the setting, then buy the enovels for the setting on Amazon. I reading the first one and so far it entertaining.

Watch all of them to really get a feel for the setting, then buy the enovels for the setting on Amazon.

I reading the first one and so far it entertaining.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Thanks for sharing. The artwork is lovely... the setting however comes across as a generic MMO setting to me. When I look for new D&D settings, I pay extra attention to the names of the world, cities, countries, organizations, etc. When those names are generic fantasy, I instantly pass on the setting. I hate to say it, but most of what I saw in these trailers seemed terribly unimaginative.

Good naming is very important in world building. It makes the difference between an immersive believable world, and one that seems like a generic commercial fantasy product. I ask myself the questions: Is this a world that could really exist? Are these cultures that could really exist, and would they name their organizations, cities and countries as the setting presents them? All too often with these settings you see races that only seem to exist as "things the players can play", rather than races fit the world they are supposed to inhabit. It feels like they are just ticking off a few boxes, rather than actually building a world.

Funny you say that, that’s what drives me most batty about FR: the amateur world-building and place-naming. Not saying that Ravnica doesn’t suffer from this too (I haven’t checked, but the guild names left me with a blank stare :) ) for the most part I found Zendikar & Innistrad to be well constructed though (except for Vampires in Zendikar, wtf is up with that?!)

jimmytheccomic

First Post
Great find! "Dragon Maze" seems really well suited to a great level 1-12 campaign. I don't play "Magic", but this story seems way more geared for a tabletop game than a card game!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
When I read the GM's Guild copy for Ravnica, back when Eberron was still a questionmark, it sounded like the Ravnica release was just Eberron in disguise.

Are these settings so different that they're worth releasing at the same time?

gyor

Legend
When I read the GM's Guild copy for Ravnica, back when Eberron was still a questionmark, it sounded like the Ravnica release was just Eberron in disguise.

Are these settings so different that they're worth releasing at the same time?

There is certainly common ground between FR, Eberron and Ravnica.

But they are fundlementally different types of settings.

Eberron is like what FR would be if FR wasn't always facing realms shaking events and was locked away from the rest of the Multiverse.

And Ravnica is just like Eberron would be in the future, but with more biomagitech then Eberron.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is certainly common ground between FR, Eberron and Ravnica.

But they are fundlementally different types of settings.

Eberron is like what FR would be if FR wasn't always facing realms shaking events and was locked away from the rest of the Multiverse.

And Ravnica is just like Eberron would be in the future, but with more biomagitech then Eberron.

If Eberron is kind of a post WWI magic setting, could Ravnica be the post WWII magic setting? A whole new field of technology, massive increase in urbanization,....

That could be used to make an interesting time travel story for Eberron (obviously need a few adjustments, but it is likely a bunch of social changes will occur after the next big war, so maybe not that many changes).

scottieboy86

Explorer
The first one is pretty, but hard to follow. Still pumped for some Ravnica action. Can't wait for more dndbeyond so we can get a closer look at the new character options.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Great find! "Dragon Maze" seems really well suited to a great level 1-12 campaign. I don't play "Magic", but this story seems way more geared for a tabletop game than a card game!

Yeah - that should really be the kick off adventure for this setting!

Oofta

Legend
Huh. So that's what you get when your game is a cash cow. Semi-animated teaser trailers with typical "brooding fantasy music" and voice overs.

I'm not sure these really told me all that much, although I'm happy for people that enjoy it. Me? I'm like ... but if the entire planet is covered by cities (city?) then where does the food come from? Why is the air still breathable? What's up with all those scenes of people in a jungle/swamp? You have this much city so you have billions of people and there are only a handful of power centers? They're using the fantasy trope that things have been more or less static for 10 times longer than the longest civilization on earth as ever survived? Meh. Most campaigns have issues, this one kind of screams FANTASY TO THE EXTREEEEEME!

I have no idea whether I'd enjoy the setting or not. I hope it sells well enough that D&D is still considered successful but not well enough that other settings will still have room.

Remove ads

Remove ads