D&D 5E My Review of Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is Live will also answer any questions

gyor

Legend
Eh, that would work with someone like Volo, but archmages have a lot of credibility in D&D. Especially Mordenkainen, who is completely neutral and has no favorite horses in this race.

People can be highly educated and brilliant and still have stuff wrong, misinterrupt stuff, and be influenced by their own emotions and biases.

gyor

Legend
After a more through reading not much changes for old elf lore lovers, I assume.

Unless I am grossly misreading it, all good elves go to heaven for some time, then get reborn. Drow and heathen elves never get to go to elf heaven, and their souls just go where souls go. You can resurrect everyone just fine, people can go to elf heaven, but then get pulled out.

Thank you so much. Why did those podcasters think Drow not going thru Transcendence meant their souls died, the Dark Seldarine don't have their afterlives in Arvandor, they have them in places like the Demonweb Pits.

This is the weakness of getting intel second hand.

I did not know they would reprint the demonlords, was only expecting the archdevils. What's their CRs?
We get 6 Archdevils in this book

Bael Duke serving Mamon at CR 19
Geryon fallen archduke at CR 22
Hutijin Duke serving Mephistopheles at CR 21
Moloch exiled archduke at CR 21
Titivilus clever but weak duke serving Dispater at CR 16
Zariel Fallen Angel and Archduchess of Avernus at CR 26

gyor

Legend
And in other interesting news, Baalzebul is now out of slug form again. Apparently he was punished in that form by Asmodeus for one year for every lie he had told a devil, and just worked off the punishment. And, if he lies to a devil again, he gets punished with that form for a year, so he's basically being forced into telling the truth (except to mortals; he can lie all he wants to them).

That's cool and interesting twist, but what does he look like now?

That's cool and interesting twist, but what does he look like now?

I assume like he used to. A fly faced humanoid.

5ca7a0249a6209ac319eb6971bea9d6e.jpg

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
We get 6 Archdevils in this book

Bael Duke serving Mamon at CR 19
Geryon fallen archduke at CR 22
Hutijin Duke serving Mephistopheles at CR 21
Moloch exiled archduke at CR 21
Titivilus clever but weak duke serving Dispater at CR 16
Zariel Fallen Angel and Archduchess of Avernus at CR 26
CR26 already for the lord of the first? That certainly starts higher than i would have expected

Irennan

Explorer
OK, it's available from D&D Beyond now. And, as I suspected, it's nowhere bad as it has been made out. Elves who have pleased the Seldarine upon death experience Transcendence - their souls go to Arvandor for an indeterminate time, and then are eventually reincarnated. Conversely, to directly quote from the book:

"Elves who die of old age without experiencing Transcendence are believed to have been denied admission to Arvandor, and thus their souls pass on to other planes and are never reincarnated. The living are left to guess why this might be true, but an elf’s conduct during life often offers a clue. Drow never experience Transcendence, for example, and the same is true for elves who turn to the worship of gods other than the Seldarine."

So elves and drow who do not experience Transcendence have their souls go to other planes, permanently as they are not reincarnated, BUT the souls are not extinguished entirely.

Ah, thank you. Thatis much, much better (and pretty much the old lore).

Eh, that would work with someone like Volo, but archmages have a lot of credibility in D&D. Especially Mordenkainen, who is completely neutral and has no favorite horses in this race.

I believe the term you were looking for was "true neutral", not completely neutral, and true neutral means he does have a favorite horse (although the favorite horse will probably change as the race goes on). If he decided that balance was served by telling everyone drow don't go the Abyss, he would. Sorry, he is way more unreliable than Volo, who just occasionally mistaken. Mordenainen is a balance fanatic who lies when it serves his cause.

gyor

Legend
After a more through reading not much changes for old elf lore lovers, I assume.

Unless I am grossly misreading it, all good elves go to heaven for some time, then get reborn. Drow and heathen elves never get to go to elf heaven, and their souls just go where souls go. You can resurrect everyone just fine, people can go to elf heaven, but then get pulled out.

I think because not all Drow worship Gods so they might go elsewhere. So yeah I take it that the Drow go to their God if they have one, or if they don't to a setting fitting location.

Remove ads