D&D 5E My Review of Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is Live will also answer any questions

I thought he used to be beautiful in some of the editions, I mean preslug form. I mean fly face is not a step up from slug form in the looks department.

It was a big part of his lore in 4e: he was a beautiful angel with a propensity for architectural design (surprisingly important fact) who was unhappy with all the gods were not doing to fight the elemental chaos (to be honest a pretty fair assessment); Asmodeus was the exception (short-lived Blood War did occur), but when Assy let the BW wind down, BZB rebelled and temporarily took over the 9 Hells; but when Assy took over again, he turned BZB into a giant maggot, and although he still ruled his section of Hell, it was cursed with rot and decay, which meant all his architectural creations all falling down as fast as his damned minions can build them again. It was intimated that he is now quite insane (but that hasn't interfered with his duties).

I have no idea how much of that made it into 5e (or MToF).

Kendra Lawrence

First Post
Given that the default is for a soul to go to its god's realm after death, the default would be what happens unless specifically stated to be otherwise (as with Transcendence). Since it's not specifically stated otherwise, then one must assume that elven souls that do not undergo Transcedence follow the default process - they go to the realms of their gods. To "pass on to other planes" is just another way of stating this, albeit in slightly more poetic terms. I guess you could parse the wording otherwise, but it does seem to be rather pedantic...

It sounds like they are being intentional vague in order to avoid talking about it, especially in regards to the drow.

I thought he used to be beautiful in some of the editions, I mean preslug form. I mean fly face is not a step up from slug form in the looks department.

Basically, he was beautiful in his original angelic form, turned into a fly-headed devil after he fell and became an Archduke of Hell, turned into a slug-like creature later after pushing Asmodeus too far, and now has been turned back into a former humanoid form. Oddly, MToF doesn't state whether which previous humanoid form, although, given that the book references 1e material quite heavily, it would be, presumably, the classic 1e fly-headed form...

It was a big part of his lore in 4e: he was a beautiful angel with a propensity for architectural design (surprisingly important fact) who was unhappy with all the gods were not doing to fight the elemental chaos (to be honest a pretty fair assessment); Asmodeus was the exception (short-lived Blood War did occur), but when Assy let the BW wind down, BZB rebelled and temporarily took over the 9 Hells; but when Assy took over again, he turned BZB into a giant maggot, and although he still ruled his section of Hell, it was cursed with rot and decay, which meant all his architectural creations all falling down as fast as his damned minions can build them again. It was intimated that he is now quite insane (but that hasn't interfered with his duties).

I have no idea how much of that made it into 5e (or MToF).

Thats similar to his pre 4e Lore.

In 2e and 3e. He was an Archon who who fell to the Hells due to his narcissism and perfectionism. His power, intelligence and ambition impressed Asmodeus who appointed him ruler of 7th Layer. Baalzebul eventually gained enough influence to take control of the 6th Layer as well controlling it through his Vassal Moloch. However he lost control after Moloch's exile. And being turned into his slug like form.

Baalzebul enjoys architectural design, but his perfectionism grew worse after coming to Hell. He would have his minions raise palaces, fortresses, cities and neumerous other things. However his perfectionism resulted in him abandoning a project as soon as flaws showed up in the work. As a result Maladomini is covered in ruins and half finished works that Baalzebul abandoned. One example of this was when he was creating his perfect city so far the only one that had met his standards. However when he went to the Throne Room he found a slight imperfection and so ordered that his court and citizens leave and abandon the place. His normally submissive consort Baftis refused on the grounds that it was good enough and would rather live here then in filth, while waiting for another project not to meet his standards. Baalzebul then cursed and sealed Baftis in the city as punishment for questioning him, and she is currently the only inhabitant of that ghost town.

Eh, that would work with someone like Volo, but archmages have a lot of credibility in D&D. Especially Mordenkainen, who is completely neutral and has no favorite horses in this race.

Well... Let's see what Mordenkainen himself says about the trustworthiness of archmages, in a sidebar on page 58:

"I have heard tales of drow who have forsaken the evil ways of their kind. I give these stories no credit, though Elminster himself swears they have validity. Never trust a drow, or the word of an archmage."

Irennan

Explorer
Well... Let's see what Mordenkainen himself says about the trustworthiness of archmages, in a sidebar on page 58:

"I have heard tales of drow who have forsaken the evil ways of their kind. I give these stories no credit, though Elminster himself swears they have validity. Never trust a drow, or the word of an archmage."

I see. That's a weird passage to put in, tho, since supposedly the book is written by him as a study on the conflicts of the Multiverse, and he writes a whole section about Eilistraee and mentions Drizzt, despite not believing that they exist, and admitting it in the same book? I mean, I know that those notes are there for fun, but at least make them consistent.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I see. That's a weird passage to put in, tho, since supposedly the book is written by him as a study on the conflicts of the Multiverse, and he writes a whole section about Eilistraee and mentions Drizzt, despite not believing that they exist, and admitting it in the same book? I mean, I know that those notes are there for fun, but at least make them consistent.
Those might be the tales he heard from Elminster. He could be going, "This is what a friend has told me but don't put too much stock in it."

Remove ads