D&D 5E My Review of Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is Live will also answer any questions

Kendra Lawrence

First Post
Humans are humans lol. I would expect maybe class, or particular culture of humans to be discussed, and maybe the "human" pantheon (which isn't exclusive to humans, really), rather than humans as a race.

Irennan

Explorer
Humans are humans lol. I would expect maybe class, or particular culture of humans to be discussed, and maybe the "human" pantheon (which isn't exclusive to humans, really), rather than humans as a race.

Which is the problem with generic fantasy humans. They're boring and uninspired, because the other races aren't actually other races, but simply cool aspects of the human race masked as other races. Once you render all that make the humans stand out the archetypal trait of other races, either humans overlap with them, or they are left with nothing remarkable (mysticism, grace, solemnity, beauty/culture=elves; tech/crafting/ingenuity=dwarves and gnomes; steadfastness, determination, discipline, perseverance=elves/dwarves; good spirits, celebration of life, closely tied communities=halflings; and the list could continue).

Last edited:

Irennan

Explorer
One multiverse, gods aren't limited, nor are heroes.

Yeah, but Eilistraee has always been a Torilian goddess, and Drizzt has never been out of Toril. There are deities that are only active in a single sphere, for whatever reason. That's why the Greyhawk drow are far more monolothic than the Realmsian drow. FR drow are *far* more nuanced than people give them credit for.

gyor

Legend
Maybe, since both Eilistraee and Drizzt are limited to Toril.

Drizzt is limited to Toril because he's a mortal, but I don't think Eilistraee is, at least anymore, it appears they unified the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine Pantheons across spheres, so instead of a Toril Dark Seldarine and a Greyhawk Dark Seldarine, there is just The Dark Seldarine, with Keptolo, Eilistraee, Selvetarm, Vhaerun, Lolth, Ghuanadar, Kianistlee, Zinzerena, and Malyk in it. The Sundering changed many things about the FR Pantheon.

Irennan

Explorer
They listed Eilistraee because the book covers all worlds. Same as Vulkoor. Vhaeraun was like Eilistraee, until they put him in the Living Greyhawk campaign, and that's the only reason why he's both a Torilian and Oerthian god. Both Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are dedicated to Toril, Eilistraee even started by spending millennia wandering among the drow there.

gyor

Legend
They listed Eilistraee because the book covers all worlds. Same as Vulkoor. Vhaeraun was like Eilistraee, until they put him in the Living Greyhawk campaign, and that's the only reason why he's both a Torilian and Oerthian god. Both Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are dedicated to Toril, Eilistraee even started by spending millennia wandering among the drow there.

All the Gods in the book are AL legal, which means that what had been traditionally a Greyhawk only God Keptolo is now in FR, you can play a worshipper of Keptolo including Clerics adventuring in say Waterdeep.
Vulkoor is different because he's not on the Dark Seldarine table, so I don't think he's AL legal (I could be wrong, perhaps a seperate ruling on him, because he gets a blurb, but he's not really a member of the Dark Seldarine).

Also Eilistraee clerics still get their spells in Ravenloft and the Planes, so she's already not completely FR only.

gyor

Legend
Malyk a FR deity also from what I hear got married or hooked up with Zinzerena a mostly Greyhawk Goddess.

They've also said the barriers between Greyhawk and FR thinned, hence the increasing appearance of Greyhawk beings in FR.

Irennan

Explorer
All the Gods in the book are AL legal, which means that what had been traditionally a Greyhawk only God Keptolo is now in FR, you can play a worshipper of Keptolo including Clerics adventuring in say Waterdeep.
Vulkoor is different because he's not on the Dark Seldarine table, so I don't think he's AL legal (I could be wrong, perhaps a seperate ruling on him, because he gets a blurb, but he's not really a member of the Dark Seldarine).

Also Eilistraee clerics still get their spells in Ravenloft and the Planes, so she's already not completely FR only.

Well, strange, but I don't have any particular problem with that. If Eilistraee also gets followers in GH, that's a big + in my book.

"I have heard tales of drow who have forsaken the evil ways of their kind. I give these stories no credit, though Elminster himself swears they have validity. Never trust a drow, or the word of an archmage."

This comment feels a bit meta, as the entire book works on the tacit assumption of us - the readers - taking the word of an archmage, Mordenkainen.

Remove ads