Yugoloths: Do They Have an Identity Beyond the Blood War?

Did it, I'm not so sure. Is that idea really even Christian. I am not a biblical scholar, but the Christian Hell doesn't seem to be particularly ordered. That concept has been layered on by literary tradition. Now, if your saying D&D is part of that literary tradition - I get it. But I don't think it is a simple cause and effect.

It depends what you mean by "Christian". In the medieval period Hell as an ordered place of punishment, where monsters tormented the wicked in poetically appropriate ways, was widely taught, and still has an influence on modern Catholicism (Purgatory). It's not in the Bible though, and most modern evangelical Christians don't believe it. What Christians actually do believe varies widely, since the Bible doesn't actually say.

But you are right in saying it's much more complex than simple cause and effect.

Unless you are talking about D&D Daemons, which very much is a case of simple cause (gap in the alignment wheel) and effect (NE demon-knockoffs with an alternate spelling).

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It depends what you mean by "Christian". In the medieval period Hell as an ordered place of punishment, where monsters tormented the wicked in poetically appropriate ways, was widely taught, and still has an influence on modern Catholicism (Purgatory). It's not in the Bible though, and most modern evangelical Christians don't believe it. What Christians actually do believe varies widely, since the Bible doesn't actually say.

But you are right in saying it's much more complex than simple cause and effect.

Unless you are talking about D&D Daemons, which very much is a case of simple cause (gap in the alignment wheel) and effect (NE demon-knockoffs with an alternate spelling).

This makes my brain hurt on multiple levels.

Satyrn

First Post
Did it, I'm not so sure. Is that idea really even Christian. I am not a biblical scholar, but the Christian Hell doesn't seem to be particularly ordered. That concept has been layered on by literary tradition. Now, if your saying D&D is part of that literary tradition - I get it. But I don't think it is a simple cause and effect.

It depends what you mean by "Christian" . . .
I gotta say, I'm confused by Paul's response.

I would've thought the thing to say is "right, I was saying D&D's hierarchical devils are drawn from Dante's work" since that seemed to be exactly what he was originally saying.

dave2008

Legend
I gotta say, I'm confused by Paul's response.

I would've thought the thing to say is "right, I was saying D&D's hierarchical devils are drawn from Dante's work" since that seemed to be exactly what he was originally saying.

I had a similar impression, that was why I mentioned literary tradition.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I had a similar impression, that was why I mentioned literary tradition.
As somebody with some expertise with the literary, religious and historical scene...no, not really. It has more to do with original pulp creations and filling the grid, and pretty much nothing to do with anything Medieval or Catholic.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The 'loths had a massive amount of detail and in-game history fleshed out during 2e, and late 3.x plPersonally I'd present the planar content in MToF as a mixture of Mordenkainen having been wrong as a mortal regarding the history of the planes, or since the book was in-game stolen and presented by Shemeshka the Marauder, Sigil's best yugoloth had every incentive to joyously lie and fabricate false content that botched actual history and utterly downplayed the yugoloths. That's what I'd go with, otherwise you'd have to assume that the original Planescape sources just weren't considered.

Considering that MToF includes the following, "As with the monsters in the Monster Manual, we've
tried to capture the essence of each creature and focus on those traits that make it unique or that encourage DMs to use it. You can do what you will with these monsters and change their lore to suit your game. Nothing we say here is meant to curtail your creativity." I fully support your view.

Satyrn

First Post
As somebody with some expertise with the literary, religious and historical scene...no, not really. It has more to do with original pulp creations and filling the grid, and pretty much nothing to do with anything Medieval or Catholic.

What leads you to say that the creators of D&D took pretty much no influence from Dante in shaping the Nine Hells and its devils?

It seems a likely source of inspiration to me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What leads you to say that the creators of D&D took pretty much no influence from Dante in shaping the Nine Hells and its devils?

It seems a likely source of inspiration to me.
They may have taken vague inspiration from a third hand Cliffnotes idea of the Inferno, but pretty much no aspect of AD&D Devil's resembles Dante, except this use of the word "circles" in regards to the Hells.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Forkheet is up for it, but it only accepts payment in the form of children's teeth (which are kind of hard to obtain).
Them teeth are just falling out of children all the time. Walk behind an 8 year old and pick them up off of the ground.

Last edited:

Remove ads