D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
I have added Piranoth from Revenge of the Giants to the Primordials section. Please note this is a full strength version vs. a weakened version that was presented in that adventure. Also, I updated the rest of the completed primordials (Ahat-Hir, Dendar, Lady of Pain, and Lakkar) so they are all in the same format now.

Up Next:

2) Garl Glittergold
3) Piranoth

4) Ioun
5) astral dreadnought
6) Yondalla
7) brachyurus
8) Erathis
9) phane
10) ruin swarm
11) mu spore

CapnZapp

Legend
Don't know if this been mentioned already but for my account, the thread is up to more than a thousand posts before this one (the system doesn't count invisible posts made by people blocking or blocked by me), so perhaps you will be forced to start another thread?

dave2008

Legend
Don't know if this been mentioned already but for my account, the thread is up to more than a thousand posts before this one (the system doesn't count invisible posts made by people blocking or blocked by me), so perhaps you will be forced to start another thread?

Is there a post number limit?

synergy2

First Post
That is the idea. Though, now that I think about it some more, high attack bonuses could be an issue

Not quite. I look over and tweak these first drafts now and again. There are some differences because my ideas on some things have changed, but all in all everything posted here is using the same general design philosophy. FYI, both Bane and Garl use the same design principles. They may appear at first glance to be big difference, but it is not as much as you think.

Bane DPR (simple): 6x172 = 1,032
Garl DPR (simple): 9x100 = 900

So not that much different

Now the 2nd drafts, will be a complete rework of the design principles: adding epic ranks (like divine rank), epic challenge (epic CR), etc., and using the "hardcore" design concepts I developed in my 5e Hardcore Monsters thread. When I do the 2nd drafts I will start a new thread.

I assume for those DPR calculations, you are assuming they use their Full Attack legendary action? That's the only way I see for Bane to get 6 attacks, and Garl doesn't have the Full Attack legendary action so wouldn't he be limited at 4 melee attacks per round? He only has the Attack legendary action as far as I see. I am not trying to bothersome at all, this is all really fascinating and I am trying to get a better view into how you're calculating this all.

If we factored this in without Bonus Actions/Reactions/Legendary Actions and just looked at their base DPS, it'd be like:
Bane (Using two handed spear thrust for example): 176 slashing damage x 3 = 528 DPR. Plus of course he crits on an 18-20 but I didn't factor that in.

Garl (Assuming 2 handed battleaxe): 53 + 36 = 89 x 4 = 356

Correct?

dave2008

Legend
I assume for those DPR calculations, you are assuming they use their Full Attack legendary action? That's the only way I see for Bane to get 6 attacks, and Garl doesn't have the Full Attack legendary action so wouldn't he be limited at 4 melee attacks per round? He only has the Attack legendary action as far as I see. I am not trying to bothersome at all, this is all really fascinating and I am trying to get a better view into how you're calculating this all.

If we factored this in without Bonus Actions/Reactions/Legendary Actions and just looked at their base DPS, it'd be like:
Bane (Using two handed spear thrust for example): 176 slashing damage x 3 = 528 DPR. Plus of course he crits on an 18-20 but I didn't factor that in.

Garl (Assuming 2 handed battleaxe): 53 + 36 = 89 x 4 = 356

Correct?

I have a spreadsheet that I use for CR calc. Unfortunately I didn't save Bane's but I still have Garls.

Garl's DPR: 53 + 36 = 89 x 9 = 801 = Attack CR of 36 (his attack bonus is also CR 36)

What your not taking into account is that he gets 5 legendary actions, so 5 greataxe attacks + 4 on his turn = 9. It is possible he could do more damage with his flying axe ability, but I added the trinkets at the end and didn't feel like going back to check the CR.

FYI, his Defensive CR is also 36. The his HP are low (CR 33) his "effective" AC is 38+ which gives him a Defensive CR of 36.

I will have to spitball Bane (I don't feel like going through the whole process).

Bane's DPR: 176 x 6 = 1,056 = Attack CR of 40 (his attack bonus doesn't change it)

Bane's Defensive CR: HP = CR 40, but his AC (30) and traits only provide an effective CR of 32, this gives him a defensive CR of 39

He has a total CR of 39.5 which I rounded down to CR 39 (I round down in general). Now since he can do reaction damage as well I really should have bumped his CR up to 40. I will review that in the future.

dave2008

Legend
I have added Ioun to the greater gods section.

Up Next:

2) Garl Glittergold
3) Piranoth
4) Ioun
5) astral dreadnought

6) Yondalla
7) brachyurus
8) Erathis
9) phane
10) ruin swarm
11) mu spore

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Is there a post number limit?
@Morrus can answer this definitively, if anybody can (and hopefully I just drew his attention to your question).

I don't block anybody - no idea if anybody else blocks me - and the post count is 1019 at this time (51 pages as I have the format settings). I don't see any problems here yet.
HOWEVER, I've seen other threads break down if they have many large posts in them.
Some of the CharOp threads found out the hard way that there IS a "max post length" limit; this may eventually come back to bite your first page.

I've only perused the thread here and there, but this sounds like awesome work. For a homebrew project, I'm going to have to compare your version of the Out of the Abyss demon lords to the "by-the-book" published versions. My BBEG is an FR-specific demon lord, and I want the fight against him to feel like the PCs really have saved the world from a Great Evil.

Last edited:

Remove ads