Dark Sun confirmed for 5th edition

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What baffles me is how some customers seem to accept a five year wait as something other than entirely unreasonable and scandalous.

Sure, completely reasonable analogy.

Is there anything WotC does less than perfectly according to you?

I mean, since suggesting we shouldn't hold WotC accountable for all talk and no action for year after year, to you is comparable to being a full-blown jackass and all.

People don't think about this game the same way as you think about this game.

That's kinda been the point of 90% of the replies to you since this version of the game came out, and it's not sinking in.

It's not that you're "bad" for being different in your views...its that you don't realize your views are different. You keep being frustrated and baffled that others don't seem to think about the game like you do. You often use words like "we" when you're speaking for yourself and then appear surprised when there isn't a chorus agreeing with you.

The explanation is pretty simple - you think differently about the game than most people do.

It's not bad, but at some point it might help you to accept that and go in assuming your views on things that frustrate you with this game are likely different than the views of most other fans. That way you get get past all the exasperation with others.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
TAKE.

THAT.

BACK.

There is nothing more important than D&D. NOTHING! I know this to be true; not just the truth, the best kind of truth ... ALL-CAPS INTERNET TRUTH!

Considering some of the arguments I've seen online, I think that for some people this really is the truth.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ok, just had a stupid thought! They will do it just like Ravenloft! Your heroes from FR are transported to an alien desert world where everything is different and they are super strong.... John Carter on Mars, folks! I am calling it now!

That is how I used Darksun in 4e... almost exactly. Except not necessarily super strong.... more like super inspiring huge bright heroes who are a bold light in the dark of this other world. Turning an assassin into a freedom fighter, freeing slaves left right and center. Carrying healing inspiration around in your pocket.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If WotC wanted to yank peoples' chains and watch the Athas stampede …

Put several potential 'defiling' mechanics in a UA article, and ask for playtest feedback. On a deadline.

Mearles hinted a finish of his Warlord fighter subclass might be appropriate to Darksun

It may be this is old news and I missed it, but I'll post it anyway, just in case.

In the last "Mike Mearls happy fun hour" on Twitch, Mearls confirmed that there will be Dark Sun material for 5e at some point. He was talking about psionics and how to handle it in 5e when he said that when making rules for psionics, it was important that they fit in with the Dark Sun setting, as psionics are so integral to that setting. This was so that when they released Dark Sun material for 5e, they wouldn't have problems. He stressed the "when" here, saying "when, not if".

If you want to see it, it's on the may 8th episode of Happy fun hour, about 1 hour into the video.

Be wary when taking spoken quotes completely literally. If it's off the cuff and not a prepared statement, human error can be a big factor.

Yes, he said "when" and not "if". Sure. But given enough time, almost every major setting will see some release as either a hardcover campaign setting or an adventure or a PDF on the DMsGuild.
And knowing that, you want to make things easier for yourself in the future and plan ahead. Designing psionics to fit Dark Sun seems as reasonable as designing the artificer to fit Eberron.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If this pans out, I'll be happy for my fellow gamers that like Darksun. However, considering that I never cared for the setting in the least, this will rate right up there with Ravnica and SCAG for products that I have little to no interest in. :/

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Wow, what a disappointing thing to see on the first page only to learn that not only was it a misleading title, it’s also from over six months ago.

Remove ads