Dark Sun confirmed for 5th edition

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
In the last "Mike Mearls happy fun hour" on Twitch, Mearls confirmed that there will be Dark Sun material for 5e at some point.

I think the OP's optimism has been thoroughly trampled by this point, but I'll just chime in to say "Dark Sun material" does not mean a campaign setting, any more than "an adventure set in Ravenloft" meant a 5e revision of the Ravenloft Campaign Setting.

--
Pauper

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Ok, just had a stupid thought! They will do it just like Ravenloft! Your heroes from FR are transported to an alien desert world where everything is different and they are super strong.... John Carter on Mars, folks! I am calling it now!

Change it to where they are unknowingly flung a million or so years into the unrecognizable future; exclude Create or Destroy Water, Create Food and Drink, and Goodberry (maybe Heat Metal too); and have the plotline be King Kalak intending to use his ziggurat to transport his armies of Templars and Defilers back in time to conquer the past, and it honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea for an adventure path.

Advertise it as John Carter of Mars meets Planet of the Apes.

CapnZapp

Legend
"Yeah, this four star restaurant is good and all... but their bathrooms didn't have motion sensor faucets and I had to turn the water on by hand. It's completely unreasonable and scandalous, and I'm going to write a scathing Yelp review once I finish my prime rib and then the tiramisu."

Sure, completely reasonable analogy.

Is there anything WotC does less than perfectly according to you?

I mean, since suggesting we shouldn't hold WotC accountable for all talk and no action for year after year, to you is comparable to being a full-blown jackass and all.

martinlochsen

Explorer
The way they have been very careful with any information about future products so far for this edition makes me think that when Mearls states something with that level of certainty it's safe to say that at least this is something they are commited to doing. Though I'll admit the "confirmed" part of the thread title is blatant tabloidism to satisfy me need for attention. :D

Anyway, this shows that at least there are plans for different settings for this edition, even though DS is obviously far in the future as he's saying straight out that the psionics rules will have to be in place first. But this might mean there are other settings (say Spelljammer perhaps?) closer to being released.

And yes, this is pure speculation, of course. But speculation is fun.

Dausuul

Legend

I mean, since suggesting we shouldn't hold WotC accountable for all talk and no action for year after year, to you is comparable to being a full-blown jackass and all.
What product has WotC promised by a specific date and then failed to deliver on that date*? "Not as much action as we, the rabid fans, want" is far from "no action." They've been putting out material at a slow but steady pace.

[SIZE=-2]*Other than e-tools. I don't think anyone can dispute that WotC is abysmal at anything tech-related, whether they build it in-house (that godawful 4E Silverlight app) or outsource it (the DungeonScape/Codename: Morningstar fiasco). We did finally get a nice reference tool via D&D Beyond, but that was years after 5E was released, and we still don't have a decent electronic character sheet. Supposedly D&D Beyond has one in the works, but it's been in the works an awful long time, and the time frame keeps slipping.[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend

LOL, good to know I'm not the only one you consider a corporate shill just because they don't agree with you.

The all talk no action version of D&D that's selling millions of copies. Sad, truly sad how they are failing so horribly.

jgsugden

Legend
WotC doesn't owe us support for anything. They can elect not to produce anything for any setting.

However, it would be in their best interest to maintain their IP by providing support for Blackmoor, Dark Sun, Krynn, FR, GH, Eberron, Mystara, Planescape, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Gamma World.

Personally, I believe they should have edition agnostic support for all of these settings up that establish personalities, timelines, plotlines, maps, etc... They should be out there with free access for players, and a DM access that is cheap - with the cost just enough to cover the cost to support the resources - that grants access that would not be common knowledge to players.

Then, they could still release 'crunch'/mechanics books that have classes, races, monsters, feats, spells, etc... and adventure paths at a cost. Those books would best be released in two stages: 1.) A very basic pamphlet of unofficial mechanics at the release of a new edition (like a UA article), and 2.) More robust books when they can be worked into the full development cycle.

You'd be ready to run any game at any point in the timeline in any of their worlds... but still be looking forward to the official setting materials.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

Well... I wasn't the one who used the word scandalous to define the actions of Wizards and then chastising the rest of us for not reaching your level of apparent resentment. I'm all for commenting on when they do something less than great, but I try to reserve hyperbole for things a little more important than D&D. Heh heh.

I mean, if you think it is truly a SCANDAL that WotC hasn't produced any Dark Sun material yet for 5E, that's all well and good for you. But if you think for one minute I'm not going to poke fun at you for that... unreasonable attitude (see what I did there?)... you're sorely mistaken. ;)

When you merely comment that you don't like something, I don't usually reply. It's when you put moral judgments on the actions of WotC that I show up and point out the absurdity. LOL!

Remove ads