Nentir Vale Coming to Dungeons and Dragons

Aldarc

Legend
You could put any of the Nentir Vale stuff in Tal'Dorei, without changing a thing. While I think it would be cool to see some expanded Nentir Vale stuff, Tal'Dorei is probably as close as it will come.
Not a fan of Tal'Dorei. Nentir Vale feels like a Sandbox world. Tal'Dorei feels like I'm playing in someone else's homebrew.

Aldarc

Legend
The NV as presented was a little flat. Tal'Dorei gives it life.
Nah. Tal'Dorei bores the Mumm-Ra Everliving Crap out of me. Nentir Vale felt more like a toolkit for GMs, which is why I wanted it published. Look, Parmandur, nothing is stopping you from ignoring the 4e Nentir Vale and Mike Mearls's Nentir Vale for Tal'Dorei and its oh so highly complex pantheon of the 4e PHB + 1 Extra Sun God from Golarion and never look back. But I prefer Nentir Vale.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nah. Tal'Dorei bores the Mumm-Ra Everliving Crap out of me. Nentir Vale felt more like a toolkit for GMs, which is why I wanted it published. Look, Parmandur, nothing is stopping you from ignoring the 4e Nentir Vale and Mike Mearls's Nentir Vale for Tal'Dorei and its oh so highly complex pantheon of the 4e PHB + 1 Extra Sun God from Golarion and never look back. But I prefer Nentir Vale.

Good for you. The DMG has it as an example of how to construct a pantheon, as well.

For my money, if they bother bringing the NV back in any way, Mercer or bust.

Mearls having a show makes it more likely, and I like his take as well. But time will tell. A flat, featureless "DM's Kit" isn't so useful, because I already have mythology books that are better for that as is. Give me some flavor, some hooks, some actual myth.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
For my money, if they bother bringing the NV back in any way, Mercer or bust.
Good for you. I prefer Nentir Vale as it was, so I guess "bust" for you then.

Mearls having a show makes it more likely, and I like his take as well. But time will tell. A flat, featureless "DM's Kit" isn't so useful, because I already have mythology books that are better for that as is. Give me some flavor, some hooks, some actual myth.
You claim to like Mearls's taste while also professing to prefer a mythological take? That's some Lolz. Once you get past your 4ate, you could see that Nentir Vale had some flavor, some hooks, and actual myth.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good for you. I prefer Nentir Vale as it was, so I guess "bust" for you then.

You claim to like Mearls's taste while also professing to prefer a mythological take? That's some Lolz. Once you get past your 4ate, you could see that Nentir Vale had some flavor, some hooks, and actual myth.

No 4ate here, maybe some 4Endifference: I actually like the outline, but it never really got fleshed out and was a bit flat as presented. Mearls take is, indeed, pretty fun. Mercer's is better, but he took the time to flesh it out for publication.

Aldarc

Legend
No 4ate here, maybe some 4Endifference: I actually like the outline, but it never really got fleshed out and was a bit flat as presented. Mearls take is, indeed, pretty fun. Mercer's is better, but he took the time to flesh it out for publication.
I think that this speaks to your preference to have things spelled out for you. You want an explicit setting, not that you would be short of those in how most published settings are presented. I liked having Nentir Vale as an implied setting that was GM-empowering. It wasn't flat. It invited you to explore its contours. Mercer may have a Dawn War and the planes, but it falls flat for me. It doesn't have the same mythic flare. I read through the Tal'Dorei Sourcebook and thought nothing but "meh."

Remove ads