D&D 5E Which Greyhawk?

Yep, the city itself is 132K but the greater lands of Waterdeep are 1.3M, so apparently it is a fairly settled area in the immediate environs.

Again this is all 3e here. I don't have any 4e materials and as far as I can see, the SCAG doesn't give a 5e population count.

One thing that struck me while researching my earlier posts is that we've never had a good large-scale map of the immediate vicinity of Waterdeep, say at 10 to 30 miles to the inch. We've had plenty of maps of the city itself, and plenty of small-scale maps of the North in general, but nothing in between. It would be very helpful for people running Waterdeep-centric games to have that information - especially to know what threats there are to the city in its immediate environment, particularly in the obviously wilder lands in the Sword Mountains and on the eastern side of the Dessarin. And any such map would solve an issue that has been bothering me for years: Waterdeep owes much of what it is due to the trade up and down the Dessarin, but Waterdeep is explicitly stated in text and on maps as not being located at the mouth of the Dessarin, but a few miles to the north. How do the goods get from the Dessarin to Waterdeep, and vice versa? It would be very dangerous to try to float heavily-loaded low-draft river barges even a few miles via sea from the river to the city - is there a protected shipping channel along the shore? Is there an unrevealed river port where the cargo is loaded/unloaded (and it's not at the logical location along the Trade Way where it crosses the river at Zundbridge from descriptions of that location)?

Have you seen this one? It's probably the closest I've seen to what you're looking for.

http://prints.mikeschley.com/p858006957/h31cf670d

No, it would have to be even larger scale than that. Heck, that one doesn't even have Amphail or Rassalantar on it!

I would like to see something like Daggerford in the southeast corner, the northeast corner due north of that at the northern edge of the Forlorn Hills, and a northwest corner due west of that about where the coast would hit the map edge. That would get us up close to Waterdeep and its agricultural hinterlands, but also have a large area of wilderness on the map as well. Something similar to the map of the mid-Dessarin valley in PotA, which gives us good detail of the region just to the north of where we're talking about...

Last edited:

Caliburn101

Explorer
It was a little bit of a tangent, but spamming? Thick. It's a hobby message board dude, chill.

Forums include everyone. Just because that is forgotten frequently by people who inexplicably use open forums for one-on-one discussions doesn't mean its entirely appropriate. There are a good number of other free platforms that can host 1 on 1 discussions - why not use one of those?

People decide to jump into a thread based on the title, and rarely read the whole thing. If they see the discussion has devolved into a minutiae argument between a few people sending one-line or single-paragraph messages in quick succession about something irrelevant to the title, then they turn off and go somewhere else and don't add to the discussion - which is the point of starting a discussion btw....

What the thread could have developed into is lost. A small thing - but true.

Call me weird, but I want to read about and discuss the topic proposed, not something irrelevant to it.

There is no particular point at which a thread is hijacked - it's a very subjective judgement call - but it starts like your discussion has.

Why not just start a new thread on your particularly niche issues about Waterdeep if you are not interested in the OPs proposed purpose of this one?

Davelozzi

Explorer
...There is no particular point at which a thread is hijacked - it's a very subjective judgement call - but it starts like your discussion has...

Agreed. Conversations online, like those in real life, will drift over time. We didn't start the Waterdeep talk to derail Greyhawk, it was just a natural outgrowth of the conversation. For the record, I was just trying to provide info that I happened to stumble upon later that night (or whenever) that related to a point he had made earlier so I figured I would provide, but it wasn't an sort of diss against the Greyhawk convo, which is a topic I am still interested in if anyone still has more to say. So, I see your point and sympathize with it, but a simple/polite "guys, do you mind if we get back to the topic at hand" without bold/capital letters and would be better received than an accusation of spamming, which seemed a little hyperbolic to me. Carry on with the Greytalk as you will.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Agreed. Conversations online, like those in real life, will drift over time. We didn't start the Waterdeep talk to derail Greyhawk, it was just a natural outgrowth of the conversation. For the record, I was just trying to provide info that I happened to stumble upon later that night (or whenever) that related to a point he had made earlier so I figured I would provide, but it wasn't an sort of diss against the Greyhawk convo, which is a topic I am still interested in if anyone still has more to say. So, I see your point and sympathize with it, but a simple/polite "guys, do you mind if we get back to the topic at hand" without bold/capital letters and would be better received than an accusation of spamming, which seemed a little hyperbolic to me. Carry on with the Greytalk as you will.

Fair enough - my initial post is now revised suitably. Thank you for the reasonable exchange.

Remove ads