Redefining D&D 5E Classes and Skills

n4tune8

First Post
I have just uploaded Redefining D&D 5E Classes and Skills to the downloads area.

This is a hack (in the sense of putting the axe through it and putting it back together in my way) of the D&D 5th Edition rules to include back skills (as opposed to a generic proficiency bonus) and limit the number of classes and multiclass combinations. Oh yeah, and spell points too. Use what you like, enjoy!
I have tried to reproduce as little as possible of the PHB rulebook, refering to it whenever possible by page number, but sometime one simply has to rewrite stuff to make it clear.
Thanks to these boards for inspiration for various archetypes.
The mirror link points to a google doc if you are looking for an editable copy.

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
Play a game or two of this and let us know how it goes. I'm glad you didn't go the route of skill points like in 3e/PF, as those annoy me.

madzerker

Explorer
this is very interesting to me, a lot of what you did is how I see it as well. I am kinda newbish to the game (haven't played much since 2nd edition) so I was confused what the skill surge was on the rogue. I didn't see an explanation in the rules or your rule sheet. can you explain?

n4tune8

First Post
It's right under the Rogue table in my document:
Skill Surges: You can expend one or more skill surges as part of any skill roll. Roll 1d6 for each skill surge expended and add the number rolled to the skill roll. You can make this choice after you see the skill roll, but before the DM says whether it succeeds or fails. Some rogue archetypes grant you different uses for skill surges. Once a skill surge is expended, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

So skill surges are basically d6 that you can add to skill rolls. They have other uses for some archetypes, like the assassin can use them as d6 that you add to damage (sneak attack) and the bard can use them as inspiration dice.
With the modifications I made, the Rogue is the go to guy for skills, so he must be able to get things done when the party counts on him. On the other hand, not all rogues are good at backstabbing. In my mind, most rogues would prefer to never even get close to an opponent, and might prefer ranged weapons (which go hand in hand with their high Perception skill).

Again, it's a lot of options bunched together. Take what you want, disregard anything you don't like.

n4tune8

First Post
Play a game or two of this and let us know how it goes. I'm glad you didn't go the route of skill points like in 3e/PF, as those annoy me.

Using 3E/PF skill points would totally go against bound accuracy, which I tried to respect. There is a way to screw with the system by taking, for example, all the options that give you +1 Melee as soon as you can (Half-elf or Human Soldier Fighter 1 / Monk 1 could in theory get +4 Melee at level 2, and eventually +8 Melee at level 18 as Fighter 17 / Monk 1; that's 2 more than a max proficiency bonus, but you lose the possibility of having 24 STR). I'm not happy about it, but minmaxers will always find a way.

madzerker

Explorer
So you can expend one or more skill surges. How many skill surges do you have, how do you get them back or get more. that is the part I am confused about, is there a set amount you get a day or something?
thanks

n4tune8

First Post
So you can expend one or more skill surges. How many skill surges do you have, how do you get them back or get more. that is the part I am confused about, is there a set amount you get a day or something?
thanks

Yes, there is a set amount you get depending on your level. Check the "Skill Surge" column on the Rogue table in the document. You get them all back after a short or long rest.
You inspired me to create another Rogue archetype, more combat oriented but not as sneaky. I added it to the google doc (but not the PDF). Here it is:

Swashbuckler
En garde!: At 3rd level, the Swashbuckler adds Melee to his Rogue class skills. In addition, when wielding only a weapon with the finesse property and no shield, he gets +1 to AC.
Daredevil Acrobat: Starting at 3rd level, you can add half your Acrobatics skill modifier (rounded up) to Dexterity rolls for which you have no class skills, to Athletics rolls when running, jumping or climbing and to Persuasion rolls when appropriate (e.g. distracting, making an entrance). In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you can cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Dexterity modifier.
Precise Strike: Starting at 7th level, when attacking with a weapon with the finesse property, you score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.
Skill Surge: The pointy end goes...: At 11th level, when attacking with a weapon with the finesse property, on a successful hit, you can use one or more skill surges to add 1d6 to your damage per skill surge used.
Improved Precise Strike: At 15th level, your finesse weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18, 19 or 20.
Straight to the Heart: At 19th level, when you score a critical hit with a finesse weapon, you deal triple damage instead of double.

madzerker

Explorer
thanks much for your time and answers! I can see where it wouldn't be too hard to make a lot of subclasses under the 4 main classes. I like it.

Mon

Explorer
I gave you XP for the "I work out" (sub)class feature. Lolz.

The second XP on a different post is not really for that exact post per-se... it is is because I share a lot of your sentiment and thought that was worth another award. I've also been working on my own "new 5e paradigm" with 5 classes + subclasses where the classes provide mostly just the baseline/framework and most of the "heavy lifting" is done in the subclasses. My classes are Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Mage, and Polymath ... but whatevs. I feel you pain re: the monk.

Last edited:

n4tune8

First Post
Thank you Mon for the XP/Laugh. I'm glad that you liked it, especially the little touches like "I work out". Choosing the right Mystic archetypes to cover spheres of influence that players might want took a long time and it is the part that was done last. I started with Fighter and mostly went with whatever was already in the PHB, so as you can see, it is the least developed class. Today I just added the Cavalier fighter archetype to the google doc. I was tempted to make a Gladiator archetype, but was wondering if that wouldn't be more of a background.

So in your 5e paradigm, do you use semi-casters (ranger, paladin)? Do you have any archetypes that grant spell slots?

Remove ads