• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Winter Ceramic DM™: THE WINNER!

Sialia

First Post
mythago said:
Oh, so the four-word phrase from Bandeeto was "mind flayer Iron Chef". I thought maybe it was going to turn out to be "stuff bean up nostril."
biggrin.gif

Ok, at this point, i'm gonna assume anybody that's read this far has read the story.
After round 1, I was bemoaning being all out of concept now that I had beaten the subject of fine art to death. (It wasn't suposed to be about art to begin with--it was supposed to be about the perception of time. But things happened.)

I jokingly suggested that I might take on the performing arts, thinking, perhaps--I dunno--maybe something Laurie Anderson like, in a DG mode. I wasn't planning on recycling the same characters, yet.

Bandeeto's reply was simply "taste-linked performance eating."

One thing led to another.

Oddly enough, as I was re-reading the Illithiad to get my details straight, I noticed that Illithids have a startlingly different perception of time, which is to say, they don't have one. No long term memory. Which tied in nicely with the subtheme that had gotten squashed in the first one. (Squashed when I realized that dragons don't live 40,000 years, but only a mere 4000 or so, tops)

I didn't really manage to work through the time perception deal in this one as thoroughly as I'd have liked either, but the thought is definitely in there.

Originally I had the chunks of flashback all interspersed with the forward action, trying to get at a really different perception of causality and sequence, but , as before, I chickened out and decided too much bowl and not enough soup.

It's hard to do this sort of thing this fast in a way that anyone will be able to follow.

But then, I suppose that that's part of the point.

This sure has been educational.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
Judgment for Semifinal #2 - Cedric vs. Sialia

Maldur

Cerdic with a moody tale of proficy, death and a fresh hero

Sialia with a new adventure of the professor and his rowdy halfling companions.

For the better mood I award the laurel to Cedric.

Judgment: Cedric

arwink

Sialia – The Rose

This story works well on a number of levels, crafting layer upon layer in order to create mood and tension without ever tipping the storytellers hand. The re-use of the characters from the original story is a great call – they have a familiarity to both the audience and Sialia as a storyteller, and this tale gives them a greater sense of depth and history than their initial appearance had.

The best part of Sialia’s style here is summed up in the early stages of her story – it’s all freakishly normal. Despite being captured by mind flayers, the conflicts being faced by the characters tend towards something more real, more normal, and more accessible for the audience to understand. There is no need to wrap our minds around the fantasy aspects of Sialia’s story, it’s mostly there as window dressing for dealing with the halfling’s more human foibles.

My only real criticism of this story would be its introduction, where the story hasn’t quite found it’s feet and things are slightly muddled. The rapid-fire bursts of imagery in the first paragraph have an impact, but would be more effective with shorter, sharper sentences that jab at the reader. In many ways, the second paragraph seems a more natural beginning to the tale, setting up the world and situation much more clearly than the current opening.

Cedric – Untitled

I’m going to feel like a broken record saying this, but my two biggest problems with Cedric’s story were the dialogue and the lack of tension :) There are some great elements here, and I’m a sucker for a good tragedy, but once again I think the tyranny of the time limit has thwarted the development of a very good story.

The dialogue here is less archaic than in Cedric’s first story, but it still lack’s the feel of people talking to one another. The primary problem lies in the fact that the two characters make declarative statements throughout the piece – they explain plot points and give background that is necessary for the reader, but unnecessary for two characters who are at home with the world. The effect is similar to watching a one-sided telephone call in a movie, where the person on the phone repeats everything the other person says in order to clue the audience into what’s going on (“What’s that, you want to meet at the old abandoned warehouse?” rather than “I’ll see you there.”). While it effectively pushes the plot forward, it does so with a lack of sophistication that tends to jar modern audiences.

The lack of tension here largely comes from not knowing what the characters have to loose. The ending here is something of a bittersweet payoff – a great closer for this kind of story – but we don’t get a great sense of foreboding from the earlier parts of the story and the exact nature of the characters relationship doesn’t become apparent until just before the loss is inflicted upon them.

The Judgment
I give this round to Sialia. Her layered story is well crafted and very effective, and it doesn’t feel as though the plot is being driven by the necessity of putting in the pictures. Cedric’s story contains a number of good elements that could be developed into a fine story, but the tyranny of Ceramic DM’s has struck it’s development and left it feeling rushed and in need of polishing.

Judgment: Sialia

mythago

Small quibble with both the stories: I know it's hard to avoid in fantasy, but it's easy to overdo Significant Capitals that denote Things of Interest, Portentious Doings and so forth. This isn't German. :)

Cedric - Untitled

OUT OF COMMAS STOP SITUATION DIRE STOP REPUNCTUATE IMMEDIATELY AS PER ORDERS FULL STOP

Just kidding. But I told you I was a snot about that stuff...there's a lot of punctuation missing, to the point where it makes the reading of the story difficult going.

There is a lot to like here. The difference in the characters' ages is unusual, but not remarked upon; it's merely interesting background, as it should be. I love their interaction, affectionate and familiar. I'm puzzled as to the later discussion about childbearing, though; the description (fine as it is) of her face in the mirror makes her sound nearly elderly, far past a time when having children would make sense. This of course makes the end of the story remarkable, but her conversation with Maxwell about finally having children doesn't therefore fit.

The dialogue also flubs at times; at one point Rose rolls her eyes, flusters and grits her teeth in the same sentence before getting a word out. And there is at times an unfortunate combination of the stilted and courtly and rough speech--either of which is fine, but together they jar. The use of the pictures was okay, though the serpent felt rather wedged in (and why did it kill Maxwell and then slither off, rather unsnake-like?).

The closing line about the rhubarb pie is exceptional.

Sialia - The Rose

The story reads like an unfinished chapter from a longer work, which, of course, it is, but as a Ceramic DM entry it needs to stand alone.

The opening is unfortunately weak. We don't know that Silvado is an illithid, so we have a mental (sorry) picture of him and his herd that changes once we learn what he is. The "iron over a handkerchief" line was awful--I had a mental picture of the boat hissing and sending up steam as it neatly pressed out all the creases. And the halflings being miraculously unhurt...well...

Things get better after this. There are some true gems in this story: the frontier colony, the fop Nourisher, the illithid Iron Chef competition. The entire sequence with Mirabelle is a truly inspired use of a photograph, though none of the others go to waste.

Other good things: Tarnby really shines. It would have been easy to get reader sympathy by killing off tough Mirabelle or sweet Lillabo, but Tarnby, who doesn't otherwise stand out, surprisingly fits perfectly into that role. Not so good: the mind flayers were able to anticipate/mindread most of the halflings' moves, but didn't foresee Lillabo's plan for the mushroom? It's a good end scene, but there's a continuity error.

Judgment: Sialia

mythago

Hero
And so for the final round, it's Piratecat vs. Sialia! East Coast vs. West Coast! Boy vs. girl! Age vs. beauty!

Uh...well...at least I think so, on that last one. Siala gets points for not having a metal question mark joined to her wrist :D

BSF

Explorer
Don't forget DM vs Player! ;)

Well, former DM vs Former Player at least. Whew! This next round is going to be good.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
I must say, with this last judgment, I wanted to skip all the talking and see who won. Held firm. Congrats to Sialia (I felt that special sort of sad you feel for favored literary characters when Tarnby died...), and well done on Cedric's part as well. :)

Cedric

First Post
I'm puzzled as to the later discussion about childbearing, though; the description (fine as it is) of her face in the mirror makes her sound nearly elderly, far past a time when having children would make sense.

I felt that I could have done a much, much better job of explaining this...but in the opening and the ending she was an elderly woman reflecting back on the past. Then in the bulk of the story itself we are seeing the past through her memories.

I saw so many things I wanted to do to polish this. But events transpired to keep me from being able to write this until the last night...and then the boards crashed, etc. I sorely wanted to go back and really polish it...but even though I wasn't able to post it, I still stopped all work on it before the cutoff time.

For what it's worth, I want to say that I think the best person absolutely won this round. I waited to hear what the judges had to say, but I was going to be disappointed if you didn't hand the victory to Sialia.

The finals are definitely setup for a great round though. I'm just hoping that some time in the future I may get a chance to participate again in a Ceramic DM. I've had a great time and this has forced me to write..and I think I learned a lot from it.

Cedric

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oh, my. I'm trying not to anticipate, but I really am looking forward to this. Cedric, well fought! And Sialia... "yodels of psychic imperative" had me in awe by the second paragraph. Git along, little halfling!

Do we know yet when the photos will be posted? I'm assuming it's late this week. Saturday is a complete disaster for me, but if the photos go up (say) Friday night it would work out well for me.

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
Sialia - The Rose

The story reads like an unfinished chapter from a longer work, which, of course, it is, but as a Ceramic DM entry it needs to stand alone.
it does?

pity. must have missed that regulation. was that up there with the "no pdfs" rule? I get dim about these things.

The opening is unfortunately weak. We don't know that Silvado is an illithid, so we have a mental (sorry) picture of him and his herd that changes once we learn what he is.
actually, that amused the heck out of me.

Originally, you didn't get to find out that he was an illithid until the party had a chance to "chat" with Syyalea and find out what the heck illithids are.
But I to condense somewhere.

The "iron over a handkerchief" line was awful--I had a mental picture of the boat hissing and sending up steam as it neatly pressed out all the creases.
Actually, that was pretty much exactly what I had pictured.
fssssst!
one flat illithid.
it still amuses me.

And the halflings being miraculously unhurt...well...
There was a good paragraph going over this, but it got axed during the final edits when I trimmed about four pages of "extraneous stuff" out. (Probably including thier first close look at the faces of thier captors, which might have been more of a giveaway--but I decided to let a lot of set and costume description go to keep things brief. Briefer.)

Things get better after this. There are some true gems in this story: the frontier colony, the fop Nourisher, the illithid Iron Chef competition. The entire sequence with Mirabelle is a truly inspired use of a photograph, though none of the others go to waste.
Thank you.

After the fun I had writing various folks in to the first one, I thought it would be fun to write the rest of us into it, you sick voyeurs, you.

Other good things: Tarnby really shines. It would have been easy to get reader sympathy by killing off tough Mirabelle or sweet Lillabo, but Tarnby, who doesn't otherwise stand out . . .
was expendable. Also, his player moved to Seattle this week. Kidding.
Not so good: the mind flayers were able to anticipate/mindread most of the halflings' moves, but didn't foresee Lillabo's plan for the mushroom?
They were preoccupied. They probably knew that she was giving him something poisonous--Tarnby certainly believed that it was--and they were kind of looking forward to what effect that would have. Lillabo didn't know exactly what the nature of the poison was, only that it was "bad stuff."

Mirabelle and the Prof probably knew, but nobody asked them.

So hey, maybe not well enough explained, but not really a problem, per se. Distributed ignorance is probably the best way to deal with mind readers, in my experience.

Many thanks to all of you for a fine round.

And especiallly for letting me finally get away with the "yodelling cowboy mindcontrollers" and the "moonshining Appalachian halflings" and the "travelling medicine show and minstrels" stuff I've had tucked away for a couple of years. I never could find a GM willing to run those modules for me --Bandeeto, P'cat and KidCthulhu all held their noses when I first came up with those. Sigh. They waited soooo long to see the light of day.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
Sialia said:
pity. must have missed that regulation. was that up there with the "no pdfs" rule? I get dim about these things.
Perhaps I was unclear. You didn't lose points for a continuing storyline. You also didn't gain any.

Piratecat, I'm thinking Friday morning.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's it. For my next entry, I'm tempted to write a bodice-ripper romance novel. Breast-heaving and impassioned glances all around! :p

"Mom, what's a throbbing member?"

"Umm.. stop reading my romance novel, dear. And it's the member of the native tribe who plays all the drums."

Last edited:

Remove ads