OOC Shackled City Gestalt Campaign (Full)

Michael Tree

First Post
When are you thinking of starting play? This sounds like fun, but I won't have any free time until the start of April.

Would you consider using the UA general spellcaster, or allowing spells not on the sorcerer list, so people can choose more idiosyncratic spell selections?

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
A few answers . . .

First -

Vargo said:
Stupid question - what books are allowed?

Definitely not a stupid question. :cool: Anything published by WotC, updated to 3.5 edition (including alternate campaign settings, i.e. Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Oriental Adventures, and Ghostwalk. I have all the books, but of course everything is ultimately subject to DM apporval).

On a limited basis, I will also accept material from the Fantasy Flight Games Legends & Lairs line and the Mongoose Publishing Encyclopaedia Arcane series.

Please keep in mind the house-ruled material in the introductory post.

Next -

Michael Tree said:
When are you thinking of starting play? This sounds like fun, but I won't have any free time until the start of April.

Would you consider using the UA general spellcaster, or allowing spells not on the sorcerer list, so people can choose more idiosyncratic spell selections?

I really have no idea when play will begin. It really depends on how many prospective players respond to this thread and how soon the available 4 slots are filled up. However, considering that two players have posted viable characters in the past 24 hours, I imagine we will begin play fairly soon. Most likely mid-to-late next week, although conceivably as soon as Monday.

There will be no general spellcasters, or indeed, any race/class/game altering mechanics in this game, besides those listed in the introductory post. All players will be a gestalt sorcerer, as I originally defined.

However, I may consider unique spells (as well as feats, prestige classes, magic items, etc.). For instance, anyone can freely memorize a different elemental version of a spell (This is not free energy substitution: this is for permanently memorized sorcerer spells), such as Sonic Bolt in place of Lightning Bolt.

Any personally created spells, like anything outside the core rules, must first receive DM approval.

I hope this answered everyone's questions!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I really like your character concept, Ghostknight. Welcome to the campaign!

However, please keep in mind the following for your character (but please correct me if I'm mistaken, anywhere):

• In 3.5 edition, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat at 2nd-level.
  • Your character gains 5 skill points per level (4 from monk, 0 from Intelligence, 1 from human), and thus has 20 to spend at 1st-level. You have 4 more points to spend!
  • Please include the additional information for your quarterstaff weapon (type, attack bonus, damage, critical).
  • I am also using the Domain variant from UA: Please choose one for your character.

Ghostknight, I understand you have not yet see UA, yet. :( Domains for sorcerers adds one additional spell known per spell level, and these spells are cast at +1 caster level. These are fixed, depending on the domain chosen, upon gaining the first level of sorcerer.

Here are the available domains:

Antimagic, Battle, Cold, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Fire, Illusion, Movement*, Necromancy, Storm, Time*, and Transmutation.
(*homebrew domains)

If any of these sound interesting, let me know and I will provide the full spell list for anyone interested.

Erekose13

Explorer
Polaris Nemarin

Erekose13

Polaris Nemarin
Male Elf
LG
Gestalt Paladin/Sorceror

Str - 14, +2 06
Dex - 12, +1 02
Con - 10, +0 04
Int - 08, -1 00
Wis - 12, +1 04
Cha - 18, +4 16

Hit Points - 1d10 (10hp)

Base Attack Bonus - +1

AC - 11 = 10 + armor(0) + shield(0) + Dex(1) + size(0) + other(0)
Touch - 11
Flatfooted - 10

Grapple - +3 = +base(1) +Str(2) +size +other

Speed - 30 ft.

Inititative - +1

Fort - +2 = +base(2) + Con(0) + other(0)
Ref - +1 = +base(0) + Dex(1) + other(0)
Will - +2 = +base(2) + Wis(0) + other(0)

Weapon (Melee/Ranged), range, type, attack bonus, damage, critical
  • Greatsword (melee), -, S, +4, 2d6+4, 19-20/x2
  • Longbow (ranged), 100ft, P, +3, 1d8, x3 (20 Arrows)

Armor, type, speed, AC bonus, max Dex, check penalty, spell failure
N/A

Shield AC bonus, check penalty, spell failure
N/A

Light Load - 58
Medium Load - 116
Heavy Load - 175
Current Load = 30lbs (Light)

Money - 99gp, 0sp, 0cp

Feats (origin)
  • Eshew Materials (Sorceror Bonus)
  • Weapon Focus (Greatsword)

Special Abilities
  • Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
  • Low-Light Vision.
  • An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
  • Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a paladin’s aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to his paladin level(1).
  • Detect Evil (Sp): At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell.
  • Smite Evil (Su): Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (+4) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level(1). If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.
  • Abjuration Domain Caster: gains an additional spell known at each spell level and can cast that spell once per day.

Skills (12 skill points, Max ranks: 4/2)
  • Concentration (Con) +4 = +0+4+0+0
  • Diplomacy (Cha) +6 = +4+2+0+0
  • Intimidate (Cha) +6 = +4+2+0+0
  • Sense Motive (Wis) +5 = +1+4+0+0
  • Spot (Wis) +3 = +1+0+2+0
  • Listen (Wis) +3 = +1+0+2+0
  • Search (Int) +1 = -1+0+2+0

Languages known: Common, Elvish

Arcance spell failure - 0

Sorcerer Spells per day - 5/4

Sorcerer Spells Known
  • 0th-level - Daze, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic, Resistance*
  • 1st-level - Enlarge Person, Mage Armor, Shield*

Gear
  • backpack, blanket, flint and steel
  • trail rations (5 days), waterskin
  • adventurer's outfit
  • 4 sunrods

Description: One word defines Polaris - Beauty. At about 4' 9" and 93lbs, he is a very comely elf, a little on the short side but his slightly girlish looks and his deep brown eyes make many a lass swoon. He doesn't put any effort into his looks, but his longish tossled sandy-brown hair and well definied muscle structure can only add to his appearance. He generally wears a light blue shirt, prominently featuring the sun-burst emblem of his order. He is quite humble and easy going, though when faced with what he terms 'Eeevil' he becomes more stern. Not the most bright of individuals, he also has a problem with his memory. Long-term knowledge and memories tend to fade and while common-sense is not an issue, book learning is somewhat beyond him. Though he has trouble remembering his age sometimes he has seen 121 winters and is thus still pretty young for an elf.

History: Polaris was born in a large city, unusual for an elf. He doesn't remember a whole lot of his early years and most things he remembers come after he joined the Order of Radiance, the knightly order associated with the church of Pelor. Why he choose Pelor in the first place is lost to the shadows of time, but it does really seem a good fit to him. He is a kind and gentle soul, though he gets outraged at crimes against people.

While he doesn't remember how he ended up a knight of Pelor, some of the orders highest knights know the tale. Left on the doorstep of the Church in Caldron, abondoned and forsaken, the small elf was taken in by the brother hood. He bore a strange mark upon his left breast which resembles a crumbling tower. Perhaps that is why he was orphaned, none of the brotherhood actually knew why. His sorcerous talent has always been with him from birth. Taught at first to hide his abilities by the priests of the church, one man, a particularly pious old knight named Carnas took him under his wing. He showed Polaris how to manifest his abilities as they truely were, gifts of Pelor. By stringent prayers and meditation, Polaris learned how to summon his abilities when he needed them.

Over time the order has come to understand that Polaris is a special individual and that just maybe, he might be a chosen of Pelor. He can manifest a few small dwoemers and chooses not to wear the restrictive armor most of his fellow knights wear, relying instead on the protective spells in his repetoire. Before every battle he calls on Pelor's light to protect him, masking his sorcerous powers as divine spells of a defensive nature.

Having recently graduated into the full rank of Knight of the Order of Radiance, Polaris is ready to step out of the monestary and continue his quest to help people. Much of his background has been kept secret from him, the older members of the order cautious about revealing the secret of his orphanage to the rather fragile and forgetful young elf.

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
James Whitewolf
Male Human
Druid/Sorcerer

Str 12 +1
Dex 14 +2
Con 14 +2
Int 12 +2
Wis 14 +2
Cha 14 +2

Hit Points 1d8 (10hp)

Base Attack Bonus -+0

AC-12 = 10 +Armor (0)+ Shield(0) +Dex(2)+Size(0)+other
Touch-12
Flatfooted-10

Grapple - +1 = Base(0)+Str(+1)+Size+other

Speed- 30ft.

Fort +4
Ref +2
Will +4

Iniative- +2

Weapon (Melee/Ranged) range type, attack bonus, damage, critical
Scimitar (Melee) S, +1, 1d6+1, 18-20/x2
Spear (Melee) P, +1, 1d8+1, 20/x3
Spear (Range)20, P +2, 1d8+1, 20/x3

Echew Materials (Sorcerer Bonus)
Track
Brew Potion

Skills (24 skill points Max Rank 4/2)
Concentration (Con) +6=+2+4+0+0
Knowledge, Nature (Int) +5= +1 +2+0+2
Knowledge, Arcane(Int) +3= +1+2+0+0
Survival (Wis) +8= +2+4+0+2
Handle Animal (Cha) +4= +2+2+0+0
Spot (Wis) +3=+2+1+0+0
Listen (Wis) +3=+2+1+0+0
Profession, Herbalist (Wis) +6=+2+4+0+0
Healing (Wis) +3=+2+1+0+0
Knowledge, Alchemy +2=+1+1+0+0

Languages: Common, Druid (bonus), Sylvan or Tribal

Class Abilities:
Spells:Druid 3/2 day
Sorcerer 5/4 day
Wild Empathy(Ex):Druid: 1d20+3 as diplomacy for animals.
Nature Sense(Ex): Druid: +2 Knowledge, nature and Survival checks.
Animal Companion(Ex): Snow "female artic wolf"
Link(Ex): handle Snow as free action, push as move action. +4 handle animal and wild empathy checks.
Share Spells (Ex): May share spells cast on self with Snow.
Bonus Tricks (Ex):1
Spontaneous Casting:Druid: May loose prepared for spells for summoning spells.
Domain Sorcer: cold
Sorcerer Spells Known:0: DC 12 Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Light, Read Magic, Ray of Frost 1: DC 13 Chill Touch, Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor

Druid Spells Prepared:0: DC 12 Cure minor Woundsx2, Detect Magic
1:DC:13 Cure Light Wounds x2

Gear:
BackPack 2 gp 2 lbs
Water Skin 1 gp 4 lbs
Spear 2 gp 6 lb
Scimitar 15 gp 4 lb
Dagger 2 gp 1 lb
Explorer's Outfit gp 8 lb
Holy & Mistletoe -
Trail Rations 2 days 10 sp 3 lb
3 Sunrods 6 gp 3 lb
5 Tindertwigs 5 gp
Bedroll 1 sp 5 lb
10 Fishhooks 10 sp -
Belt pouch 1 gp .5lb
Spell Component Pouch 5 gp 2 lb

Total:40 gp
37.5 lb Light

Snow:Artic Wolf Size:M HD:2d8+4 (13 hp) Iniative +2 Speed 50' (10 squares)
AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural) touch 12, flatfooted 12 Base Attack/Grapple +1/+2 Attack +3 bite (1d6+1) Space/Reach 5'/5' Special Attacks:Trip Special Qualities:Low-Light Vision, Scent Saves:Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 Abilities: Str 13 +1 Dex 15 +2 Con 15 +2 Int 2 -4 Wis 12+1 Cha 6 -2 Skills: Hide +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Spot +3, Survival +1 * Feats: Track b, Weapon Focus (bite) *+4 tracking by scent Trip:+1 check free action without making a touch attack, or provoking an attack of oppurtunity. If trip fails Snow cannot be tripped in return. Trained for general purpose hunting, bonus trick stay.

Appearance: James appears to be a wildman from the north, with dark brown hair and blue eyes. His hair is matted with grease and he has tribal tattoos on his face and arms. He stands a shade under six foot and weighs about 160 lbs. He is dressed frayed leathers, his scimitar by his side and spear in his hand. A snow-white wolf follows him where ever he goes.

Background: James Whitewolf was raised to the calling of tribal shaman of the Ice Wolf clan far to the north. Following in his father William's footsteps. For several moons he has heard the earth crying from a deep wound far to the south. Unable to resist any longer he approaced his parents and told them of his dreams. His father interpreted the dreams and told him he must travel to the civilized lands and correct this shift in the balance. His mother Mary made sure he was equiped for the journey, and sent him south, with his faithful companion, Snow.

Last edited:

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Erekose13, you're in, too. Of course, we had to have the obligatory paladin/sorcerer. ;)

Also, I'm afriad I wasn't entirely clear in my first post about the Domain variant I would like to use (I should edit that). Although the sorcerer gets one additional spell known per spell level, he does not gain additional spells per day. However, these additional spells known will be at +1 caster level. Sorry about that.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
rangerjohn said:
Could you please give me the spell list for the cold domain?

Sure thing.

Cold Domain
  • 0 - ray of frost
  • 1 - chill touch
  • 2 - chill metal (as 2nd-level druid spell)
  • 3 - sleet storm
  • 4 - wall of ice
  • 5 - cone of cold
  • 6 - Otiluke's freezing sphere
  • 7 - delayed blast frostball (as delayed blast fireball, but deals cold damage instead of fire damage)
  • 8 - polar ray
  • 9 - comet swarm (as meteor swarm, but deals cold damage instead of fire damage)

Erekose13

Explorer
But of course, the paladin/sorceror is a natural pair. Just needed to work hard on getting AC up there, which goes for any melee based character. Fixed the spells per day thing. I was going to ask how you were going to do that, so you answered my question even before I asked it :) I don't think I will change my character, but I am curious what the Time and Movement Domains have in them.

Ghostknight

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
I really like your character concept, Ghostknight. Welcome to the campaign!

Thank you

However, please keep in mind the following for your character (but please correct me if I'm mistaken, anywhere):

• In 3.5 edition, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat at 2nd-level.

• Nope, At first level it ids a choice of stunning fist or improved grapple (PHB, p41)

[*] Your character gains 5 skill points per level (4 from monk, 0 from Intelligence, 1 from human), and thus has 20 to spend at 1st-level. You have 4 more points to spend!

Aargh, forgot the human bonuses, I wi have amended the sheet above.

[*] Please include the additional information for your quarterstaff weapon (type, attack bonus, damage, critical).
    [*] I am also using the Domain variant from UA: Please choose one for your character.

Amended the sheetn for the quarterstaff.

I have tried every shop that stocks RPGs in JHB. In a city of around 7 or 8 million you would think we would have more than three shops! On top of that one is going out of business so nothing newer thatn six months, one is having problems with importers and the last is owned by a real idiot who has ne idea of what to buy.

Oh well, I just have to wait for Amazon to get it into stock and then three weeks for postage. For the domain I reckon the movement domain or battle domain sound right for a monk

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Ghostknight said:
Nope, At first level it ids a choice of stunning fist or improved grapple (PHB, p41)

Right you are. I must be dylsexic. Here are the Battle and Movement domains, for your perusal:

Battle Domain
  • 0 - daze
  • 1 - true strike
  • 2 - protection from arrows
  • 3 - greater magic weapon
  • 4 - fire shield
  • 5 - Bigby's interposing hand
  • 6 - Tenser's transformation
  • 7 - power word blind
  • 8 - moment of prescience
  • 9 - time stop

...and my homebrew:

Movement Domain
  • 0 - mage hand
  • 1 - expedititous retreat
  • 2 - levitate
  • 3 - fly
  • 4 - dimension door
  • 5 - passwall
  • 6 - shadow walk
  • 7 - greater teleport
  • 8 - phase door
  • 9 - gate

Time Domain
  • 0 - guidance (as 0-level druid spell)
  • 1 - true strike
  • 2 - slow magic*
  • 3 - haste
  • 4 - time to act*
  • 5 - permanency
  • 6 - contingency
  • 7 - vision
  • 8 - temporal stasis
  • 9 - time stop

*new spells from Chronomancy: the Powers of Time; Mongoose Publishing, 2002; described below

Slow Magic
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 2

Slow magic is identical to dispel magic, except where specifically noted. Spells successfuly affected by this spell are not dispelled but are instead suppressed for 1d4+1 rounds.

Magic items and spells with an instantaneous duration are unaffected by slow magic.

Slow magic can be used with a counterspell but only against spells with a duration other than instantaneous. The countered spell begins to operate normally after 1d4+1 rounds.

A suppressed spell can still be detected using detect magic and the time spent suppressed counts against the spell's duration.

Time to Act
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Brd 3
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

Time to act gives you the time to perform a single skill check. The skill check must be an actual action, you must have at least one rank in the skill; all necessary equipment must be on your person and ready to use. Skill checks that require extensive time or bulk materials cannot be used with this spell. The skill check cannot be a reaction to outside actions or the actions of others.

During the action, you cannot move from your current position but you can perform any other physical aspects of the skill use. You cannot make use of any spell, supernatural or even extraordinary ability related-skill check. You could, for example, use this spell to disable a trap you are kneeling next to or pick a lock. You could not use it to Sense Motive, Balance, Jump, or Tumble. You cannot even Hide unless already in a suitable place to do so.

While you perform the skill use, the world appears to stop to you. It could even be a Search check as long as the search does not require you to move. To others you seem to blur and then the action is complete.

Remove ads