• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring Ceramic DM™: WINNER POSTED!

orchid blossom

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Next judgment will probably be posted tomorrow. Mythago, Orchid Blossom... stay tuned!

Suuuuure, and I'm probably the only person on these boards who absolutley can't go online at work....

S'ok, anticipation makes final result all the more satisfying. (I was going to say the victory, but I'm just not talented with the smacktalk.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Judgment of Match 1-4: Mythago vs. Orchid Blossom.

Maldur:

Archeology must be a dangerous business. Great story, But Mythago left me gasping.

Mythago gets my vote.

Arwink:

Orchid Blossom - Disruption

A very nice introduction, with a nice balance being struck between the movements of Devakiri and giving us enough background to understand who and what she might be. The shift in tone back and forth between the Professors viewpoints and hers also adds to the effect of the story. While this still has the occasional rough edge, it is in the form of minor things that likely result from putting the story together so quickly. As usual, my awe for people able to put together this quality of work in such a short space of time is firmly in place.

Mythago – Lifespan

One of the things that I’ve always loved about ceramic DM is that it has always fed my love of the mythic tale, and Mythago produces some of the best. The story is very controlled and a pleasure to read, the only place where it seems to concede any ground to the rigors of the contest occurring when the choice is made to transform into a preying mantis – something that seems slightly out of place with the style of the story up to this point.

Judgment

A thousand curses upon Piratecat for making me chooses between these two tales so early in the contest – this is the kind of decision that I’d normally expect from the later parts of the competition rather than the first round. Both of these stories are very well down, with the style and voice showing the kind of control that is hard to master in such a short space of time. Choosing between them is largely a matter of splitting some very fine hairs, and in the end I give my vote to Mythago largely because I love the folkish overtones to her story.

Piratecat:

If I could, I'd advance both stories.

But I can't, can I? So let's look at the stories. Orchid Blossom starts off with a very nicely contained tale. Great characterizations throughout, good movement between the different characters in order to create tension, realistic conversation, and a fine ending that's happy -- sort of. Depending on who you're identifying with. I had no complaints with style, and the plotting was excellent. This is the first story so far that had a uniformly good beginning, middle and ending.

The illustrations were also used very well. While we usually have a prohibition against "illustration as in-story photo," the use of "Rest" as a cave wall carving was just right. Nice job comparing the closeup on the mantis to someone lifting it up to their eyes. The view of the hill from a distance was the weakest usage, but that's not saying much.

Then I read Mythago's tale. I'm a sucker for a fable, and you just don't see them very often. Like Orchid Blossom's, this story was almost perfectly constructed. There was a small logic gap when the mantis turned back into the woman, aging herself horribly in the process, but that's forgiveable when compared to the fine structure and tone of how the story was written.

With one notable exception, Mythago's photo usage was consistently weaker than Orchid Blossom's. The accordian was a little strained in the tone of the story, and while I liked the large mantis I'm not sure it fit the tone of the tale perfectly either. "Rest" was a little more throw-away than I'd have liked. Nevertheless, the usage of "Climb" helped balance things out; the inspiration of seeing a woman's body in the mountain and making that the emotional climax of the tale is simply breathtaking. Kudos. It's moments like this one that made me want to judge in the first place.

Judgment in this case is brutal, because both stories are great. My judgment goes to Orchid Blossom, on the strength of her comparative illustration usage. Nice job, both of you. This is the kind of match I'd expect to see in the Final, not the first round.

FINAL JUDGMENT: 2 out of 3 for Mythago, who will go on to the second round.

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
Congrats to Mythago, it's certainly no embarassment to lose to her fine story. Now she just has to go on and win the whole thing so I can at least brag that I lost to the winner.

Being originally from Wisconsin, the first thing I thought of when I saw the old man with the accordian was beer, brats, and polka. There was no other choice. I knew immediately that he had to die, you can't have a picture of a mantis, an animal that will eat it's own kind by biting off heads, without someone losing a head somewhere. (I might have been the only one who got that, but it made me happy.)

Short story form has never been my forte, so it's rather surprising to me that this came out so well. I think the strict word limit really helped me here. Every word had to count and it kept me from wandering. There were all sorts of other things I wanted to include due to my tendency to overexplain things. It was a case of show, don't tell. The story had to stand on it's own without superfluous explanations.

The other trouble I generally have is plot. The pictures were great to help with this. Instead of starting in a huge field with no direction, I had four specific "plot points" I had to hit. It was a matter of figuring out how to hook them together.

All in all, this was an invaluable experience. I have not written in a long time, and now I'm finding an urge to do more writing.

I'd love to hear any more specific criticisms anyone might have to help me avoid the same mistakes the next time.

Thanks to the judges, and I hope everyone enjoyed the story.

mythago

Hero
The best part about winning is that I can now say just how much Orchid Blossom's story rocked. I was moderately pleased with mine, and then read "Disruption" and thought "Whoops. I suck."

"You underestimate the power of beer and bratwurst, Professor. Believe me, they're ready to roll out the barrel." Best Ceramic DM line. Ever.

The bad part about winning is that Orchid Blossom isn't going to advance. That is, frankly, everyone's loss.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
WanderingMonster said:
I'm sure he had a very pleasant visit with Mr. Tumnus and the Beavers.

I'm visiting with Mr. Tumnus and the Beavers RIGHT NOW, if you know what I mean -- and I think you do.

Actually, "Mr. Tumnus and the Beavers" is a great name for a band. What actually happened is that I got Arwink's comments before I turned in for the night.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Maldur said:
Archeology must be a dangerous business.

You have seen the Indiana Jones movies, haven't you Maldur? ;)

Congrats to Mythago, though I am sad I won't get to see more stories from orchid right now. Hopefully she'll compete in the next ceramic dm.

Daulnay

First Post
RE: Orchid Blossom vs. Mythago

This is the third Ceramic DM that I've followed, and am finally moved to comment. The best of the Ceramic DM stories are as good or better than the stuff that makes it into commercial collections. A collection of the best pieces would make an excellent commercial release. But this is really an aside. This matchup exposes a serious flaw in the Ceramic DM competition:

This contest ought to be double elimination.

Yes, it's more work.[1] But some very fine writing will be stillborn because of matchups like this one, and we are all the poorer for it.

orchid blossom said:
I'd love to hear any more specific criticisms anyone might have to help me avoid the same mistakes the next time.

To Orchid Blossom:
What mistakes? It was a great tale, and you were up against the best writer I know (speaking as Mr. Mythago here). People were not just being polite when they expressed regret that only one of you can move up.

--
D'aulnay
aka Samwise

[1] It's very doable. The contest could have two panels of judges, one for each tree. There's no shortage of people willing to judge. Or photographic material -- PKitty himself just said he had some 90 photos still to use, I know Mythago has a bunch more, and I'm sure the other former judges do too.

Each writer would also get at least two chances to write. A second chance, to cajole a recalcitrant muse or to make up for one set of pictures that leaves you stumped. It would be fairer.

Remove ads