Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

Roger

First Post
Room 5: The Inhabited Octopus (EL 8)

---
The river opens into a large cavern. Two high cliff ledges overlook a large pile of bones that form an island. Sitting on them is an enormous octopus, apparently the source of the stench of rotting fish.
---

At first sight, this monster appears to be the animated zombie of a giant octopus. However, there are several clues that may alert the players that all is not what it seems. It is neutral (since it is essentially an animated object) rather than evil. It fights with more intelligence than a standard zombie, and the shapes of the insects crawling under its skin can be clearly seen. Finally, zombies can usually only be created from creatures that have a skeletal system.

The (dead) octopus is actually inhabited by a swarm of hellwasps. It doesn't immediately attack, as some of the other inhabitants give it offerings for safe passage. It is quick to counterattack, however.

Giant Octopus 'Zombie' Tactics: During this part of the encounter, the swarm directs the animated octopus to engage the characters in melee combat. It tries to remain on its island of bones -- the remains of other creatures it has inhabited -- and use its reach. It cannot reach anyone on the two ledges, which may encourage the PCs to occupy them and attack from a distance.

Hellwasp Swarm Tactics: Once the octopus is destroyed, the swarm's tactics change considerably. It will first attempt to attack anyone who stands on either of the ledges, with a preference for lone attackers and spellcasters. If it manages to drop a character with its poison, it may decide to inhabit the victim if it seems relatively safe to do so.

Giant Octopus 'Zombie'
Size/Type: Large Construct (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 16d12+3 (107 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares; can't run), swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+15
Attack: Tentacle +11 melee (1d4+6) or slam +11 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Tentacle +11 melee (1d4+6) or slam +11 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Single actions only, damage reduction 5/slashing, darkvision 60 ft., construct traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +10
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 13, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: None
Feats: Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
Challenge Rating: 5*
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 18-20 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

* CR is subsumed into the hellwasp swarm's CR.

Hellwasp swarm: 93 hp.

Treasure: [Average treasure for EL8 is 3,400 gp; not sure what I'll put here. If someone else wants to use this money for their treasure, it's pretty much up for grabs.]

The Room:

- The cliffs are 40' high; the top of the cavern is about 60' up. Climbing the cliff face is DC 10 due to numerous natural handholds.

- The island of bones should be considered difficult terrain.

- The river is somewhat shallower here than elsewhere, although it's still deep enough that any character reduced to zero Dexterity by the swarm's poison could easily drown. [How deep/fast is the river elsewhere?]

- DM's may want to review the rules on swarm creatures.

[Feedback welcome.]

Cheers,
Roger

der_kluge

Adventurer
Roger said:
Monster Manual, pg 238, and also the SRD.

Ah, I see it. It's under Swarm...

That's wicked.

Although I'm not sure the resulting creature (octopus) is a construct. I think it's just a non-undead zombie basically. The hitpoints of the zombie octopus (as I understand it), are just that of the hellwasp swarm itself.

What do hellwasps eat? I guess the offering is of food - otherwise they attack on sight? Could the hellwasps in their octopus host use it to scavenge for food in the river itself? Probably not, but it's an interesting idea. Why would the hellwasps even need the octopus host?

Roger

First Post
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's "really" a construct or not. I kinda look at it like casting Animate Object on an object that just happens to be a dead body.

I believe the inhabited host is supposed to get its own hit points. It's analogous to how it seems to work with a living host. There's also a line in the SRD which makes me think this is the way to do it: "Any attack against the host deals half damage to the hellwasp swarm as well, although the swarm’s resistances and immunities may negate some or all of this damage."

What do they eat? I dunno. They're wasps from hell. They probably eat bitter tears and broken dreams.

Anyway, thanks, kluge, for looking over this. I'm still open to feedback, especially with an eye towards harmonizing this guy with other encounters in the module.

Cheers,
Roger

der_kluge

Adventurer
Roger said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's "really" a construct or not. I kinda look at it like casting Animate Object on an object that just happens to be a dead body.

I believe the inhabited host is supposed to get its own hit points. It's analogous to how it seems to work with a living host. There's also a line in the SRD which makes me think this is the way to do it: "Any attack against the host deals half damage to the hellwasp swarm as well, although the swarm’s resistances and immunities may negate some or all of this damage."

What do they eat? I dunno. They're wasps from hell. They probably eat bitter tears and broken dreams.

Anyway, thanks, kluge, for looking over this. I'm still open to feedback, especially with an eye towards harmonizing this guy with other encounters in the module.

Cheers,
Roger

Hahaha! bitter tears indeed.

The octopus thing is interesting - but I think what might be more interesting is to make it a human - PCs might at least want to approach it to see what's up. An octopus they're liable to just nuke first, and ask questions later.

Seems like taking half damage from attacks would be a reason to have a host. But I don't think its anything special beyond taking a carcass and tying strings to it to make it a puppet - it doesn't get special attacks, or more hit points or anything like that - it just provides a cushion for the blows; a meat shield if you will.

Here's something - the body the hellwasps reside inside, has a glowing necklace. Make it a magic necklace which radiates light as per the light spell. That'd make PCs want it - it's "obviously" magical.

Gregor

First Post
I really like that stuffed undead octopus idea, but I dont like the idea of the wasps controlling the corpse. I also struggle with the notion of those wasps being in an aquatic cave.

I agree with der_kluge that having a magic item or something that sheds light inside is needed to have the PCs approach a bloated stinky and lifeless octopus corpse. What if the corpse was merely a hollowed out home for a swarm of some kind, a corpulent bee's nest that when disturbed (e.g. PCs searching for the item) it stirs up the swarm living inside? The corpse never fights, but the swarm could attack out of the corpse and retreat back into it to gain concealment, cover, etc. from the PCs.

In terms of dungeon ecology, maybe a swarm of water beetles, some kind of aquatic maggot or even leeches would fit a bit better.

Just my thoughts.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Note: In area 7, give PCs a Listen check prior to the fork in the river. A DC 15 Listen check will enable them to hear the "dull roar" coming from area 8.

8. Whirlpool

Warning: There's a good chance this room could kill some or all of your party. Read this section carefully to understand it fully.

You enter the left cavern. You notice small crystals reflecting off the ceiling here. Just as you admire that, the current picks up and the gentle water turns to a dull roar. Up ahead, you see a that the chamber ends in a 40-foot diameter whirlpool!

The whirlpool:
The whirlpool is roughly 40' wide and is being caused by a Sphere of Annihilation on the floor some 50-feet below. The original creator's of the dungeon placed the Sphere here (after using it to carve out areas 12-15) to create a water equilibrium in the complex. Removing the sphere from beneath the water causes the entire complex to flood to the ceiling in about an hour.

PCs making a Spot check (DC 10, assuming light is available in the area) will notice a few wooden beams sticking out from the walls above the whirlpool. These appear to be the remains of some unfinished construction project (probably a failed attempt at retrieving the Sphere). PCs can use these wooden beams as support should they manage to secure a rope around one of them. Allow a ranged touch attack against an AC of 18 in order to hit one with a rope with some sort of loop or hook on it. A successful strike means the rope has grabbed onto the beam securely.

Allow PCs a chance to avoid the whirlpool altogether. PCs in a boat can use a variety of means to attempt to leave the chamber, including using a rope and grapple hook, or even by pulling themselves out along the walls (DC 12 strength check). Once caught in the whirlpool, the boat spins rapidly around the center. There is a 10% chance the boat will be destroyed from this process as it will be smashed against the rocks on the nearby walls, or torn apart from the speed. The boat will spin in this manner for 20 rounds (at a movement of 30') before becoming submerged, and being destroyed (assuming it hasn't already been destroyed).

PCs swimming have a much harder time - once down this fork, the Swim DCs escalate rapidly. From 50' away from the center of the whirlpool, the Swim DC starts at 15, and increases by 1 for every 5' square closer the PC becomes, up to a DC 40 near the center of the whirlpool. Furthermore, if the check result is equal to the DC, no movement either way is gained - the PC remains in his position. For every 2 points above the DC, the PC can move 5' away from their current square. PCs will spin for 10 rounds (at a movement of 40') before being submerged. Once submerged, a PC is sucked into the Sphere of Annihilation in 5 rounds. This event can be delayed if Swim checks (DC 40) are made, however. Contact with the Sphere results in immediate death.

Drowning:
A character can hold her breath underwater for a number of rounds equal to her constitution score. After this time, each round requires a DC 10 constitution check. The DC increases by 1 each round. When the character finally fails her check, they begin to drown. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp). In the following round, she drops to –1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she drowns.

PCs submerged underwater can see the Sphere of Annihilation as an inky dark sphere at the nadir of the whirlpool. Absence any sort of light source, the Spot Check DC is 30. With light, however, the DC is 20. Any character observing the sphere may attempt either a Bardic Lore or knowledge (Arcana) check to determine it's nature. Those succeeding on a DC 22 recognize the object and can attempt to mentally control it. At this point, drowning should be the least of their worries.

Controlling a Sphere of Annihilation:
A character’s ability to gain control of a sphere of annihilation (or to keep controlling one) is based on the result of a control check against DC 30 (a move action). A control check is 1d20 + character level + character Int modifier. If the check succeeds, the character can move the sphere (perhaps to bring it into contact with an enemy) as a free action.

Control of a sphere can be established from as far away as 40 feet (the character need not approach too closely). Once control is established, it must be maintained by continuing to make control checks (all DC 30) each round. For as long as a character maintains control (does not fail a check) in subsequent rounds, he can control the sphere from a distance of 40 feet + 10 feet per character level. The sphere’s speed in a round is 10 feet +5 feet for every 5 points by which the character’s control check result in that round exceeded 30.

If a control check fails, the sphere slides 10 feet in the direction of the character attempting to move it. If two or more creatures vie for control of a sphere of annihilation, the rolls are opposed. If none are successful, the sphere slips toward the one who rolled lowest.

If controlling the sphere fails, the sphere moves off the floor up 10' towards the character making the attempt. This reduces power of the whirlpool - the Swim DCs are reduced by 10 for every 10' off the floor the sphere moves.

Assuming the PCs manage to escape annihilation they will most likely find themselves on the beach just west of the whirlpool.

Solid Ground
This area is littered with the remains of past adventurers who probably escaped the whirlpool but who found themselves stuck in this cavern. The cavern is over a hundred feet deep, but unfortunately leads nowhere.

Searching the area (DC 15), reveals the following:
1 set of rusted halfplate, 2 heavy steel shields, 8 rusted longswords, 6 rusted daggers, 7 tattered boots, a masterwork cold iron warhammer (non-magical). a Ring of Swimming, and 178gp in loose change.

Last edited:

Remove ads