Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

der_kluge

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Undead spirit of a slain adventurer who wants someone to take down the Aboleth?

Ooh ooh, I know - have whatever it is be a victim of the Aboleth's Slime ability - he has to remain submerged in water or he drowns. Of course, he's also having to stay away from the aboleth lest he find him again - so he has to hide in the shallow pool in area three. Give him a divine rank so he can make some fresh water, and can summon some sort of monster to kill some bats for him to eat or something like that. Or maybe whatever god he has has given him a 1st level spell which lets him create food - but just enough to sustain himself. Such a spell would be useful indeed.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
der_kluge said:
Ooh ooh, I know - have whatever it is be a victim of the Aboleth's Slime ability - he has to remain submerged in water or he drowns. Of course, he's also having to stay away from the aboleth lest he find him again - so he has to hide in the shallow pool in area three. Give him a divine rank so he can make some fresh water, and can summon some sort of monster to kill some bats for him to eat or something like that. Or maybe whatever god he has has given him a 1st level spell which lets him create food - but just enough to sustain himself. Such a spell would be useful indeed.

Oooh I do like this

der_kluge

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
Oooh I do like this

I was thinking what might be even more cool - make it a pseudodragon - the former familiar of a slain wizard or sorcerer who met his fate at the hands of the aboleth.

If the PCs cure it of its disease, it will be happy to be the familiar for the party wizard. You could also rule that it only telepathically speaks Draconic, in which case the party wizard will pretty much be the one to communicate with it anyway.

And the wizard can get the most rare and most sought after kind of familiar - a pseudodragon. 8th level would be appropriate for that.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Cavern 3 The River

The river continues its easy flow as you go about the next bend, the river seems to widen here to about 20ft, glowworms shine high above and the cave walls glisten as water drips over the yellow tinted flowstone formations.
About 20 ft ahead you notice an opening on the left that leads to a steep terrace formation

Lurking at the base of the terrace formation is a Riptide Horror which attacks anything that comes into range grabbing with its tentacles and yelping hideously. It will strike at boats and attempt to grab any occupants. Any creature grabbed by the Riptide horror will be dragged underwater and may drown.

PCs can attempt to stay out of reach by hugging the right wall using swim checks to do so (passengers of a boat will need to abandon the boat and enter the water to do so)

Alternatively PCS can attempt to climb the terrace formation (see text box below).

Development The yelping of the Riptide Horror echoes down the caverns and may alert other creatures further along.

Cavern 3 Rimstone formation
The formation is rising terrace of rimstone dams, shallow pools into which water trickles from above. The rimstone terraces rise about 30 ft above the river level definately enough to escape the reach of the thrashing tentacles below, the formation can be climbed although the flow of water makes it very slippery.

Climb DC 25. The steepness of the terraces means that if you fall within the first 15 feet you will land in the water and will imediately suffer a bite attack from the Riptide horror

Cavern 3 The Pool
On reaching the top of the rimstone formation you discover a pool about 8 ft in diameter. The water within seems to shimmer as it flows over the uneven surface to eventually lap over the sides and down the terraces.

In the pool lives a Pseudodragon named Growf who was the former familiar of a slain sorcerer who met his fate at the hands of the aboleth. The Pseudodragon was hit by the aboleth and is suffering the effects of the slime affliction. It escaped and found its way to this pool which is high enough above the main river that the aboleth can not find it.
The Peudodragon has managed to survive in the pool by eating worms and other cave vermin. The Pseudodragon as Hide +20 whilst in the water due to its transparent skin.

Development: The Pseudodragon will communicate with other creatures it perceives as good and if cured of the slime affliction will agree to assist the party to defeat the aboleth (and may become a familiar if any of the PCs are eligible). The Pseudodragon knows about the aboleth and the skum but does not know about the Altar Pool at Room 11 (as it never made it that far).
If anyone finds the blue crystal worn by his former master Growf will fight to claim it as his own:)

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
The mention of Camzotz, pyramids and water makes me think 'Savage Tide'. And thus say, no, let's try another direction but you know I think I could use this as I've been considering a side trek, even though the chance this will be done before I need it is close to nil. :) Plus you've already come this far.

I'd like to reserve a room, but I need to look at the map closely and consider what I've read in the thread.

Remove ads