Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

der_kluge

Adventurer
Wycen said:
The mention of Camzotz, pyramids and water makes me think 'Savage Tide'. And thus say, no, let's try another direction but you know I think I could use this as I've been considering a side trek, even though the chance this will be done before I need it is close to nil. :) Plus you've already come this far.

I'd like to reserve a room, but I need to look at the map closely and consider what I've read in the thread.

A lot of what we've discussed thus far is still up in the air. I think about the only thing for certain at this point is that there will probably be a Beholder in area 10, and there's a whirlpool in area 8. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
d-k...how do you feel about psionics? Aboleths have some psionic abilities, and I was thinking that one of the Skum- "Mongo"- in area 9 might have some- nothing too powerful or flashy, just some Psionic feats (no powers). I was reading how the number & quality of servitors an Aboleth has is a mark of status in their society, and thought that perhaps this one had gotten a psionic human somewhere back in the original Skum breeding stock, and has been selectively breeding towards psionic Skum.

And I thought it was an Aboleth in area 10?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
d-k...how do you feel about psionics? Aboleths have some psionic abilities, and I was thinking that one of the Skum- "Mongo"- in area 9 might have some- nothing too powerful or flashy, just some Psionic feats (no powers). I was reading how the number & quality of servitors an Aboleth has is a mark of status in their society, and thought that perhaps this one had gotten a psionic human somewhere back in the original Skum breeding stock, and has been selectively breeding towards psionic Skum.

And I thought it was an Aboleth in area 10?

Good lord - I did say Beholder, didn't I? I meant an aboleth. No idea where that came from! Can't use Beholders even if we wanted to.

Psionics...

I hate psionics. Most polls I've seen seem to indicate that most folks don't use psionics. Personally, I won't buy any product that even mentions psionics. I tend to think that it just ends up causing too many problems, and I would suggest that if we used psionics, at the very least we create arcane versions of the creature for those folks who don't use psionics - and if you're going to the trouble to do that, then you might as well just drop the psionic part, and create just the arcane version of it anyway.

That's my opinion on the matter. Others may disagree.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
S'aright- I was just going to boost one of the Skum's Natural attacks with some Psionic Feats...

I'll take a different tack.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
S'aright- I was just going to boost one of the Skum's Natural attacks with some Psionic Feats...

I'll take a different tack.

I don't see that as being a big deal - so long as you include a brief description for those who aren't familiar with what it does. I don't think I'd have a big problem with it.

It's in the SRD after all.

I think where I'd be hesitant if we had a psion with tons of psionic attacks - I think that would be way too complicated.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
der_kluge said:
I don't see that as being a big deal

Whilst psionics are a pain, some of the Feats a very nifty (which is why I will only play Psychic Warriors - less powers to worry about and cool feats) maybe introduce the Feats only (and require the Wild Talent(?) feat to provide PP)

(?) - is that the right feat I'm thinking of?

der_kluge

Adventurer
1. Entrance Pool

Carved out of the limestone rock, this crystal clear pool of water is about 30-foot down a rocky shaft. The water exits out of the north from this shaft down a cave.

While not the only entrance into the caves, this is the most logical. Here, the entrance is wide enough that the PCs could lower a boat down safely, and ride the boat down the river into the caves.

This particular pool is deep - way deeper than it's clear waters suggest. In fact, the pool here is about 100' deep. Throughout the shaft, the pool is fed by a number of underground rivers - but the main source of water feeding this pool (and the river flowing into the cavern complex) is a Decanter of Endless Water. This decanter is chained to the ground and is locked with a rusty lock which is both locked (DC 20) and Arcane Locked. Only by removing both locks can the decanter be freed.

Words inscribed on the side of the decanter (written in Aquan) reveal the command words to be "blurdlebla" to activate the decanter's "stream" mode, "garglegurgle" to activate the decanter's "Fountain" mode and "pfwooosh" to activate the decanter's "geyser" mode. The words "slalal" makes the water saltwater. "frerer" makes the water freshwater. To activate the decanter, one must speak a type (saltwater or freshwater) and then the mode. Both words must be spoken to activate the decanter.

The decanter is currently set to "Geyser" mode, and produces a swift current that pushes away from the ground here. The Swim DC required to reach the decanter is a DC 25.

Removing the decanter actually causes the river in the entire complex to dry up after several hours. Only those areas cut off from the river and area 10 will retain any significant water. See Area #8 for details.

From here, the pool flows northward through a rocky cave some 30-feet before revealing an open sky. The water here is calm, and the party can enjoy a nice leisurely boat ride down the canyon.

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
I was thinking of doing area 13, but it looks as if at least 2 other rooms reference it. Something about a cave in and test?

My thinking is a cleric/thaumaturge, sort of a cthonic devolved man who worships the Devourer of the Deep and sends sacrifices to their doom.

Ok, this is the formatting I'll use. With room 12 I've got something to work with as well as compliment so we'll see how Mr. Summoner handles the phase spiders :]

Room # (13)

Doors

Read aloud description

Features

Encounter
Daemonic Yeth Hound

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, Evil)
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 21 (+2 Dex, +9 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4) claws 1d4
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bay, trip
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/silver, darkvision 60 ft., flight, scent smite good
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +11, Search +7, Survival +11 (+13 following tracks)*
Feats: Improved Initiative, Track
Environment: An evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium); 7-9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +3 (cohort)
A yeth hound stands 5 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs about 400 pounds.
Yeth hounds cannot speak, but understand Infernal.
Combat
Yeth hounds hunt only at night. They fear the sun and never venture out in daylight, even if their lives depend on it.
A yeth hound’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Bay (Su)
When a yeth hound howls or barks, all creatures except other evil outsiders within a 300-foot spread must succeed on a DC 11 Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting fear effect. Whether or not the save is successful, an affected creature is immune to the same hound’s bay for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Trip (Ex)
A yeth hound that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+3 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the yeth hound.
Flight (Su)
A yeth hound can cease or resume flight as a free action.
Skills
*A yeth hound has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Tactics

Notes/Treasure

Last edited:

Remove ads