Pathfinder 1E post pathfinder :(

ki11erDM

Explorer
So… what 3.x source books ( or announced 4e stuff) should I be picking up to help fill out the PoL world I am going to have to build now that Pathfinder has dropped all hope of moving to 4e?

Really just want a really nice map and some basic campaign information for me to go off of. And no FR or Eberron is not really an option and Kyuss just ended my Greyhawk world… which was suppose to be leading me up to a 4e Pathfinder campaign. I honestly have no idea what the heck I am going to do know.

sadDM : (

FitzTheRuke

Legend
ki11erDM said:
So… what 3.x source books ( or announced 4e stuff) should I be picking up to help fill out the PoL world I am going to have to build now that Pathfinder has dropped all hope of moving to 4e?

Uh... why would you pick up a 3.x book because Pathfinder's not going 4e? If you're willing to translate, why wouldn't you translate Pathfinder?

I'm a little disappointed that Paizo are going this way myself, but I don't see why any industrious DM can't have both and translate. If you don't want to do the work, buy the WotC adventures when they come out. They look pretty good.

Fitz

(contact)

Explorer
If the 4e ruleset is as much fun as it seems it will be, I might be field-stripping the Pathfinder APs for plot and story arcs and just building out the encounters myself.

One of the giant up-sides for an Adventure Path in D&D 3x was the amount of prep time you'd save, particularly after level 11 or so. On the down side, it was still a 3x high-level adventure (never. again.).

If the 4e promises of ease of use and smooth upward scaling are true, the primary obstacles to building encounters by hand will be gone, and we can just cherry-pick the Pathfinder stuff for nuggets of goodness.

I'm keeping my subscription even though I plan to switch to 4e.

Kesh

First Post
ki11erDM said:

Really just want a really nice map and some basic campaign information for me to go off of. And no FR or Eberron is not really an option and Kyuss just ended my Greyhawk world… which was suppose to be leading me up to a 4e Pathfinder campaign. I honestly have no idea what the heck I am going to do know.

sadDM : (
Paizo is putting out a hardback detailing the Pathfinder campaign setting sometime this year. So, there you go.

Edit: Amazon link

And if you don't want the "full" setting, there are specific areas like:
Darkmoon Vale
The City-state of Korvosa

Last edited:

catsclaw

First Post
I hate self-promoting, but I'd like to point out a community-run project I'm involved in: Harvestlands. We're building a campaign path for 4e, set in a darker world (where elves have disappeared, the dwarves have been overrun by duergar, and the gnomes have begun experimenting on humans).

If anyone wanted to help define an entire campaign world, this is a great opportunity. We're always looking for enthusiastic volunteers.

catsclaw

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
I'm a little disappointed that Paizo are going this way myself, but I don't see why any industrious DM can't have both and translate.
A big appeal of the adventure paths was having everything laid out for you; as I put it elsewhere, when I was 20 I was more than willing to put in a couple hours of prep work for every hour at the gaming table. After getting a job and a house and a mortgage, that's a lot less appealing. If I'm going to run a prepared adventure, I don't want to put a lot of extra work into it. I realize there are going to be fan translations of Pathfinder for 4e, but even then the thought of shuffling through disorganized and poorly edited notes strikes me as unnecessarily painful.

Pathfinder is expensive, and worth every penny. But if I simply can't use the stat blocks, and I have to figure out how to patch the plot to cover differences between 3.5 and 4e, and all the bonus equipment and feats require translation, that value starts dropping considerably.

Lackhand

First Post
I actually really dislike Golarion :(

I love the AP itself; they have plots I can hum along to (the Curse of the Crimson throne is off to an aweseome beginning) and the goblins (and their interactions with other bits of the ecology) were awesome.

But the cultures really left me cold, the religious system did nothing for me (Lamashtu, the BBEG[oddess]? So much cooler than Desna. Saranrae? I can't say that to my game group without saying some bastardized cross between Saran Wrap and Sun Ray. And "Wee Ja-- oops, wandered into the wrong kvetch there. Sorry!), and so there's not really all that much 'setting' I want to steal.

But there's a hell of a lot of set-dressing that I want. Yoink!

Edit, to be more on topic: It depends exactly what you demand from a world. Given my kvetch above, if set dressing is awesome unto you (Having some organizations sitting around, having some art and themed monsters, the actual cities, from what we've seen of them, and so on), Pathfinder is still very useful. So just get it and use it, in an edition independent fashion.

My friend and I have let our imaginations run rampant over a street map of medieval Paris. You could use that method, too. It's pretty awesome.

On the other hand, I plan on doing the Dungeoncraft thing and starting small, when I eventually run my 4e game. So... I don't know what you should buy to fix your problem, but there are a few ways to homebrew your problem away, if you have the time and inclination!

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
AFAIK, Goodman Games will be supporting 4e with their DCC line, and their DCC setting (detailed in the DCC #35 boxed set) isn't especially crunchy (ie, it's mostly rules free). Bland and sparsely detailed, yes, but rules free.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Also, Paizo said in their announcement that they're relying on their fanbase to do 4e conversions of their 3.5 stuff. By the sound of it, they'll still have it somewhere on their site (forums at least) so you don't have to do the work yourself.

Orcus

First Post
Maybe you will be interested in our 4th Edition Iron Tower Adventure Path, to be published through Paizo. That's right. Adventure Path. 4E.

It will be a continuation of what you will get a glimpse of in our free 4E pdf intro adventure "Winter's Tomb."

It will have a setting larger than that from Shackled City. It wont be a full world. Buy you'll be able to run a campaign in it.

Frozen wastes.
Ancient frost giant ruins.
Demonic gnolls.
Feral elves.
An aquirable stronghold for the PCs.
An epic weapon with a legendary secret.
Descent into the underdark.
Travel to the elemental planes of fire and ice.
And to the very gates of Hell itself.

Sound good?

Oh, and if you dont think we can do old school first edition feel with 4e, think again. I guarantee it. :)

I am so geeked to support 4E, I can't even tell you... And just wait till you see who is going to be helping me with this.

Remove ads