EN World Short Story Smackdown - FINAL: Berandor vs Piratecat - The Judgment Is In!

Starman

Adventurer
Berandor said:
First of all, thanks to awayfarer for making this a nailbiter. Also, this may be the first time maldur gave a judgement to my story, so huzzah!

Is that American time?

Sunday afternoon Sidney time would be sunday morning German time... I guess that would be sort of alright with me (though Sunday afternoon American time would be better :))

So either way, Sunday afternoon and I'll make do.

Yup, American. So, Sunday afternoon American then?

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
And best of luck in your upcoming match versus Piratecat, he's a tough competitor but you're from the New Mexico cabal so I'm sure he's shaking in his Piratepussy boots as we type. A little sabre rattling and smacktalk over the weekend should have him at your mercy by the time the pictures are posted. ;)

Actually I'm from Buffalo, but that being the home of the NHL's Sabres, sabre-rattling shouldn't be too much of a problem. And yes, I'm fully aware of Piratecat's prowess! After RangerWickett in Round 1 and PirateCat in Round 2, at this rate, if I make it to Round 3 I'll be going against a resurrected Charles Dickens! But I'm just having fun. I've seen these contests over the years and enjoyed the stories (and the smack-talk), but not having entered, I was never really up on the exact rules etc. I'm glad I entered this time. Totally worth it.

Starman

Adventurer
Ycore Rixle said:
But I'm just having fun. I've seen these contests over the years and enjoyed the stories (and the smack-talk), but not having entered, I was never really up on the exact rules etc. I'm glad I entered this time. Totally worth it.

I feel the same way. I mean I am going to feel bad when a complete rookie wipes the floor with everyone, but, you know, sometimes the old guard needs to be swept away to make way for the new.

BSF

Explorer
Starman said:
I feel the same way. I mean I am going to feel bad when a complete rookie wipes the floor with everyone, but, you know, sometimes the old guard needs to be swept away to make way for the new.

Abso-frickin-lutely!

That is one of the great things about these writing contests. It is possible for a "rookie" to win. The folks that have competed several times have a lot of practice, and practice definitely helps! But a strong competitor can come out of anywhere.

Ycore Rixle said:
Actually I'm from Buffalo, but that being the home of the NHL's Sabres, sabre-rattling shouldn't be too much of a problem. And yes, I'm fully aware of Piratecat's prowess! After RangerWickett in Round 1 and PirateCat in Round 2, at this rate, if I make it to Round 3 I'll be going against a resurrected Charles Dickens! But I'm just having fun. I've seen these contests over the years and enjoyed the stories (and the smack-talk), but not having entered, I was never really up on the exact rules etc. I'm glad I entered this time. Totally worth it.

Dammit, stop complimenting me. You're doing the smack talk all wrong, and I haven't even had a chance to give you any feedback. Stupid work week. (I will actually read and comment on these stories tonight. My fellow writers deserve the feedback.)

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
If you still need confirmation, sunday afternoon US time (whichever) would be fine with me.

And yes, in CDM, a rookie can win virtually enytime. Just not, you know, this time.

Starman

Adventurer
Berandor said:
And yes, in CDM, a rookie can win virtually enytime. Just not, you know, this time.

Well, it will be hard saying goodbye to Ycore Rixle as he has done an outstanding job, but we don't want the greenhorns getting too big a head on their shoulders just yet, not at least until they've got a few CDM seasons under their belts anyway.

Round Two - Match Nine
Dlsharrock vs. Eeralai

You have 72 hours from this post to submit your entries. Best of luck from the judges!

Attachments

• R2 - M9 - Image 1.jpg
    R2 - M9 - Image 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 123
  • R2 - M9 - Image 2.jpg
    R2 - M9 - Image 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 115
  • R2 - M9 - Image 3.jpg
    R2 - M9 - Image 3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 121
  • R2 - M9 - Image 4.jpg
    R2 - M9 - Image 4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 122

madwabbit

First Post
Thanks to all the judges for the critiques and good words of encouragement -- as opposed to running far far away from the humiliation of not finishing my story, I'm now more encouraged than ever to follow this contest to its end, and hopefully try and prove myself in the next. :)

I need to start early and keep the scope a bit smaller next time, I think. ;)

Remove ads