EN World Short Story Smackdown - FINAL: Berandor vs Piratecat - The Judgment Is In!

AND SO IT BEGINS
Welcome everyone to perhaps one of the most eagerly anticipated Short Story Smackdowns/Ceramic DMs of all time. We have sixteen writers to start things off with a plethora of former championship winners amongst a hotly contested field. Not only has one of the largest and talented fields been assembled, but we have also stepped back in time to gain the assistance of some legendary judges in both Arwink and Maldur. This is a truly spectacular effort from all concerned and on behalf of the judging team, I wish you all the best of luck!

THE RULES OF PLAY

1. A match consists of two competitors who will be given a set of pictures (four images in the early rounds ascending to six in the final), from which they are to put together a short story. The pictures may be used in any order, but all pictures are to be meaningfully used. As a courtesy to the judges and others reading your entry, it is generally polite to include a footnote or some such to indicate where in your story a picture has been used. A story can be any length but if you are going to go over 5,000 words, it better be worth it.

2. Your match will start at a specified and agreed upon time. From this point, you will have 72 hours to assemble your masterpiece. It is suggested you write your entry in a separate word processor and then copy it directly into your post. Once posted, you CANNOT edit your entry - an edited entry generally results in disqualification. Remember though, it is expected that there will be mistakes of some nature or another in any entry. Don't stress, everyone here who has competed can most likely recall some form of blundering and foolish mistake that has been cast for all to see in the harshest light; it goes with the territory. Suck it up and don't give in to the temptation to edit your post.

3. And the most important rule of all, please submit something, even if it is the silliest bunch of incomplete tripe you have ever put together. To pike out and not submit is the worst disrespect you can give to your competitors and the judges. If you can just put forward something, I can guarantee you will have the sympathy, support and respect of everyone here. No one will EVER judge you harshly for submitting something, even if it really is terrible.

4. And a quick edited rule, if the site is down and you need to post your entry, you can send it to my email directly at samphipps at optusnet.com.au
I will make sure all judges receive this and will also confirm to the competitor that all is cool. Also, as someone has already mentioned, maybe write my email down offline somewhere as it is most likely not going to do you much good here if you can't access the site.

THE MATCHES

ROUND ONE

Match 1 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
1. FickleGM - Submitted
2. Dlsharrock - Submitted
Judgment

Match 2 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
3. Thorod Ashstaff - Submitted
4. Eeralai - Submitted
Judgment

Match 3 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
5. Starman - Submitted
6. Madwabbit - Submitted Late
Judgment

Match 4 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
7. Berandor - Submitted
8. Awayfarer - Submitted
Judgment

Match 5 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
9. Piratecat - Submitted
10. Orchid Blossom - Submitted
Judgment

Match 6 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
11. Ycore Rixle - Submitted
12. RangerWickett - Submitted
Judgment

Match 7 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
13. Rodrigo Istalindir - Submitted
14. tadk - Submitted
Judgment

Match 8 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
15. Mythago - Submitted
16. maxfieldjadenfox - Submitted
Judgment

ROUND TWO

Match 9 - Stories Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
Dlsharrock
Eeralai
Judgment

Match 10 - Stories Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
Starman
Berandor
Judgment

Match 11 - Stories Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
Piratecat
Ycore Rixle
Judgment

Match 12 - Stories Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
Rodrigo Istalindir
Mythago
Judgment

ROUND THREE

Match 13 - Stories Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
Dlsharrock
Berandor
Judgment

Match 14 - Stories Posted - Judgment Posted
Pictures
Piratecat
Rodrigo Istalindir
Judgment

ROUND FOUR - FINAL

Final - Match 15 - Pictures Posted - Judgment Posted - We Have a Winner!
Pictures
Berandor
Piratecat Part One Part Two
Judgment

ALTERNATE
A. Tashtego

JUDGES
Arwink
Herremann the Wise
Maldur

The judges will do their very best to have judgments back within 48 hours if not sooner. I intend to have this competition complete in the shortest time span possible.

And finally, I shall finish wishing everyone the best of luck as well as giving a small piece of advice. I have found that the best entries tend to be the most daring ones. Essentially, don't play this game conservatively.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
Well, I hope I don't make madwabbit too mad when I crush him. I'd hate to see him become the madwaaaaahbbit.

I'm ready to go whenever. A Sunday evening start would be great.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Herremann the Wise said:
9. Piratecat
10. Orchid Blossom

This can only end in tears! Even if I win, then there's no more Piratecat story goodness! Why do the gods hate me??

My only requests are to not have my story due on Friday, and to not have it posted in the morning. I can't check EnWorld from work, so if it's posted in the morning I won't see it until after 5 o'clock. (Unless it's posted before 8 am est).

tadk

Explorer
Well

Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Ready when you are. Any time is good for me.

This season is double elimination right?

Rodrigo where do I send your Food Poison Gram to? I just want to make sure it arrives in time for you to 'Enjoy' my gift. :bmelee:

I am as free as ever when ever

Remove ads