• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkness Under Cold Stones

Land Outcast

Explorer
RG
OOC

The silence covering the room -save the sporadic crackling from the fire- is broken by the sounds of feet approaching.

The door to the left of the fireplace opens and a -not beautiful, but definetely pretty- lithe human woman with red long hair enters the room in a rush, with a calmer expression than her actions would suggest.

She surveys the room and fixes her gaze upon the two occupants and closes the door behind herself
"he'll be better tomorrow morning... he'll have to be better" she declares while pointing at the nigh-frozen man. She walks until she is between the beds and takes seat on a small bench, as if expecting something... "so you are a bounty hunter... and you, for your equipment you sure aren't far from the same... you've just gotten a reward, your lives were saved, now you might choose to repay the aid of the Brotherhood of the Flame..."

The door opens again, but this time instead comes a young man -with the same fiery red hair- into the room, and, something that didn't happen last time, a howling gust of gelid wind enters with the figures following this man (in the darkness of the corridor, contrasting with the well-lit room)...

"You are arrived, I knew you would find... help" she finds it difficult to allow this last word to come out as a towering humanoid enters the room, an orc covered with snow and animal skins... more snow than skins. He emanates power with his presence...

And from the darkness follows wiry man of and white hair, with his face covered with intrincated tatoos... Even tough he doesn't seem to be carrying the necesary protection, seems undaunted by the cold, and his step is firm

"I'm Danya" The woman says, with a nod at the newcomers.
The door closes. The woman lowers her head, somehow worried, it becomes apparent that she isn't a child.
"Wyvern's Nest needs your help"

[sblock=Belund, Thoma, and Ivan]Danya asked Ivan to search for any help he knew possible... all brothers and sisters of the flame woke up cold penetrating to their bones one morning. That same midday Ivan was sent for help.

Balund and his constant speech of spirits was instantly evoked by Ivan. He knew where to find Balund, surely he is the only one to remember that man... Ivan was one of the few who wasn't afraid of Balund's spirits, given his own propensity for mysticism. However, with Balund gone into the wilderness for so long... Balund should show up... but it's been years...

After the first shock when Ivan arrived searching for Balund, you agreed to help whatever was going on, if not fore something else, out of curiosity (And worry, strange things had been happening). He spoke about problems with food... about humanoids or beasts who probably attacked the much-needed monthly supply of food for the town... and some comment about omens that needed of Balund's walk through the spirit wold.[/sblock]

[sblock=Belund]When you enter the room you suddenly see the great fire quenched, accompanied with a cold snap... then it returns to it's healthy burning[/sblock]

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Ivan bows deeply in greetings to his mentor, but stands aside as she introduces herself, allowing his new comrades to introduces themselves. He moves to a wall of the room and stands quietly, glancing towards the other men in the room, to see how they have fared in his absence.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Shoon leaps to his feet at the sight of the Orc, and silently interposes himself between said Orc and the bed Sion is sleeping in. Watching and listening to the strange discourse with a concerned look on his face, and the healer's previous words about the the other patient momentarily forgotten.

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
Showing a unaffected attitude, the woman rises from her seat to stand beside the fire, the flames play over her pale skin... "As Ivan surely has told you, we have been having problems with the monthly food supply. It is one week late... Of course Ivan hasn't told you" -looking at the men on both beds- "but now you know it" Surely this heler behaves with as much freedom on her speech as she wants

"Apparently a severe storm delayed the departure of the wagon... such the Brothers at the city communicated to us. And the road, which is bad enough without storms, with fallen trees and what have you would make it easy prey to the humanoids reported to be mongering the sorroundings..."
She adds another piece of wood to the fire
"People are almost starving... know why I didn't bring you back to warmth yet?
Because people are weak, and more than one has fainted so there go my gifts from the flame... we don't have yet any sickness spread, but it's just a matter of time..."

Now she looks at your faces, examining every gesture... she remains silent, awaiting the reactions of those reunited there.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Balund crouches like an animal as he enters the room, his keen eyes taking in his surroundings. He stares wide eyed at the fire for several moments, and then, with the shake of his head, rises back to a standing position. He seems oblivious to the words being spoken around him, and of the people who occupy the room. Its almost as if he is hearing something else completely, something that nobody else can hear.

Turning to look into the face Danya, the shaman speaks in low tones that carry the hint of untapped power within them. "I am Balund. What is it that you ask of us?"

Scotley

Hero
Kragor

Still somewhat confused, Kragor tries to clear his head and sit up, trying to judge how able he might be. "I thank you for healing me. I would be happy to aid you in any way that I can." Inside he thinks of Largos sipping wine punch under a palm tree. "I should have gone south..." he mumbles under his breath.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Shoon remains silent throughout Danya's explanation, watching the orc. These people need help, it seems, and he certainly owes them Sion's life if not his own. He waits patiently for the others to finish speaking before he says in a soft voice; "Lady Danya, if you are in need of aid I shall give it." As it becomes clear that this orc is not going to try to eat him or Sion he returns to his seat next to the bed.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Danya in turn looks at Balund in the eye, with respect rather than defiance.
A spark is sensed beyond her emerald eyes.

"It will sound like guard duty, but we need you to go for the wagon and escolt it safely as fast as possible... Probably some days from here yet, I must remain here at the ready for the people, as must most of the acolytes" She looks at Ivan, smiling.

Now she turns to look at the fire "I'm glad of your positive disposition, tomorrow first flame I will do what I can to bring you back to your feet... Altough I will rise you, know that you might have to fend off orcs, and they aren't easy game for most travelers"

"In fact, most travelers are easy game for them... the wagon is usually sent with a small contingent of guards... It's just that..." again she looks at Ivan, this time worry is hinted again "there have been... signs of something going wrong"

"The two who owe to the flame have agreed upon it. Say Balund of the calm blaze, will you and your companion?"

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Land Outcast said:
"The two who owe to the flame have agreed upon it. Say Balund of the calm blaze, will you and your companion?"

Balund turns to regard Thoma for a few moments, and then turns back to gaze at Danya. "The mighty Serpent has brought us here for a reason, clouded as that purpose may be. It seems that we must offer aid in this matter, to further tread the path that the spirits have laid before us."

Voadam

Legend
Land Outcast said:
Now she turns to look at the fire "I'm glad of your positive disposition, tomorrow first flame I will do what I can to bring you back to your feet... Altough I will rise you, know that you might have to fend off orcs, and they aren't easy game for most travelers"

"In fact, most travelers are easy game for them... the wagon is usually sent with a small contingent of guards... It's just that..." again she looks at Ivan, this time worry is hinted again "there have been... signs of something going wrong"

The orc's lips pull back showing large tusk and fanglike teeth, though whether in a smile or snarl is not entirely clear. He speaks in the common tongue of man, though the words do not come naturally "No. Orcs are no easy game. Others too. Beasts and not beasts. We saw wolf of fire. Spirits are in land. I am named Thoma Griffith, I stand with Balund Spiritwalker. He say we help, my sword help."

Remove ads