Warlord archetype in CHAINMAIL

Doug McCrae

Legend
Good job. I find that generally speaking any time anyone complains about X being in 3e or 4e you can find X somewhere in OD&D or 1e too.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Fifth Element said:
I know what Morale used to be. My point is, a Hero giving a bonus to his allies' Morale is an example of a martial leader-type ability.

(And BTW, the hit points aren't going to be recovered "magically", as you suggest. See the "second wind" ability in SWSE.)

So why not fold this ability into the Fighter class or make such an ability into a feat?

an_idol_mind said:
Not being snide or anything here, but wouldn't this discussion be better fit for the 4th edition forum?
Why would a discussion about OD&D go in the 4E forum?

I know some posters are trying to make this into a 4E thread, but that was not the intent. It applies to more than just 4E.

Delta

First Post
Fifth Element said:
I know what Morale used to be. My point is, a Hero giving a bonus to his allies' Morale is an example of a martial leader-type ability.

Again, you're smooshing two different kinds of "Morale" together and acting like they're the same thing. A fighter-type giving back hit points by just being in the same area has no precedent in pre-2005 D&D. 'Nuff said.

Delta said:
Again, you're smooshing two different kinds of "Morale" together and acting like they're the same thing. A fighter-type giving back hit points by just being in the same area has no precedent in pre-2005 D&D. 'Nuff said.
No, I'm not referring to any warlord ability in particular. The recovery of hit points will not be the warlord's only ability, perhaps not even their defining ability.

I'm merely pointing out the the martial leader archetype existed in the game long ago. No comment on specific abilities.

Edit: Check the OP. No mention of HP anywhere. Just the observation that the Morale bonus ability makes it a martial leader, in the 4E sense.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Well, if one accepts D&D is a supplement to Chainmail... and then plays D&D in a mass battle, then these abilities are capable by pretty much every class. Hero and Superhero are levels that are more commonly seen as THAC0 or BAB today.

I think Fighting-men even start the game at Hero+0, but I don't have the books in front of me.

EDIT: 'course you may not be a Hero or SuperHero depending on your level & class, so those powers may or may not be available.

howandwhy99 said:
Well, if one accepts D&D is a supplement to Chainmail... and then plays D&D in a mass battle, then these abilities are capable by pretty much every class. Hero and Superhero are levels that are more commonly seen as THAC0 or BAB today.
No, I think only the hero, superhero and wizard are able of giving a Morale bonus. It's a specific mechanical effect.

howandwhy99 said:
I think Fighting-men even start the game at Hero+0, but I don't have the books in front of me.
No, they start as Man+1. A 4th level Fighting Man is a Hero (equal to 4 men).

(For the uninitiated, each Man gets 1d6 of 'fighting capability'. "Man+1" means 1d6+1. A Hero gets 4d6.)

Remove ads