• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord archetype in CHAINMAIL

I was just reading through the Fantasy Supplement for CHAINMAIL (which as we know was the impetus for the development of D&D) for the first time. I notice that the "Hero" type has the ability to give his allies a bonus to their Morale.

In other words, it's a primitive version of the martial leader: the Warlord.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Fifth Element said:
I was just reading through the Fantasy Supplement for CHAINMAIL (which as we know was the impetus for the development of D&D) for the first time. I notice that the "Hero" type has the ability to give his allies a bonus to their Morale.

In other words, it's a primitive version of the martial leader: the Warlord.

Amusing.

Now, let's talk about the fact that such a good idea has been ignored for so many years ...

I am not (only) ironic here. There must have been reasons for this. I suspect this is due to so many adventures where the only interaction is kill or be killed, and no real rules for escapes in the "official" books.

so having a leader is not much use, since nobody will flee anyways.

But really, my point is mainly that so many people complain the Warlord is not archetypal. This finding disproves that. The archetype was present in the same source used for original D&D.

Delta

First Post
This is mostly a trick via redefinition of "Morale". In 1E Morale rules, for example, (1E DMG p. 67), loss of the leader caused morale checks for all the underlings in a group. The leader could be anyone (fighter, cleric, wizard, whatever). But morale checks to determine reaction (running away) are not the same thing as bonuses to hit, or worse, magically reappearing hit points for free.

I know what Morale used to be. My point is, a Hero giving a bonus to his allies' Morale is an example of a martial leader-type ability.

(And BTW, the hit points aren't going to be recovered "magically", as you suggest. See the "second wind" ability in SWSE.)

If one accepts that hit points are not merely physical toughness (which I do), but also factors like luck, skill, mental state, fighting spirit, etc., then the idea that a fighter could "heal" his comrades by doing well in battle (i.e. cleaving some enemy skulls) is not beyond the pale, IMO. Such "healing" would be minimal, IMO, but it's not unthinkable, if you accept that abstract hit points include the state of your "fighting spirit." And I agree that the idea of a "leader-type" that influences morale is present in the roots of D&D (personally, I find morale to be a huge factor in many combats, and Cha/leadership to be an important function of the Fighting Man archetype).

Having said that, don't expect me to go all 4E fan-boy, or anything... :lol: I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Remove ads