Servants of the Twilight King (full for now)

I'm posting this to gauge interest for an online pbp that will let me try out a bunch of the UA variant rules. It is set in a fantasy wortld in decline; the Gods have abandoned the land, the older races are dead and gone, and magic itself has become corrupt. Influences include Cook's The Black Company, Warhammer FRPG, Moorcock's Elric Stories, and of course Lovecraft. The game is focused on the City of Illmyre, Capital of the Empire, and seat of the Twilight King, the Emperor Auberic XXVII.

Players are agents in the employ of the Emperor, working with his tacit approval, but without his recognition. The city is a turbulent place, full of corruption and sedition, and the Empire needs your skills. Players should come up with a background that puts them working for the Emperor.

Below are the crunchy bits for chargen. Feel free to give me feedback, nothing is 100% set in stone. I'm looking for 4 players and a couple of alternates. Posting hopefully once a day. Please don't apply if you can't commit to a regular posting schedule (but feel free to comment); I've seen too many games fizzle before they start and want this to succeed. The play style will probably tend to the investigative at the beginning.

I'll drop more campaign info as we go along.
As always, don't hesitate to ask any questions; I'm sure I left stuff out.
:)

Last edited:

Chargen info

Player Character Info:
3.5 Ed, with some UA modifications. See below for more details.
Characters start at the beginning of third level.
Abilities: 28 Point Buy. If you prefer, I will roll for you (4d6, drop low roll).

Races: Most of the demi-human races are sadly no longer with us. Players can choose to be Human, as per phb, or a Changeling, as per Eberron CS. Alternatively, a player can choose to be a human with an Imperial bloodline: Standard human traits, with +2 Cha, -2 Wis.

Classes: No penalties for multiclassing.

Bard, Fighter, and Rogue:
Fine as written.

Barbarian:
Undecided. Probably ok, but if you want to play one, convince me with a good concept.

Ranger:
Use Urban Ranger variant from UA.

Clerics, Druids, Monks, and Paladins:
Not Appropriate, so none of these.

Sorcerers, and Wizards:
There are no Divine spells. All spells are arcane spells, and ALL spells, both divine and arcane, are available to Sorcerers and Wizards. Sorcs and Wizzes, however, are limited in which schools they can choose from. Sorcerers have access to the following schools: Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, and Transmutation. Wizards have access to the following schools: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, and Necromancy.

Furthermore, magic is outlawed in the city of Illmyre, and thus training and arcane knowledge is harder to come by. To emulate this, all spellcasters must be multiclassed with a non spellcasting class, and spellcasting levels cannot exceed levels in the non spellcasting class. Thus So1/Ro2 is ok, So2/Ro1 is not.

We will be using the spell point variant rules from UA.

Taking a level of So or Wi exposes the character to the possibility of taint. On taking the level, make a fort save Dc 10 + caster level or gain a point. I'll roll for starting levels.

HP: Max at 1st level, avg for other levels. We will use the VP/WP variant rules.
Wealth: 2,500 gp. Run magic items by me for approval.
Alignment: No alignment, we’re beyond good and evil, baby! We will use the UA Taint rules (as opposed to the Mr. Show taint rules) as an alternative.
Sanity: We will use the UA sanity rules.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hmm... I have some definite interest in this. I'm a big fan of Call of Cthulhu. Also, because it would be fun and interesting, could I ask that you roll my stats for me in order, and I'll see what I'll become? :)

Blue_Genie

First Post
Howdy,
Although I've never participate in a PBP game on these boards, this sounds like an interesting setting and I'd love to participate.

Here's my idea for a character. Feel free to junk any parts of this which don't fit into the campaign.

Rorgun of Wrath Alley was born in the slums of the capital city, the son of a prostitute and an unknown father. At an early age his mother sold him to a local crime syndicate/thieves' guild, unable to care for him anymore. He has a pretty hard childhood after that, but enjoys the camraderie of the other children on the streets. When Rorgun is in his teens, his custodians notice the boy showing promise for the magical arts and apprentice him to Meloth the Tracker, a bounty hunter working for the syndicate. Meloth teaches him the basics of shadowing, tracking and divination magic. During his appreticeship, Meloth becomes more and more jealous of the young man's abilities. The fear grows into full paranoia over the years, and fully blossoms forth during Rorgun's final appreticeship gauntlet, when Meloth betrays him to the authorities.

Rorgun barely escapes with his life and flees the city, hiding out in neighboring communities. Terrified of being betrayed again, Rorgun commits himself to the study of divination magic, probing into men's souls to discover if they mean him harm. After a few months he begins to realize that he no longer feels safe unless he casts at least one divination spell a day. Magic has become an addiction. He revels in the rush of gaining intimate knowledge of strangers, and begins to make a name for himself as an information broker.

So that's a basic sketch. In terms of stats, I was thinking about either a Rog1/Div2 or Rgr1/Div2, or Rog2/Div1 or Rgr2/Div1.

Blue

Kangaxx

First Post
I like the idea of a darker campaign world. Are you allowing other UA variants? I've wanted to try making a thug/ battle sorc, or maybe a bardic sage.

I also would like to try having you roll up my stats and going from there. Should be fun. :eek:

Trust your fate to the hands of the dead gods eh? Lesee... knit, purl, snip!

16, 14, 11, 10, 12, 11.

So strong and tough, and a bit more perceptive than usual.
:)

Edit: Whoops, mistyped.

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Hmm... I have some definite interest in this. I'm a big fan of Call of Cthulhu. Also, because it would be fun and interesting, could I ask that you roll my stats for me in order, and I'll see what I'll become? :)

Last edited:

Blue_Genie said:
So that's a basic sketch. In terms of stats, I was thinking about either a Rog1/Div2 or Rgr1/Div2, or Rog2/Div1 or Rgr2/Div1.

Sounds good... either Rog2/Div1 or Rgr2/Div1 would work, check the rules for magety types.

Remember we're using the urban ranger variant, if that makes a difference in your choice, and also to focus as diviner, he would have to give up schools from those allowed to wizards (div, abj, con, nec).

BTW your background makes you a good candidate for the imperial bloodline, if you choose. He could easily be the bastard child of some noble.

Last edited:

Kangaxx said:
I like the idea of a darker campaign world. Are you allowing other UA variants? I've wanted to try making a thug/ battle sorc, or maybe a bardic sage.

I also would like to try having you roll up my stats and going from there. Should be fun. :eek:

Lemme read up on those variant classes before I make the call.

Your stats:

13, 14, 16, 9, 12, 12.

Edit: Thug: sounds great, perfect fit. Should've added it meself.
Bardic sage: sounds fine, but we've already got a diviner, so it may be redundant. Your choice though.
Battle Sorcerer: Sure, sounds ok.

All you spellcasters note that magic is illegal and highly suspicious. While the Emperor will allow its use in his service, he will not protect you from any repurcussions from it. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads