[Eberron] Beneath the Ice!

nonamazing

Explorer
Here is the official in-character thread for 'Beneath the Ice', an old-school style dungeon crawl set in the world of Eberron. (The game will begin on Monday, December 27th.)

* The players:

Barkey, playing Barandurr Genlom Steelsing, a Dwarven Cleric of Onatar, Level 5
Krug, playing Mong, a Shifter Ranger/Fighter, Level 3/2
Doomhawk, playing Toshanharath, a Kalashtar Psychic Warrior, Level 5
Sorrow the Man Bear, playing Norderil "Smarttounge" Pitiken, a Gnomish Rogue, Level 5
Speed-Stick, playing Karthak d'Lyrandar, a Half-Elven Storm Wizard, Level 5
Ferrix, playing Floe Glitterice, an Uldra Druid, Level 4

* Other expedition members (alternate players):

Slippshade, playing Cyril Vadallia, an Elven Bard/Fighter, Level 3/2

* Some assorted minor and major non-payer characters:

Quentin Voddlegrok, addled Gnomish scholar, de facto expedition leader, expert 2
Captain Gravan, seemingly sinister ship's commander, expert 3/rogue 1
The crew of the Whale's Carcass, motley bunch of rejects, mostly all commoner 1
Thugrun Blackice, deceased Dwarf from a distant land
Wassen d'Lyrandar, naval general, amiable uncle to Karthak and friend to Toshanharath, aristocrat 5
Lord Boroman ir'Dayne, famed explorer and nobleman, aristocrat 2/expert 3
Esravash d'Lyrandar, scheming matriarch of House Lyrandar, (class and level = secret)

Animal companions/Familiars, etc.

Rast, reptile with remarkable senses, Mong's companion
the Emerald Lion, brave psicrystal, Toshanharath's companion
Like Snow Falling, cool snow leopard, Floe's companion

A few quick words about formatting:

All posts will be considered to be in character unless noted otherwise. All speech should be in "quotation marks" and all thoughts should be italicized. You may use colors, if you wish, just make sure that you choose a color that will be fairly easy to read off a black background.

If your characters run across something in a foreign language, I will note it like this: [Language] - "spoiler text" (The spoiler text will be invisible unless highlighted, of course. Any characters who speak the appropriate language or are under the effects of an appropriate spell may highlight and read the text--others should ignore it.) Use the same technique if you wish to have your character say something in any language other than Common.

I'll also use spoiler text for messages that are intended for one or two characters only, generally in relation to skill checks. Same format as the language thing: [Character] - "spoiler text"

Here's some examples:

The frost giant looks at you, grimaces, and says [Giant] -
"Ye've no place in my lands, small warm ones! Leave now, a'fore I commences pummelling!"

The strange purple lightning dances up and down the sail lines, terrifying the crew. [Karthak] -
"Knowledge (arcana): you believe that the lightning is, in fact, a harmless non-magical display."

nonamazing

Explorer
One week out...

It has been several days since you left Stormhome behind. Your journey has been enjoyable, albeit uneventful. The Whale's Carcass may not look like much, but she sails well, and only the overly sensitive Voddlegrok has had any problems whatsoever with seasickness.

The ship is also surprisingly comfortable, most of the cargo space having been converted into simple--although very small--private cabins for each of you. Captain Gravan and his crew do their best to stay out of your way, for the most part.

On the morning of your seventh day out, Gravan seems unusually nervous. A thick, clinging fog came up overnight, making sailing difficult and causing the normally high-spirited crew to mutter and complain endlessly. The ship's mood has become oppressive and gloomy.

Around noon, Gravan suddenly raises the alarm. "All hands to deck! Black sails to the south! Someone wake up Voddlegrok's men!"

As you all begin to gather on deck, the crew running back and forth frantically, Gravan motions you over to the rear of the ship. Through the fog, you can just make out the dim outline of a small, dark ship. "She's a quick one--making good time. Smaller and faster than us, so we've got no chance to get away. If we'd spotted them earlier, maybe things would have been different, but this blasted fog..." Gravan shakes his head sadly. "She'll be on us in two, maybe three minutes. Get yourselves ready for a fight."

"Um, I am terribly sorry to interrupt you, um, captain," says Voddlegrok, nervously, "b-but do we really, um, have any reason to assume these people are hostile? Perhaps they're just trying to, um, catch up to us to deliever an urgent message, mmm?"

"Aye, perhaps that's true. But I wouldn't be betting on it. In any case, it's best to be prepared for the worse. I've been boarded before, and it's not a pretty experience." Gravan turns to the rest of you. "Like as not, they'll come up on the port side. And we've not got much time to prepare, so find yourselves a spot and get ready to fight for your lives." Gravan turns away from you as he begins issuing commands to his crew.​

Below, you'll find a crude map of the Whale's Carcass, upper deck. There are cabins and cargo space below, and three tall sails that stretch up above (where there is also a small crow's nest). The small 'c's on the map represent random crew members, while the capital letters indcate the placement of an NPC or PC. Each space represents a five-foot square.

It looks like you have about two minutes before the other ship catches up to you. Their intentions are unclear.

[Karthak] -
You notice that the ship is made of Soarwood, and seems to be a House Lyrandar design. A very expensive ship.

[Mong] -
Knowledge (nature): You suspect that this fog is unnatural in origin.

[Toshanharath] -
Your psicrystal has become very excited. It is urging you to leap off the ship, swim over to the other ship, climb aboard it, and defeat the oposing crew single handed.

[SBLOCK]
Code:
....../\....
...../cc\...
\.../V...\..
.\..|M||N|..
..\.|....|..
..|.|o..c|..
o.---o||.|..
..|.|.||.|..
L.|.|.||K|..
o.---oWBG|..
..|.|o.T.|..
../.|....|..
./..\.||./..
/....\cc/...
......\/....

Fireball:

...../cc\...
\.../V...\..
.\..|M||N|..
..\.|....|..
..**|o..c|..
o****o||.|..
******||.|..
*******|K|..
*******BG|..
******.T.|..
.****....|..
./**\.||./..
/....\cc/...
......\/....
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Mong shouts "This fog is not natural. May be made by magic. Be wary!" She readies her bow and nocks an arrow. She finds whatever she can, squatting behind a mast or the sides of the ship. "Deliver a message? Perhaps it would be as likely they wish to sell us meat pies?" she says sarcastically. "So what happened the last time you were boarded?" she asks. Her hair billows in the sea wind, and her eyes are blazing with eagerness at the coming combat. I was so thirsting for a combat, Rast. Sick of shooting arrows into rotten fruit and seabirds. She thinks to herself.

Last edited:

Barkey

First Post
Groggily Barandurr arrives on deck, likely, if anyone takes notice, recovering from a night of drinking. Dressed in his simple tunic emblazoned with the symbol of Onatar on the breast and a simple pair of breeches, he shouts up at Gravan, "Listen boyo, muh gut tells me that it may be that young Boroman that tried to stop us befure, les not give him a chance to board us."
"Do ye be havin a whalin spear, or mebbe somethin able to pearce the side of the boat lad? Methinks we should make shart wurk of them, because they be a smaller ship.
He begins to meander around on deck, moving with as much quickness as a hungover dwarf can.

Speed-Stick

First Post
Prepared Spells - 0- Detect Magic (x2), Light, Read Magic, Ray of Frost (d)
1- Magic Missles, Sheild, Mage Armor, Alarm, Obscuring Mist (D)
2- Blur, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray, Gust of Wind (D)
3- Fireball, Haste, Lightning Bolt (D)

Turning to the Captain, Karthak speaks "Its a very nice ship. Soarwood. It looks to be designed by my House. I suppose one can't be too carefull though" With that Karthak begins casting spells

Casting Mage Armor, and Sheild

nonamazing

Explorer
"The last time I was boarded was by the Aundair Royal Navy, which turned out well, as far as those things go. They threw all my cargo overboard and threw me and my crew into the brig. The naval General who oversaw my trial decreed that I'd never again be allowed to dock in Stormhome as long as my ship bore any weapons." Gravan grins. "They thought I might have been inclined toward piracy, you see. Anyway, that should answer your question as well, Barandurr. I'm not allowed to set sail with anything more dangeroous than a dagger, these days." Gravan ties off one of the sails as he makes his way toward the front of the ship. "And on a more personal note, my Dwarven friend, exactly where have you been hiding your ale? I've kept an eye on the casks you had stored in the hold, and I know for a fact neither of them has been tapped yet. Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with you drinkin' aboard my ship--I just wish you'd offered your captain a little, eh?"

Voddlegrok crowds closer to Karthak. "Oh! It's a Lyrandar ship, mmm? Well, that's probably good news, isn't it?"

Gravan shakes his head in frustration. "Any fool can buy one of those, providing they've got enough money. All we know for sure is that whoever is after us is either very rich or very good boat thieves."

The dark ship creeps closer. You can see now that it is about as wide as your ship, but only two-thirds as long, and rides very low in the water. The thick fog makes it very difficult to make out any fine details.

Mong, having taken a good position beside the rear mast, you now have cover relative to the approaching ship.

Barandurr, due to your hangover, you take a -1 penalty on all saving throws versus sonic attacks.

Karthak, your spells go off without a hitch. Your mage armor will last for the next five hours, and your shield will last for the next five minutes.

[Toshanharath] -
Spot Check: You can just barely make out a handful of figures on the deck of the approaching ship. They seem to be heavily armored. A massive eight-foot tall Warforged stands at the bow of the ship.

The other ship will catch up to yours in one minute.

Krug

Newshound
Mong watches as the mage casts some spells. "The best spell for your defense is you getting out of open range," she says. She readies her arrow, licking her lips.

Barkey

First Post
Barandurr mutters something under his breath about what good a ship is with no weapons, and begins moving groggily towards Toshanharath, pulling out his hammer as he staggers, when he gets close enough he pulls what looks like dog hair out of a pouch on his belt, throws it on Toshanharath and begins chanting something in dwarvish. Then nothing happens, you wonder if his spell has failed, he hasn't ever looked like much of a cleric so it's not suprising.

{ooc/- I cast bulls strength on Toshanharath}

nonamazing

Explorer
From the fog: a mysterious foe!

Gravan continues to bellow orders to his crew as the Soarwood craft gracefully drifts closer. A moment later, the wind changes direction, and a thick bank of fog settles across you, chilling you to the bone and making it impossible to see anything. For just a moment, all is silent.

Then you hear a "thunk", and then another--a sound like wood striking wood. Seconds later, you hear the rush of booted feet, and the fog finally begins to blow away.

The smaller ship has pulled alongside you, and two heavy black wooden planks have been tossed out to connect your ship to theirs. A small group of armored soldiers have taken advantage of the sudden fog to rush aboard--burly humans, they wear tabards over greenish tinted chainmail, and helmets with an odd half-faceplate. On their shields, and on the front of their tabard, is a stylized insignia of a green claw. They wave their flails menacingly, leering as Gravan's crew scuttle away in all directions.

Aboard the black ship are two more men, similarly dressed, carrying crossbows and flanking a smaller woman. The woman wears the same chainmail and tabard, but no helmet. Her long black hair is whipped about in the wind, and a green leather eyepatch covers her left eye. Her good eye is closed in concentration and she holds a glowing emerald in both hands.

Just behind the woman, you see a massive Warforged, nearly eight-feet tall, take a running start and leap from one ship to the other. It lands on the Whale's Carcass with a massive crash, splintering the wood beneath its feet with its sheer weight. It's left hand has been replaced with a devious-looking serrated waraxe, and in its right it carries a large metal shield. Its eyes have a slight greenish glow.

After the Warforged lands, the woman puts away her gem and turns her attention to you, a disgusted expression on her face. "Augh! How can you possibly stand to sail in a ship that stinks like that? It smells like...it smells like...like..."

"Like a dead whale, Miyris?", offers one of the crossbow-wielding soldiers helpfully.

"Shut up," says the woman disdainfully, clouting the soldier across the back of the head. "It doesn't matter! Listen," she says, turning her attention back to you, "I just want to get this finished and over with so I can get away from this stench as quickly as possible. So just cooperate, and no one will get hurt and we'll all be happy, okay?"

"W-wh-what do you, w-w-want?" cries Voddlegrok, "W-we don't have anything of v-value, mmm."

"Oh, whatever! I'm not here to steal your jewelry or anything. Do I look like a common pirate to you? Hmm? I didn't think so. I just want one thing, and then we'll all be on our way." She looks away from Voddlegrok, sneering, and begins issuing commands. "Deadweight! Find the book, and hurry up! It's probably belowdecks. The rest of you, make sure none of these stinky people try anything funny!"

"Uhh, actually, Miyris, I don't think it's the people that stink, it's just the boat..," one of the flail-wielding soldiers says.

"Oh, would you just SHUT UP!"

There are four enemy soldiers and a dangerous looking Warforged aboard your ship. The angry woman (who seems to be the leader), remains on the smaller ship, with two more soldiers. The men look competent but not particularly skilled (and a little on the dumb side) The odd gleam in their eyes may mean that they're under the effect of something (possibly magic or drugs). The Warforged looks positively scary.

I've updated the map in my earlier post to reflect everyone's current posistion (and the position of the invaders). The small 'o's on the maps are the soldiers, the 'W' is the warforged, and the 'L' is the enemy leader (Miyris) Initiative is as follows:

Karthak - 17
Quentin Voddlegrok - 16
Norderil - 15
Deadweight (the Warforged) - 15
Miyris (the leader) - 14
Mong - 9
Barandurr - 7
enemy soldiers - 4
Captain Gravan - 2
Toshanharath - 1

Current spell effects (known):
Bull's Strength on Toshanharath (4 more minutes)
Mage Armor on Karthak (5 more hours)
Shield on Karthak (4 more minutes)

Quentin is going to faint (that's his standard response to most forms of danger). If no one stops it, the Warforged is just going to stomp down belowdecks to search for whatever this 'book' is.

OOC: - I know a few people are still out of town/busy with holiday stuff, etc., so I'm going to give everyone plenty of time to respond to this one.

Krug

Newshound
Mong moves over to Quentin, acting as if she's trying to make sure he doesn't faint. "Come on gnome. You've tolerated the smell of this ship for days. Surely you would not faint at this slight smell? What book is this?" she whispers softly. She tries to appear calm and collected.

Last edited:

Remove ads