[Eberron] Beneath the Ice!

nonamazing

Explorer
An explosive (although brief) battle!

Karthak closes his eyes, fingers twisting sublimely in the air as he concentrates on precisely manipulating the elemental forces. A split second later: an incredible roar, a brilliant flash of light, and a searing hot wind that whips across the ship. The soft canvas sails of the small black ship are instantly incinerated by the blast, and the light wood bursts into flame. Both of the crossbow-wielding soldiers are killed immediately, and Miyris is literally blown off her her ship from the force of the explosion, her smoking body splashing into the water several feet away.

Voddlegrok stares, fascinated, at the destruction. "Oh, m-m-m-my..." Then he quietly faints.

The green-clad soldiers that had boarded the Whale's Carcass look back at their destroyed ship in shock. Norderil takes advantage of the confusion to slip up next one of the soldiers, launching an obvious feint at the surprised warrior, hoping to cause the human to overextend himself. The bulky man takes a cautious step backwards and raises his shield, not allowing himself to be drawn into Norderil's trap.

The Warforged pauses for only a moment as its ship explodes behind it. Its eyes never leave Barandurr's, who growls menacingly. Deadweight, ignoring Toshanharath's taunts, slashes downward at Barandurr. The Dwarf swings his hammer up and high, creating sparks as he deftly blocks the axe blow, smirking. But the axe swing was only a distraction from the Warforged's actual attack--Barandurr's eyes grow wide right before the Warforged's metal shield cracks him across the face. Stumbling back a pace, Barandurr lifts a hand to his bloodied nose, then cries out as he drags the hammer through its backswing, only to have it clang harmlessly against the Warforged's mithril plating.

Mong looks out angrily at the burning ship, her chosen target denied her. A moment later, she notes a flurry of movement out of the corner of her eye, and turns to see the diminutive Norderil engage one of the flail-bearing soldiers. She swiftly brings her bow to bear, loosing her shot at the soldier's exposed flank. The arrow is driven into the wooden railing just behind the soldier, but before the arrow's feather's have stopped quivering, Mong has notched and released another shot, striking the soldier in his upper arm. He cries out in pain, and jerks back, his foot catching in the arrow behind him. Screaming, arms pinwheeling, the soldier falls backwards off the ship.

The remaining three soldiers look nervously at one another, and then at the burning wreckage of their ship, and finally at their Warforged companion, outnumbered but fighting on. It doesn't take them long to realize that with their leader dead and their ship gone, they have only two options: fight to the death, or surrender. Wearily, they toss their flails and shields to the deck before raising their hands in the air.

Toshanharath watches the brief exchange between Barandurr and the Warforged, waiting, perfectly still, for the right moment. When he finally strikes, it is with the speed of thought: his crystal sword glows, then flashes brilliantly, and in an instant strikes along Deadweight's side, shredding through metal and wood alike to leave a smouldering scar all the way down the construct's arm. Amazingly, though it stumbles and the greenish light in its eyes briefly flickers, the Warforged is not brought down by this awesome blow--it shakes its head and turns to face Toshanharath, impressed (and perhaps more than a little frightened) by the force of the tall man's attack.

Captain Gravan, his terrified crew, and the surrendering soldiers all look on in awe at the conflict in front of them, as the Warforged draws back his axe, preparing for a vicious attack...​

Karthak's fireball did 19 damage to each of the crossbow soldiers, neither of which made their saving throw. Miyris, however, did make her saving throw and is still alive (and hurt) somewhere in the water. The Soarwood sailing ship is aflame and in pretty bad shape.

Norderil made a Bluff check (roll: 4 +7= 12) versus the soldier's Sense Motive (roll: 14 +2=16) and failed in his feint. Deadweight made a slam attack on Barandurr, dealing 4 points of damage (Barandurr's nose is bloody, but not broken). Barandurr's counterattack, however, missed (roll: 7 +5=12 vs 16).

Mong fired twice at one of the soldiers, the first shot missing (roll: 2 +11=13), but the second easily hitting (roll: 8 +11=19) for 8 damage (roll d8: 3 +5=8). That particular soldier is still alive, doing his best to tread water with his good arm.

Toshanharath's attack just hits (roll: 9 +8=17 vs 16), dealing 21 points of damage (roll 5d6: 17 +4=21), which severely damages the Warforged.

The three remaining soldiers are surrendering, so the only remaining threat is the Warforged. Deadweight isn't out of the fight yet, though. Unwilling to surrender and unable to run, the metal giant seems to be focusing on Toshanharath for his next attack.

[Norderil, Karthak] -
(Spot checks): The flame is beginning to spread across to the Whale's Carcass along the planks that connect the two ships.

Let the final round begin!

Speed-Stick

First Post
Karthak notices the flames dancing across the planks connecting the two ships, he shouts an order to anyone who will listen "Somebody better get those planks off our ship, or we are going to go up in flames to.". Karthak hopes his fellow explorers can deal with the Warforged, and casts another spell, trying to keep the flames from engulfing them all.

Casting Gust of Wind to try and blow the fire away from us, or at least stop its advancement for a turn.

Krug

Newshound
Mong fires the maximum number arrows she can at the Warforged. "Deadweight? Hah... the name shall be literal soon!"

Doomhawk

First Post
Toshanharath stays light on his feet for a few seconds. "I don't know, Mong, I think it's awfully literal now. Why, he'd still be deadweight if he were made out soarwood and livewood!" A moment passes, and Toshanharath sighs. "Fighting Warforged is never any fun." He lashes out again.

OOC: 5-foot-step to put myself in such a position that Barandurr and I are flanking the Warforged. Full attack action. Attack at +5, doing 1d6+2 damage plus 4d6 more (Psionic Weapon and deep crystal again). The extra attack from Haste will be nonlethal damage, making it at +1, dealing 1d6+2 damage and 2d6 more (deep crystal again). PP remaining: 13, and both of my foci are gone.

nonamazing

Explorer
The skirmish winds to a close...

A crack of thunder echoes off in the distance, warning of an oncoming storm. The sudden fog that had so badly obscured your vision of the sea is vanishing fast, driven back by the waves of heat coming off of the black ship. The sky is rapidly darkening--heavy black clouds are converging in your direction.

"That rain won't arrive in time to save us from the fire," mutters Gravan as he notices the flames beginning to chew their way across the boards connecting the two ships. But before the anxious former pirate can finish his sentance, Karthak has acted. The noble half-elf recites a brief arcane formula designed to call upon the opposition of heat and cold to create a strong wind. His arms undulate sinuously as he directs the wind at the burning ship. Instead of extinguishing the blaze, however, Karthak's gust of wind only serves to add fuel to the conflagration. As the fire roars even louder, the smaller ship tilts back in the force of the wind, but does not fully keel over. Gravan shouts in alarm as he realizes the source of the problem. "Those boarding planks have metal hooks in them--we're tethered to their ship! Your air magic may be keeping the fire at bay for now, but if we don't do something, both of our ships are going down!" The captain begins to make his way toward the other side of the ship, moving carefully to avoid stumbling into the Warforged combatant's melee range.

Mong, shouting defiance, steps over Voddlegrok's semi-concious body and lines up a shot at Deadweight's back. Combining her own advanced archery training with Karthak's magical enhancement, Mong quickly notches and releases three arrows, each of which find their mark despite the somewhat disadvantaged angle of fire. In the blink of an eye, the metal terror has three fletched arrows sprouting from the back of its neck.

Deadweight snaps his head back and the arrow shafts break off, leaving the sharp heads buried in its neck. As part of the same fluid motion, Deadweight brings its arm straight out and then rapidly to the side, the jagged edge of its axe-hand gouging Toshanharath across the forehead. The tall warrior cries out in pain as he steps back and to the side, wiping his sleeve across his face to keep the blood out of his eyes.

Barandurr notices Toshanarath's wound and shouts to try and draw away the Warforged's attention. Hoping to give his companion a good opening for a counterstrike, the priest swings low at the construct's knees, forcing it to turn to the right to bring its shield to bear.

The nimble Kalashatar smiles as he spies a weak spot in Deadweight's defense. His crystal sword comes down on the construct's neck, the force of the blow driving the arrowheads further in, like a wedge. His first strike having nearly decapitated the invader, Tosharhanath takes advantage of the unnatural speed and fluidity granted by Karthak's magic to bring his blade around in a circular arc, twisting to the side in mid-air to strike the mithral-plated warrior with the flat of his blade. Unfortunately, Karthak's second blow is somewhat clumsy and is deflected by Deadweight's cunningly armored body.

Tosharanath readies himself for another attack and Barandurr raises his hammer to the sky with a ferocious warcry. The two keep a careful eye on the Warforged, understandly wary of any further attacks it might be preparing to make. A few seconds pass, and Deadweight remains completely motionless. The entire ship stares on, anticipating the giant's next attack, but it simply stands there, its eyes still unnervingly glowing green.

Gravan reaches the boarding planks, keeping a cautious eye on the enemy soldiers still standing nearby. He draws a small dagger from his belt and uses it to start prying away the plank closest to him. Norderil, recognizing the danger the fire represents, moves to the other boarding plank and begins prying it loose as well. Soon the Whale's Carcass is freed from the burning remains of the rival ship, which begins to slowly drift away.

Deadweight remains unmoving until Barandurr finally reaches out and taps it on the chest. It falls backward and strikes the deck with a powerful crash, causing wood to splinter and groan. "I think you've broken it," quips Gravan, grinning.

"Okay, men, let's get these prisoners tied up and belowdecks. And be quick about it--that storm's going to hit us any minute and we need to get ready for it!" As his crew members scrabble to carry out his orders, Gravan calls you over. "Well, that was exciting, now wasn't it? Heh." In the background, you can see two of Gravan's crew ineptly trying to fish the wounded enemy soldier out of the ocean. "But on a more serious note, I want to thank you all for standing in the defense of my ship. I don't believe I've ever seen fighting quite like that--and an impressive display of magical power as well, sir Karthak! Remind me not to ever give you cause to cast that fire magic at my ship!"

One of the crew members, an elderly human woman named Lucky, trundles over to the captain and tugs politely at his sleeve. "We gots th' one man out of th' water, cap'n, but there ain'ts no sign of th' bit--er, th' woman."

"Hmm. Well, we'll never find her at this point, and she's not going to last long out there anyway, I'd wager. Tend to the prisioners as best you can, and start preparations for the storm." With a curt "Aye" and a nod, the crewmate sets about carrying out Gravan's orders.

Gravan turns back to you. "Well, what about this fellow?", he says, nudging the inert construct's body. "Is it dead? And what do we do now? Do any of you have any idea what that attack was about?"​

The combat proceeded as follows: Karthak's gust of wind increased the potency of the fire but managed to hold it back. Mong fired three arrows at the Warforged from point blank range, but suffered a slight (-2) circumstance penalty due to an ood angle of fire (two shots from Rapid Strike + one from haste; rolls 9, 12, 14 +8=17, 20, 22 vs 17). She dealt a total of 27 damage (roll 3d8: 12 +15=27). Deadweight attack Toshanharath with its axe and hit (roll: 14 +8= 22), dealing 9 points of damage. Barandurr used the aid another action to give Toshanharath a +2 bonus to his attacks (roll: 10 +5=15 vs 10), combined with the flanking bonus, this gave Toshanharath a total of +4. Toshanharath's first attack was a hit (roll: 6 +12=18 vs 17) but his second one was not quite as lucky (roll: 4 +8=12 vs 17). He dealt 19 points of damage (roll 5d6: 15 +4=19), reducing Deadweight to -6 and rendering it inert. Norderil worked with Gravan in order to cast off the boarding planks, preventing the fire from spreading to the ship. Please noted that I shifted initiative order slightly for dramatic purposes.

Now that the furious battle has ended and a terrible storm approaches, what do you do?

Krug

Newshound
"Well those who did know are dead, burnt or at the bottom of the sea. Lets ask the prisoners about what book they were looking for and who our attackers are. But I don't think they will know much," she says. Mong retrieves the arrows she can and discusses with the others what to do next. "There appears no way to speed away from the storm, is there?" she looks at the spellcasters.

She regrets that the combat was over so quickly, but happy to have helped take some of the opponents down, particularly the troublesome warforged.

nonamazing

Explorer
Gravan nods, obviously agreeing with Mong's assessment of the situation. "Low-ranking soldiers in the Order aren't trusted with much information. But it is a good idea to question them. What little we can glean from them might help shed some light on the situation. By the way, have you encountered the Order of the Emerald Claw before? Their leader seemed to be interested in you." Gravan shakes his head. "I've had a few run-ins with them--they're Karrnathi military fanatics. Generally an unpleasant bunch to deal with, but they do tend to take good care of their flunkies. They offer a fair ransom for the return of any of their men, should they become captured. So even after the minor repairs to the ship and the cost of feeding those four, we'll still stand to make a small profit."

"Are you so sure this metal one is dead, though? Its eyes are still glowing...if it is dead, we should toss it overboard."​

Speed-Stick

First Post
"I don't think Deadweight is quite... dead. I think we should tie him up and take his weapons. Does anyone know if he will eventualy wake up if we dont heal him or repair him? He seemed like some sort of second in command." Karthak frowns at the coming storm, knowing that his magic will not allow them to out run it.

Krug

Newshound
Mong slaps her hand on the Warforged. "It might make a good ally, but can these creatures be trained? Otherwise, we could sell it as a house decoration," she says. She searches the Warforged to see what it has, looking particularly for documents and such. "As for the prisoners, tell them if they do not speak up, they will be food for kraken. And the Emerald Claw... I can't say I am familiar with them."

Remove ads