• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Beneath the Ice!

nonamazing

Explorer
It will be difficult to take the Warforged's axe and shield. The axe is actually attached to his arm in place of his left hand--someone would have to actually cut the axe off in order to disarm it. Its inert right hand is holding the shield tightly in place, and a Strength check will be needed to remove it.

Mong, you manage to recover one of the five arrows that you had fired (three were destroyed by Deadweight and one was ruined when the soldier you shot fell overboard).

Would any of you like to handle the interrogation, or would you prefer to have Gravan handle it? If you want Gravan to do it, you'll have to wait until after the storm. If someone in the party wishes to do so, will you choose to use Diplomacy or Intimidate?

[Mong] -
(Search Check): You don't find any items of interest on the Warforged, nor any identifying marks on the construct or its shield. (Unknown skill check): You have a strange feeling when you're near the Warforged, but you can't pinpoint exactly what causes it.

[Karthak] -
(Knowledge: Arcana): Although you're no expert on Warforged, the subject has come up a couple of times during your studies. As you understand it, because they do not bleed, the Warforged don't suffer from wounds in quite the same way that normal beings do. A human, for example, wounded like the Warforged would slowly die as his wounds got worse over time. When a Warforged is similarly damamged, however, they do not deteriorate, remaining in stasis until repaired.

Norderil walks over to the inactive juggernaught. Noticing the axe-arm is integrated, and the shield is not, he ispects the arfm carefully to see if maybe there's some mechanical means of opening the mightily clenched fist. "Unfortunatly my resourcefull friend, this beast is as much a sentient as you or I. Well, one might as well try to train poor Quinton over there!" Regardless of the fruits of said labour, Norderil will be glad to handle the interrogation, drawing on his rogue training, interrogating each prisoner seperatly, heavy on the Diplomacy.

((OOC: Looking to see if maybe I can swing a Disable Device check to disable the arm enough to remove the shield.))

Krug

Newshound
"There's something strange about this Warforged. Move him beneath deck, but make sure he's chained up," says Mong.

nonamazing

Explorer
The storm rages through the rest of the afternoon and evening, probably the worst thunderstorm any of you have ever seen. As night falls, the rain begins to freeze, coating the deck and sails with ice. Despite the danger, Gravan and his crew remain at their posts, keeping the ship afloat. Occassionally you can make out Gravan's shouted orders over the noise of the storm.

Luckily, you don't have too much to worry about. The storm is severe, indeed, but the Carcass is a heavy, powerfully built ship, designed to survive through harsh weather conditions. You're forced to admit that the bumbling Voddlegrok chose well--it may have a misfit crew and a disreputable captain, but the Whale's Carcass is certainly one of the few ships that could have made the rough passage to Frostfell.

The prisoners are surprisingly cooperative but aggravatingly ignorant. They tell you about helping Miyris to steal a ship from an Aundairian noble, which they used to catch up to you. They had two objectives: get the book, and capture the Shifter. The only thing the soldiers knew about the book was that they would recognize it by its metal covers. The only thing they knew about the Shifter was that some of the leaders of the Emerald Claw wanted to recruit her for some reason.

Norderil cleverly spots some omissions in the prisoner's stories, and after another hour of careful questioning, he manages to pry out a couple of interesting facts. First of all, It seems that Miyris had a weather-controlling gem that she used to summon the opressive fog which had allowed them to sneak up on your ship. One of the smarter soldiers is worried that the current storm may have arrived because Miyris' gem was broken or destroyed when she was thrown overboard in the explosion. And secondly, all of the soldiers bear some bitterness toward the Warforged, because it had attacked them during their theft of the soarwood ship. Even though the Warforged became a lot more docile after Miyris had talked to it for a little while, the soldiers had never quite felt comforable with it.

Deadweight presents an intriguing mystery. The sled dogs begin barking and whining furiously whenever the construct is brought near them, forcing you to secure the Warforged in one of your personal cabins in order to keep the dogs placated. Norderil isn't able to figure out any way to release the Warforged's death grip on its shield, but after examining the clenched fist for a few seconds, the clever gnome comes up with an idea: applying some butter, he manages to loosen the shield enough to pull it free.

The large metal shield is quite different from the shields that the Emerald Claw soldiers were carrying. For one thing, its design is quite different, almost exotic: it is painted with an abstract red and silver design, and seems to be made primarily from flame-touched iron. Unlike the other shields, it bears no green claw insignia.

Every so often, one of the crew will pop belowdecks for a brief warm-up before heading back out to face the chill of the storm once again. Throughout the night, they keep you informed of the worsening conditions of the storm. As the crew grows wearier, their stories of the thunderstorm's malevolence grow more and more bizarre. The bone-tired sailors claim to have seen shapes in the lighting: dragons, ghosts, and monsters made of ice. One swears he saw an island, briefly illuminated by a lightning flash, where dozens of goat-legged men danced, playing songs that called down the rain.

But by morning, all the nightmares and fancies have passed. The storm turns to a brief drizzle, and eventually gives way before the onslaught of morning. The terrible cold, however, remains, forcing you all to equip your full winter gear to protect yourselves. The sun is dazzlingly bright, but the sky is oddly grey, although cloudless. Huge blocks of ice fill the ocean as far as you can see, many looming several yards above the ship.

Around noon, you take a moment to speak with Gravan as he carefully pilots the ship through the fields of ice. "Few of my men had any rest this night, so we're at half-sail for the moment while my crew gets some sleep. I can handle that much by myself, and we'll need to be going slow anyways while we get through this ice. By the looks of it, I'd say you folks are due for some rest as well. Don't worry about fallin' behind schedule--judging by the cold and the ice, that storm must've pushed us pretty far north. Almost impossibly far north, I'd say--we shouldn't have been seeing ice like this for another two, two and half weeks. Bad news, though, is that it may also have pushed off course to either the east or the west. I'm not sure by how much. Haven't had a chance to get my bearings just yet, but it shouldn't be long now. Soon as night falls and the moons come up."

The ship seems to be well-insulated against the cold. Belowdecks, you're almost comfortable, as long as you keep plenty of fur on. Abovedeck, however, the cold is painfully terrible to deal with, and when the wind rises up, it cuts you to the bone. It's now cold enough to kill an unprotected man, were he to stay out overnight.

Everything seems odd. It shouldn't be this cold--somehow you instinctively know this for a fact. And all throughout the day, as the ice field grows thicker and the increasingly larger blocks of ice threaten to obliterate the sun alltogether, you can't help but feel as though you are all being watched. As though curious eyes spy upon your vessel's movement through these alien waters.

Norderil had an easy time of things with the prisoners (Diplomacy roll: 17 +9=26) and not much trouble finding a way to get the shield free (Disable Device roll: 12 +7=19). "Cold" conditions are now in effect--from here on your characters will need to wear heavy winter gear or have some other protection from the cold's effects. It's roughly right at freezing (0 degrees farinheit), but the wind can make that much worse.

One important question: Who will volunteer to allow the Warforged to be put in their cabin?

Oh, here are your experience point awards up to this point in the story:
Barkey: 350 [300 (combat) + 50 (roleplaying)]
Krug: 400 [300 (combat) + 50 (roleplaying) + 50 (interview)]
Doomhawk: 350 [300 (combat) + 50 (roleplaying)]
Sorrow: 365 [300 (combat) + 50 (roleplaying) + 15 (interrogation sucess)]
Speed-Stick: 400 [450 (combat) + 50 (roleplaying)]

Karthak earned a bit of extra experience for the combat because of his risky fireball gambit which ended up paying off well. Good roleplaying so far, everyone--please keep going, and don't be afriad to kick it up a notch! Bam!

Norderil considers the issue for a moment, before remarking, "Well, we certanly can't leave it up here, as my compatriot has pointed out. I would have little issue keeping it in my cabin, properly secured of course, although it appears to be inactive. I do have a little experiance with the Warforged, albeit it extremely limited. Personally I would delight at the opportunity to study it further!" He pauses for a moment before warmly considerring his firends, "That is, if there are no objections of course!"

Aside from this, Norderil will probably spend most of his time poring over the books he and Quentin recovered, preparing himself mentally for the possibilities of the terrain and ruins ahead of him. A good chunk of his free time not spent on deck watches (which he is glad to lend his sharp eyes and ears to) will be spent unraveling the secrets of the strange warforged, Deadweight.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Mong volunteers. "Could we remove the axe as well? That would render it mostly harmless." After hearing about the Emerald Claw being after her, Shifter scowls. "What would they want withme? I am not familiar with their practises." She asks the others for more information.

nonamazing

Explorer
A few notes (skill and intelligence checks)

Luckily, Gravan doesn't require any of your group to take a shift on watch--for the most part, you're all treated as passengers rather than as sailing crew. Which means that Norderil is able to devote plenty of time to a little research, both of the massive survival tome he and Voddlegrok purchased and of the mysterious Warforged. (since Norderil spoke up first, I'm going to say that Deadweight ended up with him).

[Norderil] -
From your research in the book, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on your next three Survival checks, or any realted skill check dealing with Frostfell conditions. Note that you can use this bonus in order to make an aid another check. (Search Check) Looking over the Warforged body carefully, you notice a concealed panel in the chest. Inside the panel is a small, glowing green stone, obviously magical, hovering in the empty space. You are not the sort to be supersititious, but the stone seems unwholesome to you, it's sickly greenish light causing you to feel slightly ill. Because of the nearby presence of the Warforged and the magic raditating from the floating stone, you have some difficulty sleeping, and your rest is plagued with minor nightmares.

I made a few intelligence checks to see what sort of knowledge your characters might have about the Order of the Emerald Claw, since Mong was asking the group for more information. Your characters may share this information, or not--your choice.

[Barandurr] -
The Dwarves have little dealing with the Emerald Claw, so you don't know much about them. You have been told that the fanatics of the Order seem to have a hatred for Elves--many of their terrorist mission are carried out against Elven targets, specifically the Elven Dragonmarked Houses.

[Toshanharath] -
You've had a couple of run-ins with the Order. Although they purport to be a military group, their mission teams are frequently led by clerics following the faith of the Blood of Vol.

[Karthak] -
Your uncle Wassen has complained to your frequently about the Order of the Emerald Claw. As he tells it, the group is trying to restart the war, so that Karrnath will have a chance to take over the Five Nations.

[Norderil] -
Some scholars suspect that the Order is secretly controlled by another, more mysterious group. No one knows much about this group, but some suspect the true leaders of the Order to be a cabal of snake worshippers.

Doomhawk

First Post
Toshanharath scratches the back of his head. "I don't know much about the Emerald Claw; I've fought with them a few times and about the only thing I've learned is that they have connections to the Blood of Vol. They're a mysterious group."

He turns to Norderil. "I was going to volunteer to take the Warforged if no one else wanted to, but don't let me get in the way of your curiosity." As he says the last word, his lion-shaped psicrystal pretends to fall dead on his shoulder, and he quietly makes a "ba-doom tish!" sound to himself.

Norderil beams. "Oh, certainly not. In fact I, would welcome your counsel!"

Several days after Norderil does in fact come to speak with Toshanharath. He seems troubled, and as if he has not in fact been sleeping all that well. "I seem to have discovered something... odd. I thought perhaps you might have some expertise in the realm of... er... gemology, as I suppose this would fall under, hmm, yes that sounds right." Assuming he is willing to help, Nordxeril will invite Toshanharath to his quarters and reveal to him what he has uncovered.

Last edited:

Remove ads