[Eberron] Beneath the Ice!

Speed-Stick

First Post
Karthak dosn't look suprised that these people arn't friendly, and the only thing he says in response to the leader is the words needed to cast another spell.

Casting Haste on everyone I can get in range.

Last edited:

Doomhawk

First Post
Sounding hurt, Toshanharath quips, "But ma'am, funny things are what I do... and I don't smell like whale!" The last word comes out in something of a yelp as the Kalashtar's psicrystal leaps from his shoulder in an attempt to pounce on the newcomers and Toshanharath spends the next few seconds grasping at the air, trying to get a grip on it again. Clearing his throat, Toshanharath sinks slightly into a stance, putting his hand on the hilt of Mongamathor and moving to put himself between the Warforged and the stairway to belowdecks. But he doesn't attack yet, waiting for some indication from Gravan or the others that a fight is inevitable.

OOC: Sorry for not posting for so long. I didn't have Internet access until today, I was out of town for Christmas.

Last edited:

Barkey

First Post
Barandurr has a look on his face like he's swallowed something very distastefull, scowling he looks at the woman, " Lissen Lass wha book ye be wantin? Methinks the Collection of Korranberg would have moren enough books for ya. I'm suren we could come to some sort of agreement though, but wheren I come from ya dont be bringing something like that," he points at the warforged, "Less yar lookin for a fight, an thas a big fella if'n I e'er saw one. If'n that be the case, well methinks me boyos..," he suddenly looks at Mong somewhat sheepishly, remembering the company he presently kept," ...and tha lass, will be morein happy to oblige." As he says this he begins to move foward towards the giant warforged, bringing his rather oversized and gruesome steel warhammer to bear.

nonamazing

Explorer
The tension rises!

The air crackles around Karthak as he begins to intone an arcane formula. The angry, eyepatch-wearing woman shouts, but the spell is finished before her men have a chance to react--tiny electrical sparks dance away from Karthak and strike each of the explorers, causing their muscles to twitch.

Quentin slips to the ground, sighing, as Norderil, nearby, takes up a defensive position behind the fore mast. The Warforged invader ignores Karthak's spellcasting, and moves around to the cabin door. Finding it shut tight, the massive construct slams its shoulder into the door, causing a few small cracks to appear.

"What are you people doing over there?" From her vantage point slightly below the level of your ship, it is difficult for Miyris to get a clear view of the situation. She steps back a few paces and cranes her neck, trying to get a better look at things.

Just after Karthak's enhancement settles over her, Mong breaks away from her cover, and, darting around behind Karthak and Gravan, rushes to Voddlegrok's side. Her words, at first, draw no response from the gnome, but a surreptitious slap suddenly startles him into wakefulness. Looking up wide-eyed at Mong, Voddlegrok stammers, "I-I d-don't know what b-book she's referring to. W-well, Norderil and I did make a few purchases before, um, we left port, but nothing, um, valuable enough to attract thieves!"

Barandurr takes up position just to the side of the Warforged, wielding his hammer threateningly. The metal monster turns slightly to face the Dwarf, who stands slightly higher than the Warforged's waist. Their eyes lock, for just a moment. Barandurr growls as the construct slowly raises its axe.

The enemy soldiers, completely surprised by the unexpected resistance, stand confused, as does Captain Gravan, frozen in perilous indecision. Toshanharath moves past Barandurr to stand just behind the Warforged, his glittering crystal sword at the ready.

Miyris shrieks in anger as she realizes the level of defiance arrayed against her. "I tried to be nice about this, but you wouldn't let me! Fine! Attack their crew--cripple the ship!" The soldiers nod, and shift into agressive positions. "Make sure to take the Shifter alive--our mistress wants a word with her!"​

Round one: Karthak's Haste affects all of the player characters (5 more rounds). Deadweight attacks the cabin door dealing 2 points of damage (after Hardness). Norderil takes cover behind a barrel, Quentin goes prone. Miyris delays her action until the end of the round, and soldiers, without clear orders, choose to skip their action. Mong moves from one side of the ship to the other to kneel next to Quentin. Barandurr and Toshanharath take up positions threatening the Warforged, and Miyris uses her delayed action to command her troops to attack. Miyris' new initiative count is 1 (right after Toshanharath). Captain Gravan does nothing, seemingly unable to decide whether he should resist and risk his ship and crew or submit to the demands of the invaders.

Commence round two!

Krug

Newshound
Hissing, Mong will fire her arrow at Miyris, making a full attack to fire another arrow at her. Rast coils tightly underneath the Shifter's armor, excited at the combat. She will take a 5' step to find cover if she can as well. "Take me alive? Come and TRY!" she hisses.

Last edited:

Speed-Stick

First Post
Deciding that now would be a good time to take the offensive, Karthak grabs something out of his spell component pouch. With another series of arcane gestures, Karthak launches a ball of flame at the opposing ships leader.
Casting Fireball at the leader, and trying to get as many of the other crew in the radius as possible. Deals 5d6 with a DC 17 Reflex save for half.

Last edited:

Norderil also decides to snap into action. Drawing his mace, he steps out from around his cover and engages the first of the two marauders along the port side. Jinking to the left slightly, he swings his the crystal headed mace across the body of the attacker, attempting to provoke a defensive response.

Draw and move action, engaging first attacker using the Feint action. Bluff check +7

((OOC Note: Thank you, nonamazing, for making sure Norderil didn't fall off the ship. :p I've been ahving some trouble with my network, and I had it up for a little while (as evidenced by my character sheet) but lost it. Ended up having to replace my hardware. :( But, all is better now, I should be able to keep up.))

nonamazing

Explorer
Fireball Adjudication

OOC: Because Fireballs can be tricky, I want to make sure I'm getting your intentions correct before I continue. I've added an extra diagram to the maps above showing one possibility for the spell. This possible blast radius would catch the female leader, one of the crossbow soldiers on her ship, two of the flail soldiers on your ship, and the Warforged. The other possible blast would catch the other crossbow-wielder but not the Warfoged. Those are the two possibilites that would catch the most targets.

A third possiblity, which doesn't damage as many opponents, would be to center the fireball on her ship only. This would catch her and both of the crossbow wielders, but none of the soldiers aboard your ship. I mention this third possibility because Karthak would know that his fireball will inflame combustable objects, and both ships are made of wood. Casting the fireball in such a way as to put the enemy soldiers aboard your ship in the blast radius will result in the Whale's Carcass catching fire. Of course, Karthak may have some magic that will deal with the fire--I just wanted to keep you informed of all possible options.

I went ahead and rolled 5d6 for the Fireball: it will do a total of 19 points of damage to each person caught in the blast radius who fails the saving throw.

Once you've chosen an option for your fireball, let me know, and we'll move on to the next round.

Doomhawk

First Post
Mongamathor floats about for a moment as Toshanharath seeks an opening in the Warforged's defenses. "Your name is Deadweight? ...gosh, I can't even taunt you, it's just too easy..." Having seen an opening, he delivers a quick thrust charged with psychic power.

OOC: Draw weapon, and attack with scimitar, using Psionic Weapon and the deep crystal weapon's special ability. +5 to hit, 1d6+2 damage, crit on an 18-20, and 4d6 extra damage on a crit. PP remaining: 17.

Remove ads