• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mirror Image and Combat Reflexes

MojoGM

First Post
Hey all,

An issue came up during Sunday's game which I'd like to put past you for opinions.

An orc adept had cast mirror image, so there were 4 of him. During the combat, he went to move away from a character with combat reflexes who asked to attack all four images, citing each image as an individual. His dex bonus would have given him all four attacks, but I ruled that it was not possible. He swung at one of the images and it dissapeared.

A few rounds later the wizard cast magic missile and hit the remaining 3, including the real adept which he killed.

The character with combat relexes maintains that this is the same thing and his idea should have worked.

We had a discussion about it during the game after which I made my ruling, which was at the time seconded by another player who also DMs.

Now, I ask you, was I correct?

Quoting from the FAQ, it would seem that I was not:

"For all intents and purposes, the figments from a foe's mirror image spell are your foes. You aim your spells and your attacks at the figments just as though they were real creatures. Any spell you can aim at a creature you can aim at an image. When you use a spell that allows you to select multiple creatures as targets, such as magic missile, you can choose multiple images as targets."

I'm thinking I may have made an error. What say you?

NexH

First Post
I haven't thought about using Combat Reflexes against mirror images before this, but it is indeed possible. It is almost the same as the much known "Cleave against mirror images".

Votan

Explorer
MojoGM said:

While I am amazed at the high dexterity, I would say the letter of the rules supports your player. It is an odd case but, when it works, it would be nice.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
MojoGM said:

Well, the FAQ has a lot of references to the Mirror Image spell.

It's just that for the msot part, they seem to be talking about a completely different Mirror Image spell to the Mirror Image spell described in the PHB.

A figment is not a creature. Magic Missile targets one or more creatures. Therefore as written, Magic Missile is incapable of targeting a MI figment.

Cleave triggers when you drop a creature. Therefore Cleave cannot trigger when you strike a MI figment.

So as far as I'm concerned, by the wording of the spell as written in the PHB, your ruling about the AoOs was correct, and your ruling about the Magic Missile was incorrect.

The FAQ would disagree, but it seems to want to treat figments as shadows, somehow.

(It also maintains the 'all in one square' rule, despite wording in the spell that does not require it.)

-Hyp.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd allow Cleave & Great Cleave to work, but not Combat Reflexes.

Movement provokes the AoO. You get one AoO per critter, even if it walks around you in a circle. There's only one real critter, and so his movement only provokes one AoO.

Otherwise, a spellcaster casting a spell would also provoke one AoO per Image, and that would reduce the spell's utility significantly.

-- N

dcollins

Explorer
MojoGM said:
Now, I ask you, was I correct?

Actually, I would rule exactly the same you did. As said above, the FAQ is rather shaky on the mirror image subject (although I disagree with Hyp about some particulars).

With Combat Reflexes, I'd only allow one AOO because the whole point of mirror image is to protect you more against attacks, not less. (Additional rationale: All the images move simultaneously, so there's only one single opportunity given by the whole squad, at exactly the same instant!)

I do allow magic missile to target multiple images, or a similar damage-dealing attack spell that happens instantaneously but could pick out separate targets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not allowing the spells and feats to interact with the mirror images as if they were real reduces the value of the illusion.

Why?

Because it then becomes IMMEDIATELY obvious that the images are illusion.

If the magic missile can only hit the real target and not his mirror images- that mage then knows which one is real.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dannyalcatraz said:
If the magic missile can only hit the real target and not his mirror images- that mage then knows which one is real.

Yes, excellent point.

As opposed to if the magic missile can hit the images... in which case the mage knows which one is real because it's the only one left...

... how exactly is the spell devalued if it lasts longer?

-Hyp.

Remove ads