• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you fit Red Wizards (FR) into Eberron?

Well, the title is really the question, right? I like the Red Wizards, I think they're tres cool and I'd love to find a way to fit them into Eberron, but I'm not sure how.

I've kinda been thinking of having them in a nation in the south of Xen'drik that's just starting to establish links of trade and diplomacy with Khorvaire, so they can start relatively small and subtle in the game but gradually become more important.

But that's just one idea, and I'm not sure how sold I am on it. So--if you please--either 1) help me flesh out that idea, or 2) help me find a better one!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd have them be an order of wizards formerly based in Cyre, and who now have had to spread out, given that their home has gone kablooey. Even though they're not 100 percent likable, they generate enough sympathy due to their plight that nations let them in before they realize they're harboring a scorpion at their breast.

And yeah, the Red Wizards are damned cool, especially in their current iteration.

Heh heh, that could also lead to the Red Wizards somehow being responsible for the state of the Mournland. That's not a bad idea. Although the Red Wizards without their magocracy nation don't seem much like the Red Wizards anymore...

Henry

Autoexreginated
There are a couple of ways:

If you want to fit them in as seamlessly as possibly, then they become "Emerald Wizards", a sect of arcane casters from the Emerald Claw, founded by Vol herself, to create a ritualistic power-base as yet one more means to her goal. They can be dressed in deep forest green, with tattoos reminiscent of Dragonmarks, each enchanted with some arcane power, and making heavy use of ritual magic.

They could be the Blood Wizards, cultists of the Blood of Vol, who seek arcane means to bring about intelligent undeath and sparing the souls of many from Dolurrh's hells.

OR, if you want to go further out, you could say that they are expatriates from Aundair who have lodged by the graces of the Sisters in Droaam and plot to take revenge on their former countrymen.

reveal

Adventurer
You could also just stick them in Xen'drik. It's a highly uncharted continent. The Red Wizards could have their own country in there for all people now. Perhaps they were the reason the Giants died off.

The Thayan Menace said:
Color me a purist, but the Red Wizards do not belong in Eberron. They are simply too unique and too overpowered for that setting.
Uh, nope. Don't agree. Thanks for stopping by, though, and taking a crap in my thread. :)

atom crash

First Post
I say merge the two ideas we have running currently.

Make them be the Emerald Wizards, an elite cabal of arcane casters that form the rulers of the Emerald Claw. They are actually agents of a small magocracy on Xen'drik that is trying to increase its political influence on Khorvaire. They could seek to establish "embassies" in major cities in all the nations of Khorvaire, then eventually reclaim part of the Mournlands in order to establish their own magocracy on Khorvaire.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
References to Excrement Aside

Eberron is not really a high-level setting and many of the leading Red Wizards are extremely powerful. Unless you intend to have them rapidly take over the world and/or destroy it, I would not recommend using them as an organization.

However, select inclusion of the occasional individual (i.e., planewalking) red wizard would be cool ... and balanced.

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
The Thayan Menace said:
Eberron is not really a high-level setting and many of the leading Red Wizards are extremely powerful. Unless you intend for them to rapidly take over the world and/or destroy it, I would not recommend using them as an organization.

However, select inclusion of the occasional individual (i.e., planewalking) red wizard would be cool ... and balanced.

Well it depends, if the Red Wizards are wholely NPCs, then they are no more powerful than CR 20 Dylker, high level Lords of Dust or Inspired (the lazy GM I am, I could see using the Red Wizard prestige class as a substitute to learning XPH.)

The main difference is in methodology. Most high level threats in Eberron are either subtle, factionous or distant until the PC become renowned enough to uncover the secret plots. If the RW are held back for some reason, they could make fine antagonist.

On the Xendrix idea, has anyone read the old Jakador suppliments? Perhaps the Red Wizards aren't a threat yet is because they are an empire in its death throes.

As an aside, don't forget that you haven't had a real pulpy Xendrix adventure until you have talking apes!

Remove ads