• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you fit Red Wizards (FR) into Eberron?

The Thayan Menace said:
Eberron is not really a high-level setting and many of the leading Red Wizards are extremely powerful. Unless you intend to have them rapidly take over the world and/or destroy it, I would not recommend using them as an organization.
I'm really confused by your posts. The Red Wizards are primarily an element of FR fluff. I can make any individual Red Wizards any level I want. There's no requirement to import them exactly as is, NPC statblocks and all. I specifically asked for how to fit the Red Wizards into Eberron. Naturally I can't put every single thing about the Red Wizards into Eberron, because part of who the Red Wizards are is their geography, their history vis a vis the Mulhorandi, etc. and that stuff doesn't fit in Eberron. If their leadership is made up of characters that are higher level NPCs than is standard in Eberron, than yeah, I naturally won't be importing that either (although it's a moot point; I have yet to see a statblock for an NPC in Eberron. Maybe Five Nations has some?)

The fact that I'm going to be making changes on that level is so obvious and basic that it goes without saying. So I didn't say it. And yet, you seem to be saying that those things that so obviously need to be changed that I didn't even mention it can't be changed, which is naturally false.

Like I said, I'm really confused by your posts. They aren't helpful to the question at hand, and they don't make much sense because they violate very obvious and basic steps that of course I'll have to make to transfer Red Wizards into Eberron.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Missing the "Obvious"

I apologize if I've misconstrued your DMing acumen, but since I cannot read minds, I can only respond to what you have posted on this thread.

reveal

Adventurer
The Thayan Menace said:
I apologize if I've misconstrued your DMing acumen, but since I cannot read minds, I can only respond to what you have posted on this thread.

"How would you fit Red Wizards (FR) into Eberron?" seems pretty obvious to me. It's not "Would you fit Red Wizards (FR) into Eberron?"

The Thayan Menace said:
Well, do you have any ideas on how to fit them into Eberron? If your only contribution is "don't do it" in multiple posts and arguing that it can't be done because of things that are simplicity itself to change, then yeah, that's what's called thread-crapping. You're cluttering up the thread with posts that don't advance the topic at all while offering nothing useful in return.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Peace Out

Joshua Dyal said:
You're cluttering up the thread with posts that don't advance the topic at all while offering nothing useful in return.
I was just trying to save you some trouble. As I stated before, I was simply not aware that you had considered all the ramifications of your actions.

I made an incorrect assumption.

I will happily drop out and let you get on with your attempt at campaign hybridization.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Thayan Menace said:
Since your assumption appears to be "let me take every single Red Wizards NPC and drop them into Eberron," yeah, I'd say that's a pretty incorrect one, and one that you can pretty much rest assured would be incorrect with nearly every DM. Assuming that people are boneheads until proven otherwise is a view best kept secret.

The Thayan Menace said:
I was just trying to save you some trouble. As I stated before, I was simply not aware that you had considered all the ramifications of your actions.

I will happily drop out and let you get on with your attempt at campaign hybridization.
Hey, no problem! I was genuinely confused by your replies, though! As Whizbang kinda says, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have at least anticipated the bonehead mistakes already. :D

Any more ideas? The idea of the Red Wizards being behind the fall of Cyre (either accidentally or not) is really growing on me, but it seems to make less sense if they are a nation far away in southern Xen'drik. And having the Red Wizards belong to a powerful magocracy seems to be a pretty integral part of who they are. I'm still wondering where to fit them; if I could get them closer to the main action on Khorvaire somehow, I'd really like to. There aren't any immediately obvious locales in which to place them, though.

Deadguy

First Post
Just throwing an idea out here: how far would Cyre go to try and win victory in its increasingly impossible situation?

Aaren d'Cannith found many of the secrets of the Warforged in Xen'drik. What if they didn't all come from the ruins, but also acquired from a 'Red Wizard' type magocracy? That provides your link to Cyre, since the heart of House Cannith was Metrol in Cyre. What if other magics were also purchased, magics which went seriously awry in the environs of Khorvaire?

And of course, was it really an accident? Or are the Red Wizards preparing for something even more sinister?

That's got potential. I still havent read all of the regional areas of the campaign setting yet though--notably, I haven't read the Xen'drik section. Presumably there's more in Races of Eberron--which I have but also haven't read yet. I better do a little more homework before I'm prepared to investigate how that would work, but it certainly seems doable.

reveal

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Hey, no problem! I was genuinely confused by your replies, though! As Whizbang kinda says, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have at least anticipated the bonehead mistakes already. :D

Any more ideas? The idea of the Red Wizards being behind the fall of Cyre (either accidentally or not) is really growing on me, but it seems to make less sense if they are a nation far away in southern Xen'drik. And having the Red Wizards belong to a powerful magocracy seems to be a pretty integral part of who they are. I'm still wondering where to fit them; if I could get them closer to the main action on Khorvaire somehow, I'd really like to. There aren't any immediately obvious locales in which to place them, though.

Well, what if the reason the Red Wizards were in Xen'drik in the first place is because they were still licking their wounds from what happened in Cyre and they didn't want to be caught up in any investigations that occured into the accident?

Perhaps they are performing the same experiments that led to the creation of the Mournlands. Plus, if Xen'drik is too far away for your tastes, they are powerful wizards. They would have access to teleportation devices/spells as well as other magical means of transportation.

Perhaps, as well, when they got to Xen'drik, they stumbled upon an ancient Giant city full of odd antiquities; some magic in nature, some not. They have been able to unlock some of the secrets, which they are using to, once again, build their empire. They have huge underground facilities which allow them access to ancient knowledge that is not completely understood... yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads