• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you fit Red Wizards (FR) into Eberron?

reveal

Adventurer
Another idea:

Regardless of where you put them in Eberron, if you do use the "they were responsible for the accident in Cyre" that's an easy way to not insert some of the more powerful Red Wizard NPCs. Maybe the most powerful Wizards were performing a ceremony/experiment and they were killed immediately in the blast. The rest of the Wizards left to hide and rebuild.

Is there anything out there on Xen'drik other than the stuff in the main campaign book? What else is in Xen'drik that we know of, and where is it described? Wasn't there a Dragon article a few months ago about drow in Xen'drik or something like that?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Think I would look at putting them near the Shadow Marches or Demon Waste say as an island kingdom, a group that has been gaining power and looking for a foot hold. By being near those lands it helps explain any power issues, they could also be looking for shards, lost magic, and such to explain why the players run into them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Joshua Dyal said:
Is there anything out there on Xen'drik other than the stuff in the main campaign book? What else is in Xen'drik that we know of, and where is it described? Wasn't there a Dragon article a few months ago about drow in Xen'drik or something like that?

Joshua,

It may not help much, but if you have the Monster Manual 3, several of the entries (Armands, Sand Giants, for two) have incidental info about Xen'drik in their flavor write-ups. Armands for instance, are in some sort of desert range named Menechtaurun, west of some named mountain range, where they trade with the giants in the foothills, or something like that. I'm afraid I don't have the book handy, or I could tell you more.

D'oh! The only WotC monster book that I don't have! That's kinda weird, though--obviously some development's been done on Xen'drik for them to have named features--I wonder when they'll see print?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Red Wizards of Kaarnath?

Melding the Red Wizards into the Blood of Vol is interesting to me, but would require losing the magocracy or substantially altering it.
I would hesitate using Xendrik. The whole continent has a serious No Humans Lost World vibe to it. A sophisticated human civilization might ruin that. I would create Thay as an island either in the Lhazaar Pricipalities or on the other side of Sarlona. The Red Wizards could be the remnants of a human civilization prior to the arrival of the Quori and the Dreaming Dark. The strict magocracy could have developed to fend off the machinations of the Dream Lords. They have been isolated for centuries, held in check by the quori and the dragons. They see Khorvaire as a potential for reclaiming their former glory.

Grim

Andor

First Post
You could have it that the Red Wizards were what (everyone thinks) the Emerald Claw are. An ultranationalist sect of wizards loyal to Cyre but fond of dubious methods. So even if they were responsible for the day of mourning it was by accident or sabotage, by the Lords of Dust perhaps, althought there are many obvious (or subtle) options. So then rather than being a simple bad guy sect, they become more Eberronian (or whatever) in their flavor as they may well be enemies or allies depending on whether the PC are advancing their pro-Cyre agenda. I think one of the great things about eberron is almost nothing is a simple Us vs Them setup.

Andor said:
You could have it that the Red Wizards were what (everyone thinks) the Emerald Claw are. An ultranationalist sect of wizards loyal to Cyre but fond of dubious methods. So even if they were responsible for the day of mourning it was by accident or sabotage, by the Lords of Dust perhaps, althought there are many obvious (or subtle) options. So then rather than being a simple bad guy sect, they become more Eberronian (or whatever) in their flavor as they may well be enemies or allies depending on whether the PC are advancing their pro-Cyre agenda. I think one of the great things about eberron is almost nothing is a simple Us vs Them setup.
Yeah, that's a good one too. Maybe... they summoned a new island somewhere off the coast of Sharn, or between Sharn and Xen'drik, and wanted to establish a New Cyre of sorts there! Yeah, ummm... and lots of Cyrans won't go to them, though, because they haven't made any effort to find a legitimate heir to the crown, and have instead set themselves up as a draconian and fascist magocracy.

I dunno. That might have some potential...

Klaus

First Post
IMHO, the best option given so far is the Emerald Wizards one. Instead of "in your face" ruling a magocracy, they're the inner cabal of wizards that rule a shadow network of fanatic cultists.

And if you make the Emerald Wizards the inner circle of Vol, you then pave the way for the Thayan Knights (from CW) to be the Claw Knights, champions and protectors of these wizards.

William Ronald

Explorer
Joshua, if you want to tie these wizards to the Lords of Dust, there are a few Islands off the coast of the Demon Wastes before one reachs the Frostfell continent. These might be good locations to have an arcane order operate in and the Frostfell does have a sinister reputation.

Remove ads