• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D - Heroes For Sale! SOLD! v3 (9am - 1pm) [Edited 8/7/06] - FULL AGAIN

FickleGM

Explorer
I decided to use D&D, instead of Risus, to run my one-shot. This is due to inexperience with the system.

Heroes For Sale! SOLD!

b]Date:[/b] Saturday, August 12, 2006
Time: 9am - 1pm
Location: The EN World Picnic in the Park (unless the Picnic is cancelled due to weather) - I expect that with at least a few of us coming off a fun night rapscallioning (yes, it's a verb), we'll need the fresh air...

Participants (up to six)

Player 1: Ethernaut
Player 2: reveal
Player 3: Ds Da Man
Player 4: nakia (asked to play Urora, the Elven Rogue)
Player 5: Seonaid
Player 6: KidCthulhu

Rel
Queenie122
TroyXavier
Lisa Xavier

Game System: D&D 3.5e

Setting: The World of Greyhawk

Theme: High-level, fantasy adventure...

Plot: The souls of six heroes, who have recently fallen in battle, have been sold by a Night Hag to Azon'Toth, a Demon Prince. These souls have been placed in their restored bodies and given a mission - enter heaven, find the prison of Iggwilv (the witch queen), free her and return her to Azon'Toth.

Here is a brief introduction to the adventure:

[sblock=Introduction]The pain is almost unbearable, yet there is nothing you can do. Since you fell from unseen heights to land on the hard, broken ground, you've been constantly hungry, cold and hurt.

Looking around, you see five others like you - giant, bloated maggots with vaguely human faces. They also appear to be in great pain. The pain is understandable, since an iron hook has been embedded in your flesh. This hook is attached to a chain, which is being held by a cloaked figure riding a horse with flaming hooves.

As you are dragged across the frigid gray ashes, despair settles deep in your soul. Images that you recognize as memories flash in your mind. Scenes of pain, loss and failure repeat over and over within your head. Unable to change your situation, you slowly succumb to utter hopelessness.

The journey seems to take an eternity, but finally you notice structures in the distance. You also notice other creatures of various sizes and shapes, all of them sinister, approaching the same place. The sickening buildings appear to be built out of strange and unholy materials and made up of unreal designs and angles.

Entering the dark and twisted city, you are assaulted by sights, sounds and smells that can only be described as evil. You may not remember who you were or what you had done, but you know that you do not belong here. Those creatures not scared enough to move out of your captor's path are trampled. Their remains left for you to be dragged through, yet even they don't appease your never-ending hunger.

As you are brought to the center of the city, you notice that various beings are beginning to settle a large clearing that is overlooked by a raised platform. It is this platform that you are led to. Your progress stops just short of the platform, as the cloaked figure dismounts its infernal steed and approaches you.

Red, glowing eyes are the first thing you see beneath the dark hood. As the figure gets closer, you notice the burnt, scarred and disfigured face of an old crone. The terrifying hag leers at you and your companions, a wicked smile slowly cracking her mangled visage.

"Our travels are almost complete, my beauties, but before we part ways I would like to enlighten you", the creature hisses. "I would hate for you to not know who was responsible for the predicament that you find yourselves in, so allow me to show you."

With that, she waves her hand in front of your head and the heads of those you are with. Suddenly, memories return to you in a flood. Times of great need, when you reached out for help to get you through dark times. Each of these memories is slightly different than what you believe they should be, for instead of the being that you thought helped you, this being was providing the help.

"You see, you have only yourselves to blame for the eternity of suffering that you are going to endure. Of course, your souls were just a consolation, as the souls of your loved ones, who will one day be joining you, are the true prize," she finishes, as she produces contracts for the souls of those you care about most.

Her final statement settles in and the truth of your mistakes hit you hard. Tricked or not, you realize that you have committed a grievous error by making hasty vows to unknown forces and now you are paying for it.

The hag then turns and begins climbing onto the platform, dragging you and the others along with unbelievable strength. The realization of what you have done makes your head spin as the auction for your souls is commenced. Blackness engulfs your vision and you find yourself lost in a sea of loathing and fear.

"Welcome to my humble abode, mortals," booms a powerful voice, forcing you from your nightmarish slumber. "I am Azon'Toth, Demon Prince of Gora Gorgauth."

You slowly realize that you are no longer in the bodies of large maggots, no longer hungry and no longer pained by iron hooks or horrid memories, although the scars on your psyche are still very fresh. You find that you are in your mortal bodies, which have been restored, and are standing in a large throne room. Seated in the throne is a large man who is wearing opulent white robes trimmed in gold. His bald head adorned with intricate tattoos, Azon'Toth glares down at you through golden eyes.

"I did not bring you here as a reprieve from your suffering, for you are doomed and that will not change. Instead, I brought you hear to make a deal. I've heard that you are good at making deals."

Snickering to himself, he produces the contracts of your loved ones from within his robes. He then rises from his throne and approaches you.

"I require your services and I offer these contracts as payment. Iggwilv, the Witch Queen, has been captured and is being held in the Citadel of Eternal Vigilance, beyond the gates of heaven. Unfortunately, she has something that I want and my kind are not welcome there. So, I will need you to enter the heavens, find the prison of Iggwilv, release her and return her to me. She may need some convincing, but I am sure that you will think of something. You will find that you are equipped with all that you should need."

Azon'Toth returns to his throne and places the contracts back within his robes. He then snaps his fingers and a large circle of swirling darkness appears before you. Staring at the black cyclone for too long would surely bring on madness...if it hasn't already set in.

"Step through the portal and enter heaven..."
[/sblock]

Here is a list of the probable characters for this game (see posts 41 & 42 for links to the PDF character sheets, in case you want to take a peak):

• Oskkill, Male Dwarf Fighter 20 (an elite Dwarven soldier who led special ops from Ulek into the Pomarj, slain recently during a rescue mission in Stoneheim) - the best of the best, Oskkill is the bane of goblinoids everywhere. He has singlehandedly taken out battalions from the Pomarj. Sly and mischievious, his personality is often at odds with his dwarven brethren. This keeps him from staying too long in his homeland, and keeps him in the thick of danger as he tries to overthrow the goblinoids who control the Pomarj.
  • Aki Heart-Seeker, Male Human Ranger 20 (a great tracker and hunter, as well as one of the last of the Rovers of the Barrens, slain recently while attempting to assassinate Iuz the Old) - a little to daring for his own good, Aki views the impossible as merely a more interesting challenge. He is fond of using unorthodox tactics in combat and showboating more than one should. Unfortunately, this X-games hopeful's luck ran out when he attempted to infiltrate Iuz's capital to assassinate the demigod.
  • Thorgrim the Bear, Male Human Cleric 20 (a servant of Kord and champion of the Frost Barbarians, slain recently while defending his people from a Great Wyrm White Dragon) - a gregarious and rowdy shaman of Kord, the god of strength. He wears many parts of a great polar bear, Nanook, that he killed many years ago. These parts have been enchanted in different ways. He is never too proud to sit and drink with the commoners. He is fond of singing ballads and folksongs from the great northeast (even though he can't carry a tune). NOTE: his helm - Nanook's head - is treated as a Mask of the Skull (fly 50' and make a touch attack to cause a Finger of Death affect, 1/day).
  • Urora, Female Elf Rogue 20 (an Elven explorer and relic-hunter from Highfolk who specialized in retrieving artifacts from dangerous places, slain recently while attempting to retrieve the Ruby Dagger of Ebraxis from the four-armed demoness Ekari on the Isle of Dread) - cynical and jaded, Urora has seen too much of the evils that Iuz has wrought to be truly happy. She has made it her personal task to retrieve any objects that can help in the war against evil or any item that is too powerful for evil to keep possession of. While not a killer, assassinating those who she deems too dangerous is not beneath her. Her humor is at times considered dark for a human, let alone an elf.
  • Illea, Female Human Monk 20 (a traitor of the Scarlet Brotherhood who is responsible for foiling many of their plots, slain recently while destroying a Scarlet Brotherhood laboratory in the Vast Swamp) - genetically altered by her people, the Scarlet Brotherhood, she advanced quickly in the skills of the monk (think a white haired, pasty skinned, Jessica Alba/Dark Angel). She saw the horrors of the Scarlet Brotherhood and escaped their control. Since then, she has dedicated her life to fighting them. Her youth and lack of social interaction makes her quiet and shy, but curious.
  • Amin ibn Razul, Male Human Sorcerer 20 (a Baklunish sha'ir and hero of Tusmit, slain recently while protecting his people from a rogue Efreeti Lord) - more comfortable talking to genies, elementals and mephits, Amin is a powerful summoner. He takes great pride in his ability to conjure combatants and direct them efficiently in battle. At times, he shows more compassion for those that he summons than for the people around him. It has less to do with a lack of caring as it does a bond that he has with the beings from the planes. NOTE: In order to keep the page count down, I cut off the Time Stop spell, which is his last known 9th level spell.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Explorer
Buttercup said:
Is it necessary to know the Rissus system to be a player in this game? How complicated is this system to learn?

It is not necessary at all. It is a very easy system. After posting my thread about Risus over at CM, I learned that there are at least a handful of people on these boards that have used the system to some extent (including Risus Monkey, himself - Ethernaut, who I owe a hearty "thank you" to for having great resources/information on his website).

Ethernaut

First Post
FickleGM said:
It is not necessary at all. It is a very easy system. After posting my thread about Risus over at CM, I learned that there are at least a handful of people on these boards that have used the system to some extent (including Risus Monkey, himself - Ethernaut, who I owe a hearty "thank you" to for having great resources/information on his website).

And a hearty "your welcome" back at you. Please put me down for a spot. After running a bazilliongames of Risus, I've never actually played in one as a player. And playing at the EN World Picnic is doubly cool.

FickleGM

Explorer
FickleGM said:

I would also be remiss if I didn't thank CL for pointing me to Ethernaut's site (sorry for not including you in the prior post).

Ethernaut

First Post
Buttercup said:
Is it necessary to know the Rissus system to be a player in this game? How complicated is this system to learn?

To answer your question... I can't think of an easier game to learn.

FickleGM

Explorer
Ethernaut said:
And a hearty "your welcome" back at you. Please put me down for a spot. After running a bazilliongames of Risus, I've never actually played in one as a player. And playing at the EN World Picnic is doubly cool.

*palms getting sweaty...room spinning...performance anxiety coming on*

I mean, of course I'll put you down for a spot. ;)

- FickleGM (who has run slightly less than a bazillion games of Risus...heck, I've run less than 10 games of Risus to date)

Ethernaut

First Post
FickleGM said:
- FickleGM (who has run slightly less than a bazillion games of Risus...heck, I've run less than 10 games of Risus to date)

Perhaps "bazillion" is overstating things a slightly... unless "bazillion" can be used to refer to numbers somewhere north of 18. :)

FickleGM

Explorer
Just an additional note - I am planning on running this game fairly loose, due to the venue. I am going to plan for closer to a 3 to 3.5 hour session so that people can socialize and enjoy the outdoors (maybe throw a frisbee around or whatnot), people can eat, people can move around (in case of discomfort). Since it is my first time doing this, I don't want to overwhelm myself and I do want to leave contingency time.

Just as a second additional note - in CM chat, both Queenie122 and Rel mentioned interest in playing, so I am going to be presumptuous and sign you two up. If you have to back out, just let me know.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Edit: Nevermind. I think my conflicts with this and a couple other things just got solved with one swell foop!!

I'm IN!!

Last edited:

Remove ads