• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Ptolus anyway?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Okay, I know Ptolus is some gaming supplement and I know it has something to do with one of Monte Cooks last projects; but what is it.

Like a new game setting? A complete adventure? Both? Is it any good? What does it feature?

Forgive my ignorance :D :p :lol:

Barak

First Post
From what I gathered, it's.. A way of life.

Seriously, it's the setting Monte has been using for his own game for a long time. Actually, it was used to playtest some stuff while 3E was developed. And Arcana Unearthed, I assume, since there's elements of it in it. Also, Chaositech.

Basically, it's a huge Metropolis, with a huge underground complex underneath. I do believe characters could go from level 1 to 20 without ever leaving the place.

That was all my non-fan-boy, non-buyer perspective. I do think it's most likely an awesome product, but since I can't foresee using it in the near future, I couldn't justify buying it, especially without the possibility of an Amazon special.

DM-Rocco said:
Like a new game setting? A complete adventure? Both? Is it any good? What does it feature?
A city based on the assumptions of the 3E rules (i.e. instead of trying to make the rules confrom to the setting, many elements of the setting derive from and complement the rules). It's more than a city, though. It includes multiple sewers, dungeons, etc., below the city, and also the "spire" that rises above the city. Organizations, prestige classes, etc. Suggestions on running a campaign, including different styles of campaign (political intrigue, dungeon delving, return of some BBEGs, gritty city stuff, etc). And it includes the material to support all of those styles.

The main book includes a chapter of starting adventures that should take PCs to 3rd or 4th level. The CD-ROM includes PDFs with more adventures, including The Banewarrens and Night of Dissolution. The book also details other sites in, above, and under the city that could be used for adventures. There's a poster map, handouts, bookmarks, etc. Notes for using it with Arcana Unearthed/Evolved. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'd say there's easily enough material to run an entire campaign. The book is full color, and there is art on every page, sidebars with explanatory notes and cross-references (inlcuding pg numbers), etc. It's a damn impressive product.

Siobharek

Explorer
Also, the Amzon price most likely won't fly. Monte has kept the book exclusively for the hobby channels to avoid Amazon undercutting the FLGS market. So if Amazon sells it at 75 bucks, they'll lose money.

Oh, because the book's so big, it most likely won't get reprinted, so get it while it's hot.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Amazon also says it's one-tenth its actual pagecount.

There's enough in the book to go from 1-20 in at least one full campaign and if one uses the Banewarrens (included on the enclosed CD), there's probably two full campaigns from 1-20 in the book without a lot of effort on the part of the DM. A DM who is comfortable making up their own adventures could also do at least a third campaign with the book, focusing on crime and street-level adventure pretty easily.

In addition to approximately 500 pages of setting, there's also new monsters (including Monte's version of the Skulk, interestingly), spells, prestige classes, a few magic items and feats, new types of guns and more.

If he hadn't chosen to make this one big honking book, it could have easily been split into two or three volumes.

wayne62682

First Post
Hmm.. so its basically like Sharn in Eberron (albeit with a 10x larger book) in that you could theoretically run an entire campaign just inside it... well, as cool as that sounds it also means I won't be picking it up.. my group hates city games and staying in one locale :(

Remove ads