• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Ptolus anyway?

wayne62682

First Post
Siobharek said:
Pity. Do they like dungeon crawls? 'coz there's a lot of that in it as well...
They do not care for anything that remotely resembles a module. I tried to run an Eberron campaign once using the published adventures, and they rebelled. Characters who had no motive to help, planned to hide secrets from their employer, keep the item they were supposed to recover, etc.

So.. yeah, not worth the money for it at the present time.. although it does sound VERY cool.

Festivus

First Post
Siobharek said:
Also, the Amzon price most likely won't fly. Monte has kept the book exclusively for the hobby channels to avoid Amazon undercutting the FLGS market. So if Amazon sells it at 75 bucks, they'll lose money.

Oh, because the book's so big, it most likely won't get reprinted, so get it while it's hot.

You'd have to convince my wife. Even at the discounted price Amazon lists she scoffed. I doubt I'll ever own it unless it comes as a cheap PDF later down the road.

I suspect my wife has a reaction to cost actuator set at around $30.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
On a per-page basis, it compares quite well to WotC hardcovers, even at the higher price. (The Amazon price is going to be as helpful as their price for Rappan Athuk Reloaded, I suspect.)

sullivan

First Post
wayne62682 said:
They do not care for anything that remotely resembles a module. I tried to run an Eberron campaign once using the published adventures, and they rebelled. Characters who had no motive to help, planned to hide secrets from their employer, keep the item they were supposed to recover, etc.
Rebel? That sounds like standard operating procedure. :) I'm not sure what you mean by the character with no motive to help, but the other parts seem perfectly normal. Of course there could be consequences to such actions. Which indeed can become the bigger part of the story. :uhoh:
Show it to her a portion of the cover at a time? Saying "this is for July, this is for September, this is for November, and this is for January....and this is because I love you soooo much." :lol:

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
Festivus said:
You'd have to convince my wife. Even at the discounted price Amazon lists she scoffed. I doubt I'll ever own it unless it comes as a cheap PDF later down the road.

That stinks...

*cringes*

Unless you want to make a bargain with her. You get a $120 book, she'll get something costing $120 in the future...

That is, if you're in the position to make bargains. :p

RigaMortus2

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
A city based on the assumptions of the 3E rules (i.e. instead of trying to make the rules confrom to the setting, many elements of the setting derive from and complement the rules). It's more than a city, though. It includes multiple sewers, dungeons, etc., below the city, and also the "spire" that rises above the city. Organizations, prestige classes, etc. Suggestions on running a campaign, including different styles of campaign (political intrigue, dungeon delving, return of some BBEGs, gritty city stuff, etc). And it includes the material to support all of those styles.

Basically, all things any good DM would make up on their own anyway...
OR...
Ideas for a lazy DM to "borrow"

Barak

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Basically, all things any good DM would make up on their own anyway...
OR...
Ideas for a lazy DM to "borrow"

Or, you know, a DM that just doesn't care over much for that part of DMing.

Thanee

First Post
I would be more curious about the Ptolus Player's Guide... it's listed with €2,50 - there can't be much to it, or is there? ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads