Pyrohydra

sjmiller

Explorer
Okay,so I have been leading up to the party encountering a six-headed pyrohydra in our next game session. While reading through the description I came across something I want to confirm with others, just to make sure I am doing this right. Each of the pyrohydra heads can breath a 10'x10'x20' jet of flame doing 3d6 damage every 1d4 rounds. I am assuming that I can have those breath attacks target six different opponents and that each one requires a separate save to reduce damage. Is that correct? I also assume that if a head is breathing the jet it cannot also make a biting attack.

Anything else I might want to know about these nasty, nasty creatures?

Nail

First Post
sjmiller said:
I am assuming that I can have those breath attacks target six different opponents and that each one requires a separate save to reduce damage. Is that correct?
They may target whoever they like. All six heads could target one area, if they like.

sjmiller said:
I also assume that if a head is breathing the jet it cannot also make a biting attack.
Yup. Breathing is a Standard Action, meaning the hydra could breath and do a move action.

sjmiller said:
Anything else I might want to know about these nasty, nasty creatures?
They are dead meat against archers and ranged attacks.

Nail

First Post
OTOH, if your PCs just charge in to melee range, the AoOs from the heads will eat 'em alive. Remember each head gets to attack during an AoO.

Each.

Head!

Nail

First Post
If that's not clear enough: If the Ftr provokes an AoO from the hydra (reach 10 feet!), the hydra gets to attack 6 times.

If the PCs melee (without careful prep and tactics), it might be a TPK.

lukelightning

First Post
Nail said:
If that's not clear enough: If the Ftr provokes an AoO from the hydra (reach 10 feet!), the hydra gets to attack 6 times.

There is a debate about that. Many people (such as myself) interpret that to mean a hydra can make one AoO per head but only one AoO for any given instance.

mikebr99

Explorer
Nail said:

If the PCs melee (without careful prep and tactics), it might be a TPK.
I'll 2nd Nail's read on how Combat Reflexes works WRT Hydras.

...Now, if one of your arcane casters has ray of Stupidity... then ANY CR Hydra is dead.

Mike

sjmiller

Explorer
lukelightning said:
There is a debate about that. Many people (such as myself) interpret that to mean a hydra can make one AoO per head but only one AoO for any given instance.
But with Combat Reflexes couldn't you say that with the Dex 12 (and a +1 Dex modifier) that it should get 2 AoO, meaning that two heads could attack? I would say that 2 AoO per round would be fine.

lukelightning

First Post
Hydra AoO rules are a big debate; I just think they are nasty enough as is without giving them a dozen AoO's on a single person. And I've houseruled the hydra breaths to be ranged touch attacks (basically a ray of fire, etc.)

Infiniti2000

First Post
lukelightning said:
So, you view it as a limitation then, instead of a benefit? In other words, let's the hydra has only one head left. With a Dex of 12 and normal Combat Reflexes, he could take 2 AoO's in a round. But, your limitation leaves him with one.

Quite frankly, I don't understand your interpretation at all.

lukelightning

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Quite frankly, I don't understand your interpretation at all.

"A hydra’s Combat Reflexes feat allows it to use all its heads for attacks of opportunity" is the disputed passage. This specifically is based on Combat Reflexes, which still limits you to one attack per instance (e.g. one attack on somone casting a spell, but if they move out of a threatened square and cast you get two attacks).

Others interpet it as "a hydra gets one attack of opportunity, with all its heads" which means all you need to do is distract it with an illusion and it'll use up its attacks on it, then you're safe for the rest of the round.

Remove ads