• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pyrohydra

Infiniti2000

First Post
frankthedm said:
Both are correct by the way the text was written.
I don't agree. The Combat Reflexes feat was not rewritten for the hydra. It was appended. The hydra still has normal Combat Reflexes, enabling it to take 2 AoO's per round.

I don't see anything to change that, thus any interpretations that would conflict with that rule must be false. Therefore, your second option (lukelightning's I guess) must be incorrect. It is such a gross change from the way AoO's work that the minimal text supplied in the hydra description can't possibly account for it.

lukelightning

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Therefore, your second option (lukelightning's I guess) must be incorrect.

I kind of guessed mine was "incorrect" so it's more of a house rule. I like my "8 heads means 8 AoOs (but only one per instance)" rule since that keeps the hydra as a constant threat to anyone near it.

mikebr99

Explorer
lukelightning said:
I kind of guessed mine was "incorrect" so it's more of a house rule. I like my "8 heads means 8 AoOs (but only one per instance)" rule since that keeps the hydra as a constant threat to anyone near it.
So, if the Mage behind his pet Hydra casts Cat's grace on your houseruled Hydra? what happens?

lukelightning

First Post
mikebr99 said:
So, if the Mage behind his pet Hydra casts Cat's grace on your houseruled Hydra? what happens?

Still only one AoO per head. So basically the number of heads replaces the dex bonus for purposes of Combat Reflexes.

Infiniti2000

First Post
lukelightning said:
Still only one AoO per head. So basically the number of heads replaces the dex bonus for purposes of Combat Reflexes.
Which is why I said that your interpretation could in some cases cause the hydra's Combat Reflexes to be worse than normal Combat Reflexes.
lukelightning said:
I kind of guessed mine was "incorrect" so it's more of a house rule.
Frank is arguing that yours is not a house rule, but a valid interpretation.

Nail

First Post
frankthedm said:
Both are correct by the way the text was written.
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't agree.
Nor do I.

My question:
Nail said:
So, if I (Human Ftr) have Combat reflexes and a 12 Dex, may I use my greatsword:
  • "for attacks of opportunity", or
  • "for an attack of opportunity".
....points to the reason. Saying "I can use my greatsword for attacks of opportunity" means the same thing as "I can use my greatsword for an attack of opportunity".

A hydra’s Combat Reflexes feat allows it to use all its heads for attacks of opportunity.
A fighter's Combat Reflexes feat allows him to use his greatsword for attacks of opportunity.

No difference.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
lukelightning said:
That's fine. I just see people interpreting it as "a 12 headed hydra can make 12 attacks of 12 bites...."
I've never seen anyone interpret it that way. Do they really?

Anyway, there seem to be three schools of thought (assuming six heads):
  1. Six AoOs with one head each.
  2. Two AoOs with six heads each.
  3. One AoO with six heads.

At the risk of sounding like Artoomis, I think in this case that the RAW is poorly written that any o these could be considered 'correct'. But, I'd go with option 2 personally as arguable the least bizarre interpretation of some pretty nonsensical text.

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't agree. The Combat Reflexes feat was not rewritten for the hydra. It was appended. The hydra still has normal Combat Reflexes, enabling it to take 2 AoO's per round.
That's the trouble with writing 'the hydra's Combat Refelexes feat allows it to [do something that bares no resemblence to what Combat Reflexes actually does]. As well as its normal benefits? Instead? We don't know, and even if we did, we would still have questions.

Its just horribly worded, and IMO one of the few cases where their guenuinely isn't a single RAW answer.

glass.

lukelightning

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Which is why I said that your interpretation could in some cases cause the hydra's Combat Reflexes to be worse than normal Combat Reflexes.

Unless said Hydra has a 22 dexterity I think one AoO per head is superior. Plus it still gets the benefit of making AoOs when it's flat-footed.

Infiniti2000

First Post
glass said:
That's the trouble with writing 'the hydra's Combat Refelexes feat allows it to [do something that bares no resemblence to what Combat Reflexes actually does]. As well as its normal benefits? Instead? We don't know, and even if we did, we would still have questions.
Can it really be instead? lukelightning (sorry if I seem to be picking on you) agrees that it's not, since he mentions that you still take AoO when flat-footed. So, if it's not 'instead' then the only way to read the ability without conflict is to allow two AoOs with all of its heads in each AoO. Allowing a number of AoO's equal to the current (original?) number of heads does not make it consistent with the Combat Reflexes feat.

It may be badly worded, but I don't agree there's not a single RAW interpretation.

Remove ads