• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pyrohydra

Nail

First Post
frankthedm said:
:lol: Though i am pretty damn sure it does not work that way! :lol:
3d6 x 6 heads equals 18d6.

Where'd you get the 108d6???

[EDIT] Ah. You mean 3d6 x 6 heads x 6 heads? Bizarre.

sjmiller

Explorer
frankthedm said:
You might want to switch Toughness for Improved Toughness if that feat is used in the game.

If they Hydra has 6 or more heads, have it take Improved Natural Weapon (Bite) before it take Weapon Focus (Bite). A +1 to hit is worth trading for 2d8 on each hit.
I will have to check my books to see if I have those available. They are things to consider...

frankthedm said:
And since we are in cheese the players mode, re-read the pyrohydra breath weapon...
But since I am most definitely not in that mode I will ignore the rest. :D

frankthedm

First Post
Nail said:
[EDIT] Ah. You mean 3d6 x 6 heads x 6 heads? Bizarre.
[3d6 x 6 heads] for each jet is the damage.

Some were thinking each Head did it's own jet of 3d6 in a 10'x10x20' area with it's own save. But the text indicates "Each jet deals 3d6 points of fire damage per head".

frankthedm

First Post
sjmiller said:
Each of the pyrohydra heads can breath a 10'x10'x20' jet of flame doing 3d6 damage every 1d4 rounds. I am assuming that I can have those breath attacks target six different opponents and that each one requires a separate save to reduce damage. Is that correct?
No, The hydra does not get seperate jets of flame per head. The Jet is [3d6 x # of heads] of fire damage. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is 10 + ½ hydra’s original number of heads + hydra’s Con modifier. The victim does not get a number of saves = hydra's heads, nor do they get to count their fire resist a number of times = hydra's heads

If you want to let the Hydra spread the fire out, I'd say each head should do a 20' line of fire, 3d6 with ther save being 10 + Con modifier.

I also assume that if a head is breathing the jet it cannot also make a biting attack.
Correct, unless you give the thing the Monsterous feat "Snatch"

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
No, The hydra does not get seperate jets of flame per head.
Certainly this makes the breath weapon more powerful than the "Jets operating indiviudally from each head" ruling...

But I'd rather see pyrohydras that have independently firing jets from each mouth, each one on its own 1d4 rounds cycle. Even if it does mean that Resist Energy kicks in multiple times.

---

Or perhaps each head does fire its own jet independently, but the damage for each one is multiplied: a 5-headed pyro means 5 heads capable of a 15d6 jet of flame...

Nah. That's overboard for a CR 6.

sjmiller

Explorer
Felix said:
Or perhaps each head does fire its own jet independently, but the damage for each one is multiplied: a 5-headed pyro means 5 heads capable of a 15d6 jet of flame...

Nah. That's overboard for a CR 6.
Which is why I think that Frank's idea on it is a bit off. A six-headed pyrohydra would do 18d6 flame jets every 1d4 rounds. That averages to 63 hit points of damage per attack. As a CR7 creature that seems a bit overwhelming.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads