Greyhawk as "default"

Let it be known that I don't have a problem with Forgotten Realms being set as the first setting to be released for 4E. I don't have a problem (as such) with Greyhawk being ignored in favor of FR, Eberron, whatever. BUT...

Can we then please see the end of that silliness of using Greyhawk as the "default example" in the Core Rules when nobody could ever buy and use the setting for it as they could with FR, Eberron, etc? In particular the use of Greyhawk deities for clerics.

If you're gonna ignore Greyhawk or leave it to someone else to handle, then by god ignore it, or leave it for someone else to handle. Get it out of the Core Rules or USE IT in a way that actually gives that setting more than just a useless nod. This is a matter of what makes sense to use in the Core Rules, not a matter of which setting hasn't gotten its propers.

Scribble

First Post
Man in the Funny Hat said:
Let it be known that I don't have a problem with Forgotten Realms being set as the first setting to be released for 4E. I don't have a problem (as such) with Greyhawk being ignored in favor of FR, Eberron, whatever. BUT...

Can we then please see the end of that silliness of using Greyhawk as the "default example" in the Core Rules when nobody could ever buy and use the setting for it as they could with FR, Eberron, etc? In particular the use of Greyhawk deities for clerics.

If you're gonna ignore Greyhawk or leave it to someone else to handle, then by god ignore it, or leave it for someone else to handle. Get it out of the Core Rules or USE IT in a way that actually gives that setting more than just a useless nod. This is a matter of what makes sense to use in the Core Rules, not a matter of which setting hasn't gotten its propers.

Voila. I shall make it haoppen in 4e.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Man in the Funny Hat said:

Couldn't buy and use the setting? Hang on a sec. Yep. I have a WotC book titled "Living Greyhawk Gazetteer" on my shelf right now. Plus, I think the generic adventures, like "Sunless Citadel" and "Lord of the Iron Fortress", were supposed to be somewhere in Greyhawk, but I couldn't swear to it.

As far as the deity names, who really cares? I never actually ran a Greyhawk game, but I used the gods about half the time, just to save myself building another cosmology. When I told my players a guy was a cleric of Hextor, I could be as sure they knew what I meant as if I walked in to McDonalds and asked for a number one, I'd get a Big Mac.

Moggthegob

First Post
You know what he means. Greyhawk didnt get any treatment at all compared to say FR. Hes right. Let paizo and Erik Mona allow the setting to thrive. Or atl east l et GG use it for C&C or LA

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
They won't be using the Greyhawk deities in the core rules - seems that they'll be using real-world gods like Thor and Odin instead - but they will be using "classic D&D names" like Tenser, Vecna, and Tiamat.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Greyhawk IP is licensing gold

Greyhawk will never be turned over to a 3rd party to develop. As much as I would love for loving and devoted caretakers to sheperd Greyhawk, like Erik Mona, there is to much gold to be mined out of nearly 30 years of the setting. All the spell names, dungeons, deities and NPCs can be popped in future products for a nostalgia touchstone.
Temple of Elemental Evil may have been a buggy release but it sold ok. Many of the old classic modules could be sold of to Atari to turn into new CRPGs.
The new default setting will use bits and pieces of Greyhawk IP to provide a link to the past. Again a touchstone with no meat. A memory. A ghost.
It sucks but I don't see a corporation letting the IP go. And apparently, WotC has no interest in developing it further.

Carnivorous Ape

First Post
I'm happy that Greyhawk will no longer be the core setting. It was used in such a half-arsed manner, they might as well not have bothered in the first place.

I can only hope that this frees up Greyhawk to be licensed out to Paizo, or someone else who can do the setting justice. Unfortunately, I am so pessimistic with regards Wizards that I doubt this will happen.

Anyway... I'd much prefer a very vague background for the 4E books - just examples and toolkit-type things.

Remove ads